Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two questions:

1) Do I have to resolve all rewards or are they optional? A Quest card states as a reward: "move 2 captains 1 area". Now, one captain is in an Outland area, so if I move him, he gets closer to Farrenroc and the reward becomes a punishment. So, do I have to?

2) A burden card says "Quest: After resolving this action in a Sanctuary, you may [do X to get rid of this burden]". So, while in a Sanctuary area,
a) Do I have to resolve a Quest action card? or
b) Do I have to resolve a Quest action card and actually do a quest action (not take 1 hope instead)? or
c) Do I have to resolve a Quest action card, actually do a quest action, and succeed in the quest action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maj n. jeb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Knivel wrote:
I have two questions:

1) Do I have to resolve all rewards or are they optional? A Quest card states as a reward: "move 2 captains 1 area". Now, one captain is in an Outland area, so if I move him, he gets closer to Farrenroc and the reward becomes a punishment. So, do I have to?

2) A burden card says "Quest: After resolving this action in a Sanctuary, you may [do X to get rid of this burden]". So, while in a Sanctuary area,
b) Do I have to resolve a Quest action card and actually do a quest action (not take 1 hope instead)? or
c) Do I have to resolve a Quest action card, actually do a quest action, and succeed in the quest action?

1) I don't recall seeing the rulebook say whether it's mandatory or not, but with all the games I play, they usually have 'may' in the text to show it is optional. When playing Dark Frontier, I assumed it was all mandatory (even if it is not beneficial).

2)We ran into this situation last night when playing. My friend had that burden and the Quest location was something that was not in the Sanctuary. The burden also had the effect that each Prepare phase he would receive 2 damage.

We thought it would be ridiculous to have to clear the quest at whatever location it was at in order to flip the next quest card and hope it was a Sanctuary. The quests were difficult enough to try to do once (the 3 we saw were 7s and we had no modifiers), so if we did it that way, we're sure he would just die every 3 rounds.

So the way we played it was he just had to play a Quest card at the Sanctuary and then could resolve the burden. I believe we did not allow him to take the Hope instead of the Quest action.

Looking at your options, my opinion on what to do would fall between [a] and [b]. For example:

Quest location is Ruins
Burden says you have to X after resolving Quest action in Sanctuary

I think that if you go to the Sanctuary and play a Quest card, you would not get to Quest (because you're not in the Ruins), you would not get to take a hope, and you would be able to do X to get rid of the Burden.

After all that... I will say this is just my opinion and that I haven't found anything the clarify this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mb
majinjeb wrote:

2)We ran into this situation last night when playing. My friend had that burden and the Quest location was something that was not in the Sanctuary. The burden also had the effect that each Prepare phase he would receive 2 damage.

We thought it would be ridiculous to have to clear the quest at whatever location it was at in order to flip the next quest card and hope it was a Sanctuary. The quests were difficult enough to try to do once (the 3 we saw were 7s and we had no modifiers), so if we did it that way, we're sure he would just die every 3 rounds.

So the way we played it was he just had to play a Quest card at the Sanctuary and then could resolve the burden. I believe we did not allow him to take the Hope instead of the Quest action.

Looking at your options, my opinion on what to do would fall between [a] and [b]. For example:

Quest location is Ruins
Burden says you have to X after resolving Quest action in Sanctuary

I think that if you go to the Sanctuary and play a Quest card, you would not get to Quest (because you're not in the Ruins), you would not get to take a hope, and you would be able to do X to get rid of the Burden.

After all that... I will say this is just my opinion and that I haven't found anything the clarify this question.

That's how I played that burden as well. I just resolved the Quest action card regardless of the current Quest cards location. I did not try to attempt the current Quest card since I did not meet the requirements for it. I just played the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Scarborough
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Knivel wrote:
I have two questions:

From page 10, under "Quest Deck" (3rd paragraph):

Each time a hero resolving a quest action successfully completes
a quest, players resolve the reward on the active quest and then discard it. Each time an active quest is resolved, players receive the reward in the green box, reveal the next card in the quest deck, and place it on the top of the deck as the new active quest. If a quest skill test is failed then the players su er the fail results in the red box, and this quest remains the active quest.

The answer below gives as close to a definition of "resolve" as I can find. Basically, anything in a gray bar—or without "may" as previously suggested—must be completed

Evil Knivel wrote:

From page 6, under "Action Phase" (second paragraph after the Morning/Day/Night order):

To resolve an action card, the player resolving it performs each step of the action card in order, top to bottom. Each step of an action card that is highlighted in a gray bar is mandatory and must be resolved, while each step of an action card not within a gray bar, is optional, and may be resolved if the player (or players) choose. Note that optional steps must still be performed in order. Each action card must be completely resolved before drawing the next action card. 

Action Card Example

Based on the rule and the image, completing the gray bar (Battle or gain 1 Influence) should resolve the card (post optional sections if you choose to use them).

I'm checking against the digital "preview" of the rules, so actual wording and pages may be different in the printed rulebook.

Edit: Stupid formatting error fixed which disappeared half the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. So...

Concerning question 1, I'll go with the rule that rewards are mandatory even if it's bad for you. There seems to be some consent here.

Concerning question 2, I'll probably also go with the literal interpretation, although I'm not sure if it isn't just sloppy wording on the card. Some cards say "after resolving this action card" and some say "after resolving this action". Maybe they both mean the same...
As Joe shows in his post above, there is an extensive explanation in the rulebook what "resolving an action card" means. That there is no explanation what "resolving an action" means may be a hint that you're always supposed to resolve the card in the stated manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.