John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 game ideas where your choices are reduced. Your hand starts with about 9 cards and you play one and it's gone. I wanted a quick ending game. you can draw the cards that were discarded. In order to make the game function properly you may have up to 14 cards.

Bottom line is you're going to lose your choices.
E.G. the final card in trick taking.

Pandemic has a game timer and deck timers but you feel like your options improved as you go but your time to win is separate and educed as you play.

Is a set number of visable cards a bad game? Where in, after each turn you got one less option.

I don't know why I posted this but It might help someone including myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Some of Reiner Knizia's card games have mechanics like this. See Lost Cities and Battle Line. There's also Arboretum.

In all of these games all of the cards do roughly the same thing. I think they all have a draw deck, player's play cards down to the table that they won't get back and they also discard cards to discard piles which can later be drawn from instead of the draw deck. The game ends after the draw deck is exhausted for Lost Cities and Arboretum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pkleinhe wrote:
Some of Reiner Knizia's card games have mechanics like this. See Lost Cities and Battle Line. There's also Arboretum.

In all of these games all of the cards do roughly the same thing. I think they all have a draw deck, player's play cards down to the table that they won't get back and they also discard cards to discard piles which can later be drawn from instead of the draw deck. The game ends after the draw deck is exhausted for Lost Cities and Arboretum.

Thanks,

I am working with 9 cards and 15-20 turns I guess (discard reused). total turns sounds good but I assume the amount of choices is far less. When you fail, a bad thing happens to everyone on the board, then you get all your played and discarded cards back in hand.

You will hurt the team in a co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if the card game London (second edition) would be helpful to what you're speaking about???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warrenfitz45 wrote:
I'm wondering if the card game London (second edition) would be helpful to what you're speaking about???

I've played it alot... I know there is a tableau out in the middle. hmm
You run the city and pay tax per personal city column made.

I remember needed a loan.
Not a bad example... I think I remember having a hand that got smaller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rickert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) uses what I think you're describing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
The little-known perfect information duel game Strife: Legacy of the Eternals and its sequel work this way. You start with 9 cards in hand and play one each round. The cards combo with the cards that you played the previous round, and they affect your opponents' cards in different ways. As the game progresses, you have fewer and fewer cards to play until you've played all of them, then you pick them back up (except the last one you played) and continue on.

A great two player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
The little-known perfect information duel game Strife: Legacy of the Eternals and its sequel work this way. You start with 9 cards in hand and play one each round. The cards combo with the cards that you played the previous round, and they affect your opponents' cards in different ways. As the game progresses, you have fewer and fewer cards to play until you've played all of them, then you pick them back up (except the last one you played) and continue on.

A great two player game.

Thanks!

Wow this is close to what I'm doing. I got 3 odd mechanics interlaced, Actions help others in a co-op. I'll go watch the review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.