Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: With paint: How to distinguish between clans easily rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Liming
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I started painting the incredible molds. I began with the Turtle clan and used pictures found on Pinterest and CMON. The Bushi's may have enough green on them to stand out on the board. I am not confident the Daimyo or Shinto will be easily findable with how I have them painted. I can redo them with more green but even then it may be tough.

Once you have clans, Kami, and monsters all over the map it will be difficult to tell what belongs to who.

Ideas? How are you planning on handling this with painted figures?

My son suggested I paint the bases with 3 shades of the clan color. For instance the Turtle Clan: Bushi - very light green similar to mold; Shinto - light/medium green; Daimyo - medium/dark green.

Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely paint the bases the colors of the clans. Red for Koi etc. That way if worse comes to worse, you can check the bases.

Personally I will sway from the illustrations and paint them more color themed. Koi will be mostly shades of red with a little splotch of diversity for example.

My goal is that at a glance, you should easily be able to tell what clan any figure is allied to.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have that particular game but when I have figures that are similar among opponents, I just paint the ring around the outside of the base in the color of that particular army. I don't know the miniature base size of those figures but they may also make colored rings to go around them. Games like Conan have rings of different colors to attach around the bases to show their affiliation or grouping.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drgoldblum
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Homeless105 wrote:
I don't have that particular game but when I have figures that are similar among opponents, I just paint the ring around the outside of the base in the color of that particular army. I don't know the miniature base size of those figures but they may also make colored rings to go around them. Games like Conan have rings of different colors to attach around the bases to show their affiliation or grouping.


Yeah, it's a bit harder than that with this game as they have attachments thst go on the ring to identify what type each unit is. Something like that is what OP was saying with different shades being your best bet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Definitely paint the bases the colors of the clans. Red for Koi etc. That way if worse comes to worse, you can check the bases.

Personally I will sway from the illustrations and paint them more color themed. Koi will be mostly shades of red with a little splotch of diversity for example.

My goal is that at a glance, you should easily be able to tell what clan any figure is allied to.


This is pretty much what I plan on doing.

I also plan on painting the sides of the bases for the Shinto white, and the Daimyo black.

Monster bases will be mostly grey, if the monster counts as a Daimyo I'll paint the side of the base black, Shinto white.

I also use Vallejo texture effects on the bases to help distinguish different ranks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wright
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm hoping to paint each clan in the coordinated colour, and then paint the base to indicate the rank. I'm planning to paint a few clans before I paint the bases to make sure it looks clear enough at a glance. If it isn't clear enough, I'll paint the bases by clan colour with rank on the edge.

I'm thinking of painting the Kami as ivory or white marble statuettes - so that these are idols granting powers rather than deities in physical form. Not sure if this will make the most of their details, but it does seem more thematic. Another idea is to keep the white marble idea but colour a single accent feature of the minis (the sun, the moon, the front of the drum and drumsticks, the swords, the inside rolls of billowing robe, the trydant, the dragon heads). This would make it easier to read on the table.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Definitely paint the bases the colors of the clans. Red for Koi etc. That way if worse comes to worse, you can check the bases.

Personally I will sway from the illustrations and paint them more color themed. Koi will be mostly shades of red with a little splotch of diversity for example.

My goal is that at a glance, you should easily be able to tell what clan any figure is allied to.
Monster bases will be mostly grey, if the monster counts as a Daimyo I'll paint the side of the base black, Shinto white.
Monter upgrade cards are brown, so perhaps that color is more appropriate for their bases.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Holman
Sweden
flag msg tools
If I do paint them, I'll paint the base to help distinguish them
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
Monster upgrade cards are brown, so perhaps that color is more appropriate for their bases.


Good point.
I think I will paint the monster's bases brown.
Thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I am only painting the monsters. I do not care for the drab grey; but I favor ease of game play above all else, I think the colored plastic works well and looks nice on the board. The monsters must be painted.

The upside is this means, even full KS set, I only have 29 "monsters" to paint. I'm even leaving the Kami unpainted, I like the look of the white with the clan colors and the painted monsters.

As I was painting these, I realized how much has been approved since Blood Rage, the monsters are much, much better.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Definitely paint the bases the colors of the clans. Red for Koi etc. That way if worse comes to worse, you can check the bases.

Personally I will sway from the illustrations and paint them more color themed. Koi will be mostly shades of red with a little splotch of diversity for example.

My goal is that at a glance, you should easily be able to tell what clan any figure is allied to.


This is pretty much what I plan on doing.

I also plan on painting the sides of the bases for the Shinto white, and the Daimyo black.

Monster bases will be mostly grey, if the monster counts as a Daimyo I'll paint the side of the base black, Shinto white.

I also use Vallejo texture effects on the bases to help distinguish different ranks.


I don’t think there will be much point painting the sides of the Monsters bases - presumably you will still need to use the coloured rings for monsters to determine which clan they belong to each game and this will obscure the painted sides of the base.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Although I don't usually paint game pieces (I have over 30,000 1/32 scale miniatures in my collection, which are painted), when I do its usually in a "trim paint" job. This means leaving the base color as is, and just painting the faces, weapons, etc. It also saves a lot of time.

In many Asian movies, even if most soldiers probably didn't have uniforms back in the feudal era, you'll note that they show them in one main color for each major daimyo, so the audience can keep track of what is going on. For example, in Shogun its "the grays" vs "the browns," etc. its the same in the later Kurosawa films.

Of course, for special figures such as monsters and kami, you can do as you like.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FearLord wrote:

I don’t think there will be much point painting the sides of the Monsters bases - presumably you will still need to use the coloured rings for monsters to determine which clan they belong to each game and this will obscure the painted sides of the base.


I'm leaning towards ditching all of the base markers.

I will be looking for something to take their place, maybe something I can attach to the top of the base with a magnet.

My reason for this is that cmon only gave us one giant base marker for each of the six regular clans, and the Dynasty clans don't have any giant bases.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was thinking I might paint the monsters because they are nice and the grey doesn't look as good. I think the clan figures look fine as is and I have other things to paint.

If I'm really into it, I may paint each diamyo.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
goo The Dynasty Clans don't have giant bases because they can't summon monsters! They can summon instead the 7 Lucky Gods, who all have smaller bases.
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
goo The Dynasty Clans don't have giant bases because they can't summon monsters! They can summon instead the 7 Lucky Gods, who all have smaller bases.


Yes, I am aware of this and will play them as intended for at least the first few times.

In the future I may house rule them to be like the other clans.

I will paint the lucky God bases metallic bronze, since my monsters will now have brown bases.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.