Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Huw Barton
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is something familiar about Japanese games I have acquired recently in that they involve design stripped down to its hard core, with extraneous nonsense long since discarded during game testing. This is one such game. The theme could be anything, but providing electrical power to a city is neat and follows its own logic. Essentially this is a game about achieving balance in your two rows of cards (providing an optimal power supply to your city - of 10 points) and in besting your opponent in providing the most power of a type (solar, geothermal, wind, water and biomass - all are in play each game). There are two sets of each type (suit) of card numbered from 1 to 4 that are shuffled at the start and each player starts with a hand of 5 cards. Playing the highest value card, the 4, allows you to pick up a special technology card (a card that can modify gameplay to small extent - everything is tight and small margins in this game). So, there is tension right there as playing the 4 suddenly makes achieving your optimal row score of 10 that bit more challenging (remember there are a total of 5 types of power that must be scored in each game). Where do you win? Scoring some columns (types of power) and trying to win your row if possible.

It's like the tightest version of Battle Line[/thing] ever made with an extra dimension of play in scoring rows and columns! A great little game that comes in a small box but packs a solid with plenty of 'thinky' game play. I still haven't beaten my girlfriend at this one…yet. I guess I am still an apprentice HATSUDEN engineer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Zuttion
Italy
Udine
Udine, Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am impressed that somebody liked this game, that for me was one of the most boring, driven and completely uninteresting design ever.
Everything feels constrained, and not in a good sense.

If you have a horrible hand of cards you'll just lose time meanwhile your opponent will simply flood the board and get every point possible.
Mitigation of the luck of the draw is absent and I found all choices to be extremely shallow.

Anyway, if it works for you and your partner that's great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.