25 Posts

Finished!» Forums » General

Subject: I don't get that thing. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I haven't got a clue what you're supposed to do in that thing.

Working through that deck is just: fiddling fiddling fiddling no candy no way to have a suite a card fiddling fiddling fiddling oh god I'm bored fiddling fiddling fiddling oh look a candy draw a card ok send to the past great nothing to do fiddling fiddling fiddling oh look card 001 fiddling... 1 hour later... fiddling fiddling oh look card 2 fiddling fiddling fiddling oh god this thing is so annoying.

And thus have I never seen a seen a session of finished to completion. I get utterly bored by the 4th time I see card 048 usually.

What the heck are you supposed to do in that activity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

I like and understand your question well, after one play that felt fiddling to me and lasted longer than one hour (which I wasn't expecting after all) and of course ended in losing (26).

Though I think, there definitely is some strategy/tactics I haven't discovered yet at all, I'm interested in some answers by people rating this 8-10.

I find Friday to be very engaging and fun and thought to get a similar experience out of this. But concerning Finished! I am not even sure if I'll get it to the table again. Time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seqcon wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

I like and understand your question well, after one play that felt fiddling to me and lasted longer than one hour (which I wasn't expecting after all) and of course ended in losing (26).

Though I think, there definitely is some strategy/tactics I haven't discovered yet at all, I'm interested in some answers by people rating this 8-10.

I find Friday to be very engaging and fun and thought to get a similar experience out of this. But concerning Finished! I am not even sure if I'll get it to the table again. Time will tell.

Thanks
I keep trying to put it on the table as I hate discarding games despite the frustration, but this one really puzzles me. It took me a while to enjoy Friday too but I'm figuring out how to apprehend it.
Finished, though? Really, no. I never have candies, and I can never get cards to follow in number orders. It just feels like I'm fiddling without purpose and no opportunity to find one.
I'm really puzzled. I'm still surprised I haven't thrown it away yet but I'm getting closer each time whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf,
do you rate this game still with "1"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baltaistehws wrote:
Razoupaf,
do you rate this game still with "1"?

I do, why?
This is the one time where I agree with BGG's ratings: this defies the definition of a game to me. I qualify it as an activity (note that I didn't use "game" in the OP )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximiliano Sanchez de Bustamante
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Hi,

What the heck are you supposed to do in that activity?

Suffer... feel like and idiot wasting time... intrigued about what could be possible thinking mr. devil Friese when he designed this game.
If you ended the first play, after drowning in what to do every turn, not knowing what is the best action to trigger with your candies, but intrigued to do it better the next time: this is a game for you. Otherwise trade it and keep playing other games.

I ended intrigued... For me after two games and a half, when I don't needed the rulebook and the glossary anymore, I could understood the sessions with this game uses mostly a part of the brain that does mechanical works (system 1), without deep thinking and from time to time other part of the brain (system 2) takes the command to do a meaningful choice and the gives the command back.
So I'm in a relaxation flow most of the time meanwhile I'm playing the game. It does't mean I won all the time, in fact, it is a hard game to beat, at least to me, but in its niche, is pretty appealing to me.

Friday is other beast and the only things in command are the designer, and both are 1 player only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt Pepere
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that this is a game where you should try to get at least 3 follwing cards the sooner you can to get candies. Of course, depending on how cards are sorted, it's more or less difficult and having no candy means that you will lose.

If you always get the same combination of cards, it's that you're using your candies wrong. Grey, purple and orange cards will truly help you to sort cards differently. I think that Light blue cards are more meant to trigger combo with grey cards than anything else.

The interesting part, imho, is that you have to understand when to play the cards right. And there is a part of memory in it which is pretty complicated because you can't obviously remember where all cards are.

The more I play, the more I get certain things and I've managed to get to normal level. But you can't do nothing against a bad deck.

The only thing i'm afraid of is that, when I'll get how to beat the game, it won't be funny anymore.

Until then, I really like this game which first sessions are indeed longer than the promised 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to have some sweets in my pocket for when #48 comes along.

Then I do my best to delay and delay taking #48 by pushing it (and maybe everything else) into the future, or putting on the top of the deck.

I try to cycle as many cards as I can ahead of #48 to delay as long as possible drinking that cup of coffee.

I don't know if it's a good strategy, but it makes me feel good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Razoupaf wrote:

I've played Finished! eight times and love it. I hope to record a playthrough at some point, and watching something like that might help if you're interested in doing such a thing.

In some ways, this is akin to Klondike solitaire in that you're cycling through cards to try to move cards in a certain order to discard piles. You just have the added restrictions of being able to work on only a few cards at a time, and the cards don't pile up in front of you for easy movement in later turns, but instead they pile up in the deck and you have to try to remember what is where so that you can move those stacks to more ideal locations within the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

It is more reminiscent of conventional solitaire than other solo games you might find listed here at BGG.

Many solitaire games involve sorting the deck.

Personally, I find Finished! more like one called Idiot's Delight (also called Perpetual Motion).

In that game, you lay out cards in rows of 4, instead of the 3 here. Cards of the same rank are moved to stack with each other, and you get to remove them from the deck if you ever lay out 4 of the same rank in a row.

In Finished!, you similarly have the opportunity to pull together cards of consecutive rank and, the more you do so, the easier it is to do so more.

In both games, you gradually pull cards out of the deck, and doing so makes it easier to get more cards out.

Idiot's Delight is called that in part because the player really has no choice of what moves to make. It really is more of an activity than a game in that sense.

In Finished!, there are lots and lots of choices.

Finished! resembles some conventional games in that it bounds the number of times you can go through the deck.

The "strategy" that I mentioned earlier is a tactic to try to get as much sorting value out of each pass through the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in that Eric, hope you can get a playthrough recorded soon
Gillum, there are a lot of options for sure but somehow, I never get to perform them due to the lack of candies.
My mind has been conditioned into "drawing is winning" so I spend them to draw most of the time, but it doesn't seem very effective.
I've tried toying with the future but it didn't open strategies to me, and bringing cards from the past wasn't relevant when I had the opportunity to.

I'm really puzzled by that puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo just put out a run through for this so it might be worth checking out! I know I am interested in this game but now will have a better understanding of it when I check out Rahdo's video.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/164769/finished/rahdo-runs-t...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marchbanks
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I play games! You play games?!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say the first few times I played I was a bit confused where the strategy was but I haven't played many games of this type. Once I got 2 or 3 plays in I started to see how the actions really benefit the player and how important it is to make certain decisions. You want to create sequences if at all possible to get candy bonuses and really try and build for the next few rounds. There are also really interesting combos you can pull in the game to keep cards in limbo to score them in the same round or create better sequences. I have a good time playing this one now. Solitaire is not my favorite game style too so it kind of surprised me that I enjoy this one now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thediceyreview wrote:
I will say the first few times I played I was a bit confused where the strategy was but I haven't played many games of this type. Once I got 2 or 3 plays in I started to see how the actions really benefit the player and how important it is to make certain decisions. You want to create sequences if at all possible to get candy bonuses and really try and build for the next few rounds. There are also really interesting combos you can pull in the game to keep cards in limbo to score them in the same round or create better sequences. I have a good time playing this one now. Solitaire is not my favorite game style too so it kind of surprised me that I enjoy this one now.

By Limbo you mean future?
When cards from the future come into the present, cards that were in the present go to the past, right? You can't combine cards from both zones to sequence them and earn candies?
Not that I would have been able to do that anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marchbanks
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes in the future or by putting it back on the deck. There are multiple ways to make this happen. Sometimes you can also pull the card from the past and then put it back onto the top etc. Also the light blue future card allows the card put into the future to join the new cards in the present. If you don't enjoy solitaire you probably won't enjoy this one but once I learned some of the interactions I did find it enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marchbanks
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo did a play through and I also put up a full playthrough in the videos section if you want to see some of the different interactions. I was able to solve in the video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thediceyreview wrote:
There are also really interesting combos you can pull in the game to keep cards in limbo to score them in the same round.

For example, supposed that you have scored cards 1-5 and card 7 comes out in the present.

If you think (based on memory) that card 6 is coming along soon, you could push card 7 (or the whole present row) up into the future, hoping you'll turn up some cards and out will come 6.

Then you'll score 6 and, when 7 comes back to the present, score it (and replace it).

If you can't push 7 into the future of 6, you'll have to go around the deck another time (more coffee) before you can score 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximiliano Sanchez de Bustamante
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I'd be interested in that Eric, hope you can get a playthrough recorded soon
Gillum, there are a lot of options for sure but somehow, I never get to perform them due to the lack of candies.
My mind has been conditioned into "drawing is winning" so I spend them to draw most of the time, but it doesn't seem very effective.
I've tried toying with the future but it didn't open strategies to me, and bringing cards from the past wasn't relevant when I had the opportunity to.

I'm really puzzled by that puzzle.

The strategies are not apparent in the first game, and maybe in the first couple of games. You need to be open minded to try different things, investigating the power of each card and the possible combos you can do.

* Don't draw cards if you have 2 or less candies. Unless you know the next card and this one will be very helpful, for example, create a larger sequence of consecutive cards that will give you several candies or have the action you need desperately (in this case only if you have 2 candies)
* I would extend the previous comment. Don't draw cards for sake of drawing un less you are aware of what next. It is a waste of candies. It is even more apparent after the first round of coffee
* Use bring back the last 2 cards from the past card to, again, create larger sequence of consecutive cards or retrieve a card that has a power you need, for example, put a card into the future
* Take cost of candies of the action you can do and the possible outcome and analyse if your are going bankrupt, near of bankruptcy, even, or better in candies
* Like gillum says, try to push card number 48 into the future the most time you can. In the process you can put the 47 and 46 and so on in order as well
* You should try to remember chunks of data, for example: I have 4 o 5 ordered numbers starting in 15, possible consecutive, but then I have the 13. So, when you see again the card number 15 your mind knows almost exactly what will be next in 5 o 6 cards and you know/remember you need to pull that 13 and order it with the rest of the cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at the three present cards for big gaps.

If there's a big spread, drawing cards makes more sense, because you have more potential to do reordering.

If they're reasonably close, you're less likely to benefit - unless all three have high numbers and you're hoping draw some with lower numbers.

If one of the three has a number much higher than the other two, that's a good candidate to push into the future.

If the two cards at the end of the past have number higher than some of your present cards, they're good candidates to pull back into the present.

If your present cards include a "take sweets" card (especially one with high number), doing an exchange is more attractive than otherwise. If the card you draw doesn't help you too much, you can at least put the "take sweets" card back on the deck and get another sweet later when you re-draw it.

If all (or most) of your present cards are numbers lower than those in the past, that's a good time to play "Below the Stack." In those cases, it helps if you can remember what's the bottom of your deck (or are willing to peek!) - to make sure you're not inadvertently breaking up a sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Dill
United States
Magnolia
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would seem one of the best strategies is to try and work a 'below the stack' card into close proximity to card #48. That way (with the use of a sweet) you can move #48 straight to the bottom of the deck, without it ever moving from the present to the past -- and triggering a 'drink coffee' action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thelegendofhockey wrote:
It would seem one of the best strategies is to try and work a 'below the stack' card into close proximity to card #48. That way (with the use of a sweet) you can move #48 straight to the bottom of the deck, without it ever moving from the present to the past -- and triggering a 'drink coffee' action.

As we already tried to clarify in several threads, you always need to "drink a coffee", if the 00:48 either goes to the past OR below the stack. You cannot avoid spending a coffee!

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
thelegendofhockey wrote:

No, Henning from 2F-Spiele has answered a few times that this doesn't work. The intent is that anytime you move #48 from the present to the past or the bottom of the deck, you must drink coffee. The only way to avoid drinking coffee is to return #48 to the top of the deck or push it into the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.