Escape the Dark Castle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Doubles to singles to rerolls? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are certain relics and weapons that allow a double to be turned into any single. Then subsequently a certain trait if rolled becomes a further roll, choosing either result. E.g I roll a double and have an item that lets me turn it into a Might result. I have another item that when Might is rolled I get a further roll and choose either result.
Is this combination allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sylas1 wrote:
There are certain relics and weapons that allow a double to be turned into any single. Then subsequently a certain trait if rolled becomes a further roll, choosing either result. E.g I roll a double and have an item that lets me turn it into a Might result. I have another item that when Might is rolled I get a further roll and choose either result.

I would say no, as you didn’t “roll” might. You changed a die roll TO might.

But not only that, if you have a choice to pick something you need then why would you need to roll again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pike
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In this ruleset we consider modified rolls to be the same as 'natural' rolls. Whatever result you end up with on your dice and choose to apply, after any combination of rolls, re-rolls, and modification, that is your 'roll'.

Think of it this way: Modifying a roll in this game involves literally picking up the dice and changing it to a single result of your choice. Another way of getting to that same end result would be to have the card say "Roll your dice repeatedly until you get the result you wanted." We happen to use a shorter path to that same end, but you can see why we still consider the end result to be what that player has 'rolled'.

So, yes, you could technically achieve the combo you describe if you so desired.

It's a bit like how a player having to do something "in one attempt" might end up rolling several times due to items in their possession. That entire chain of dice rolling is still considered just one attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRubexCube wrote:
sylas1 wrote:

I would say no, as you didn’t “roll” might. You changed a die roll TO might.

But not only that, if you have a choice to pick something you need then why would you need to roll again?

The situation I had was I needed to remove one of two dice and not take damage or I'd be at a serious health loss. So I rolled Double Cunning but needed a Might result. I used a relic to turn the Double into a Might thus forfeiting the Block. I had another item that allowed me to reroll a Might result taking either roll in the process. The second roll could have been a Double Might which would have Blocked the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.