Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently asked if I knew of any summer camps for young teens (middle school age) that center around playing board games. Not only that I do not know of any in our area, I could not recall of ever hearing of anything like it. Does anyone here know of (or even run) a board gaming day camp for kids? Is there enough interest from families? What other activities are being done there? How is it organized? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rensberger
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, I have heard of camps where board games were a significant, structured activity, perhaps not the central focus of the whole camp.

It's hard to search for them. I see a lot of results that refer to camp-themed games (rather than game-themed camps), and a lot of results that assume "gaming" means computer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Seijuro
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only heard about this once : http://geeknsoncamp.com. Not sure if it exists anywhere else yet... might be a starting point to search though.

Edit : also found this https://brooklyngamelab.com/sum/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gipson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know at one point, Weird City Games did a game design camp for kids. https://weirdcitygames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rensberger
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
erensberger wrote:
Well, I have heard of camps where board games were a significant, structured activity, perhaps not the central focus of the whole camp.

Just remembered: I do know of one sort of camp (one week of half-day sessions) which is entirely dedicated to one play of one game (which can only be played under these auspices)...

Quote:
The World Peace Game Camp is an opportunity for children to experience a 5-day intensive version of John Hunter’s World Peace Game. This camp is open to children who will be entering 4th grade through 7th grade. Registration is only open to 1st time players.

The World Peace Game is a four-tiered structure that puts the problems of the world within reach of the students. Students are organized into country teams with Prime Ministers, Secretaries of Defense, and Cabinet staff. Other important roles in the game are the Secretary of the United Nations, President of the World Bank, Arms Dealers, Weather Goddess, and the Saboteur.

Idiosyncratic, to be sure, but the kids who do it seem to have a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for their replies. Funny, it seems that "boardgaming" camps are rather rare. Not sure why that is; teens not having enough interest or parents not wanting to spend money on a "non-educational" camp? I would assume there are enough BG-geek students around as instructors.

I'll keep checking in my area if there is something related or whether there is enough interest for one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TaylonMoon wrote:
I know at one point, Weird City Games did a game design camp for kids. https://weirdcitygames.com/

This sounds amazing! I'd attend lol. But seriously, that's a great way to both get games played and promote creativity. make it two weeks long and the first week is spent playing different types of games, and the second is spent working on prototypes and playtesting them. Final day is parents coming and trying the different games the kids created. Top game gets sent to a on demand publishing company?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gipson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember right, at their camp, every kid would get a published copy of their game design mailed to them after the camp was over.

Definitely made weird city games earn my respect. I need to get around sometime to buying their ants game to show my regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.