Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Pluntky
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I now own every single promo and expansion place tile in the game and, well, there are quite a few...

Too many for new players to wrap their head around and the build a building action could take a while with so many choices (even with a player aid listing them all).

I know there was a new rule in the TMG version of the game as follows:

Quote:
Additional Rule: Exclusion of Place Tiles (Recommended for Experienced Players)
At the beginning of the game (before the first round), beginning with the Start Player and in clockwise order, each player may
exclude one Place Tile from play (from category I or II). Put the excluded tiles back into the game box. In a 2-player game, each
player excludes 2 tiles.

But removing 3-5 tiles in a 3-5 player game makes very little difference and especially if players choose these tiles it just adds more time and AP.

Is there some other alternative rules out there that I have missed, where only a small selection of tiles are used each game? E.g. based on the number of players. Preferably an official variant, but house rules would also be of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
The simple solution is always a market row. Put out an equal number of Is and IIs - five sounds good, but you might want players + 1 - and refill from the stack either as they get picked or at end of turn.

The drawback to this is that a lot of places are best used in combos and others can be borderline useless in certain circumstances (e.g. the Weaver coming out when there are only a couple of Cloth in the supply).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this problem too.

I solve it by putting out the base game tiles in one stack and the promo tiles in another stack. The base game ones are mostly self-explanatory or I can decipher for a player without resorting to the rules but then I warn the players that they are welcome to look through the promo stacks too but the iconography may be more obscure and I may need to pause the game to retreive the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have most of the promo tiles and my solution when playing with a new player is to remove approximately half of both the 1's and the 2's (at random) and then be sure everyone knows what's left and answer any questions before the game starts (and refresh if something is forgotten). That way everyone knows what's in the game and combos can be built without having to risk buying something worthless without knowing if the other half of the combo is in the deck (in a market row).

It also works to do this with experienced players and forces people to rethink strategies. (bathhouse + scholar's wild building is the go to combo in my groups)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon van Oorschot
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my play group we are thinking about only having a random selection of buildings out for a game.

In our last 3-player game we had 9 random I-buildings and 12 random II-buildings and that seemed to work pretty well. We also started out by removing the 'take that' buildings like Court and Prairie before the random selection, because we did not fancy a mean game.

With a random selection, each game will have different combos to go for and will up the replayability for the game.

The market approach, where you reveal new buildings after one has been taken, I feel that there could potentially be a huge luck factor, where the perfect building could come out for one player (example: school shows up after a player has gone heavy on the university).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Pluntky
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I think I will start using a limited pool of buildings in future games. The question is how many:

As suggested

I Buildings - 2 per player
II Buildings - 3 per player

Might be a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what your player count is, but at 3 players (my main count), having only 6 tier 1 buildings might completely keep anyone from going on the builder track at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Pluntky
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binnet wrote:
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I think I will start using a limited pool of buildings in future games. The question is how many:

As suggested

I Buildings - 2 per player
II Buildings - 3 per player

Might be a good start.

Might be too few, saw now that i made a mistake, the numbers suggested were actually 1 more:

I Buildings - 3 per player
II Buildings - 4 per player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Chatzidimitriou
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my variant:

Shuffle each building stack separately and keep them face-down. At the start of each round, the first player chooses one stack and reveals the topmost tile. For the first X rounds only level 1 buildings will be revealed (X=the number of players). When selecting a building, a player can choose one of the revealed buildings of the corresponding level.

The main reason we did that is because for new players it is too much to keep track of all the different buildings they can build. So by revealing just 1 per round the available options increase sensibly.

Also this adds a layer of variability since a) only 18 buildings are revealed per game and b) as mentioned above, the order in which the buildings are revealed and the timing can change their importance dramatically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.