Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » British Columbia

Subject: Trumpeter Salute 2018: Tabletop Games Convention (Vancouver/Burnaby) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Trumpeter Tabletop Games Convention proudly presents Trumpeter Salute 2018 (45th Annual): March 16-17-18th, 2018.

Location: Bonsor Recreation Complex, Burnaby (next to Metrotown) on the 2nd floor.

Price: Attend ALL 3-Days: $30 / Friday: $10 / Saturday: $20 / Sunday: $10

NOTE: If you just want to observe the convention you are called a visitor and the rate to attend Trumpeter Salute 2018 for visitors is $0. Free.

Visitors are given a pin-on-badge that says, VISITOR. Visitors may not participate in games while wearing a VISITOR badge nor may a person play a game without wearing a badge. Badges, other than the visitor's badge, are proof you have paid to attend the convention.

--

Over 100 games are presented during the course of the convention. Although the convention caters mainly to miniatures gaming, board gaming represents a large component of the total number of games presented during Trumpeter Salute. For more information about Trumpeter Salute 2018, go to: http://www.trumpetersociety.com

Also featuring at Trumpeter Salute 2018:
Warhammer 40K Tournament
Watch The Skies https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/watch-the-skies-at-trumpeters-sa...

Trumpeter Salute 2018 Webpage: https://trumpetergaming.weebly.com/trumpeter-salute-2018.htm...

--

Trumpeter Salute 2018 Poster

--

Trumpeter Salute is one of the longest continuously running tabletop games conventions in North America first starting in 1974.

The Trumpeter Society is North America's oldest Tabletop Games Society founded in 1964.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lack of a price for the event on this post, on the first page of the website, and even on the registration page for the event, cuts down on the likelihood of my attending this event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The beauty of this system is that it allows for editing: FIXED

Thank you for pointing out the problem.

Note that Trumpeter Salute has been the least expensive 3-Day convention to attend in the Vancouver area for over 10 years. We haven't changed our pricing in a very long time.

Prices to attend are also listed on the Trumpeter Salute 2018 webpage in several locations and has been since May 2017. The downloadable Trumpeter Salute 2018 poster, found on the Trumpeter Society website (Trumpeter Salute 2018 webpage) also features admission prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Much clearer now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
not super familiar with this convention, but do people play wings of glory at it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dylan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amish_rabbi wrote:
not super familiar with this convention, but do people play wings of glory at it?

We could... As I have both Wings and Sails of Glory...

There is many tabletop games being offered... We will see about either getting the scheduled games posted at some point or a link... Otherwise perhaps the previous years offerings as an example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Emryys wrote:
amish_rabbi wrote:

There is many tabletop games being offered... We will see about either getting the scheduled games posted at some point or a link... Otherwise perhaps the previous years offerings as an example

Would be great to see a list. I just got a bunch of wwII stuff so im excited to see other peoples setups

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Zigante
Canada
Pitt Meadows
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emryys wrote:
amish_rabbi wrote:

I'll definitely join in if it's hosted. Alternatively Canvas Eagles is also being hosted so plenty of flying to be had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be seeing when a games list can be ready to upload to the Trumpeter Society website. Even a partial games list would be a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just uploaded a short PEL (Preliminary Events List) for Trumpeter Salute 2018. This represents only the games that have been confirmed to date. We usually see over 100 games registered and presented at a typical Trumpeter Salute convention.

Don't see the game you want to play? You can register the game and present it yourself! Never feel you have to wait for someone to put on a game.

You do not have to be a Trumpeter Society member to register or play games at our conventions or at our monthly Friday Game Nights.

The current PEL (Preliminary Events List) is located under the Trumpeter Salute 2018 poster. The PEL will be updated as soon as more games have been confirmed. Check back often.

https://trumpetergaming.weebly.com/trumpeter-salute-2018.htm...

------

Floor Plan of Trumpeter Salute 2018 with table numbers noted. This corresponds to the table numbering found in the PEL.

The floor plan is also available for downloading from the Trumpeter Salute webpage.

--

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, checked that out, looks interesting.

What is PEL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PEL = Preliminary Events List: a list of games that have been scheduled/registered for the convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never heard of such an acronym before....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PEL is used quite a bit but I'd prefer if it were just The Convention's Games List, as its clearer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Trumpeter Salute 2018: 40K Tournament
The Warhammer 40K Tournament information, scheduled for March 17th at the Trumpeter Salute Tabletop Games Convention, has been updated and uploaded to the Trumpeter Society website.

https://trumpetergaming.weebly.com/40k-tournament-2018.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trumpeter Salute 2018: Feb 15th PEL
The PEL was just updated. This is the Feb 15th update and may now be downloaded from the Trumpeter Salute 2018 webpage (found just below the convention poster).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No family/child/observer rates? $90 is a bit much for a dad, son and unlikely to play things daughter...

How do we sign up for events if we cant buy tickets ahead of time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are an observer you are called a visitor and the rate to attend Trumpeter Salute 2018 for a visitor is $0. Free.

You are given a pin-on-badge that says, VISITOR. You may not participate in games while wearing a VISITOR badge nor may you play in games without a badge. Badges, other than the visitor's badge, are proof you have paid to attend the convention.

Good point. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

--

Signing up for games is done just prior to the start of the game period. Sign up sheets are provided. This is deemed the fairest method, and used by all game conventions I have attended anywhere in North America, otherwise, most games would be filled long before the convention starts.

--

For the Warhammer 40K Tournament, you need to contact Adam Waugh (email: misterwaugh@hotmail.com) for booking/reserving spots. He has kindly volunteered to organize and run this event.

For the Watch the Skies Mega-Game, you need to go to their website to purchase tickets:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/watch-the-skies-at-trumpeters-sa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erichotz wrote:
If you are an observer you are called a visitor and the rate to attend Trumpeter Salute 2018 for a visitor is $0. Free.

You are given a pin-on-badge that says, VISITOR. You may not participate in games while wearing a VISITOR badge nor may you play in games without a badge. Badges, other than the visitor's badge, are proof you have paid to attend the convention.

Good point. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

--

Signing up for games is done just prior to the start of the game period. Sign up sheets are provided. This is deemed the fairest method, and used by all game conventions I have attended anywhere in North America, otherwise, most games would be filled long before the convention starts.

--

For the Warhammer 40K Tournament, you need to contact Adam Waugh (email: misterwaugh@hotmail.com) for booking/reserving spots. He has kindly volunteered to organize and run this event.

For the Watch the Skies Mega-Game, you need to go to their website to purchase tickets:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/watch-the-skies-at-trumpeters-sa...

Could the two children swap badges and alternate playing games? So that only 2 players actually involved at one time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably no, but if you say, Eric Hotz said its OK, you will be OK. (I'm Eric Hotz and I will be at the convention floating about). I can see no harm in this. I don't think anyone would really mind; in fact, I think its a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erichotz wrote:

So you have just hit on a pet peeve of mine. This is not the norm (I only attend one event that still does this and even they (dragonflight) allow up to 70% online signups ahead of time). Paper signups in person are incredibly antiquated and awkward to say the least.

Continue as you see fit (it may just be that the number of events and attendance for this con does not break this old paperinperson system) but I utterly reject the notion that this is fair and common. Elbowing ones way to the signup table only to find out tha event you want is filled and now having to elbow your way to something else in a desperate need to fill your timeslot with a lesser choice is terrible. Doubly so when you have spent time and money to come to the con from out of town, triply so if you had to take a ferry with a vehicle.

You may want to look at https://www.warhorn.net/ or https://tabletop.events/ for the future. Or just find someone with experience in hosting excel spreadsheets online (bottoscon and GameOn both use this method and it is the best by far imo). Any of those options are simply superior to paper and will help grow the con and appeal to out of towners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will bring this up at the next executive meeting, which will be within the next week or so but that is obviously too late for 2018. Pre-signup was discussed within the last 10 months but as I recall its a technical issue dealing with software. I know someone I can ask within our society's membership.

If you are coming from out of town you could try to contact the person putting on the game and get them to reserve you a place. I have seen this done before but cannot recall if this was at Enfilade (USA/Washington State convention or at Trumpeter Salute).

We did try at one point allowing people to pre-book spots at our monthly Friday Game Nights but that was bitterly opposed by society members. The system was scrapped after about three months because not everyone has access to computers other than at work and then this access can be limited. That still holds true to this day.

I don't think there is a perfectly fair system. All systems have their flaws. I've been going to conventions for over 40 years and have yet to hear people being happy with any system that was implemented including pre-registration. Everyone has their pet peeves. In many cases, more players can be added to a game if the GM is asked politely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warhammer 40K Tournament information, scheduled for March 17th (Saturday) at the Trumpeter Salute Tabletop Games Convention, has been updated with minor clarification changes. This has been uploaded to the Trumpeter Society website today (March 1st). This is minor but should be noted.

• ​Your Warhammer 40K army shall not exceed 1,000 points, with 1-2 Detachments total.
• Units are Max of Two of a Kind (outside of Troops Choices).
• No Lords of War.

https://trumpetergaming.weebly.com/40k-tournament-2018.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Final Games List has been Posted (Trumpeter Salute 2018: Tabletop Games Convention)
The Trumpeter Salute 2018 Tabletop Games Convention Games List (PEL) has been finalized and published. You can download the final PDF file from (found just below the Trumpeter Salute 2018 poster):

It was a bit of an undertaking to create this PDF file. It is an exact copy, with regards to content information, of the 2018 Program Book that will be given to all those who attend Trumpeter Salute 2018. The PDF version is in colour whereas the program book is published in black ink. Many Bothans died to bring you this information. This PDF file will remain on the society website until January 2019.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trumpeter Canteen at Trumpeter Salute 2018 (Tabletop Games Convention)

The Trumpeter Canteen Menu at Trumpeter Salute.

Local food services, within walking range of Trumpeter Salute, are also noted on the <b>Local Food Services</b> web page:
https://trumpetergaming.weebly.com/local-food-services.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.