Subject: Advise on what to buy for the family play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deathmvp Deathmvp
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
My 2 boys for my birthday decided to get me the X-wing Miniatures Game (it will arrive next week). From reading I will need to buy more stuff for this (I can put about $20 a month to it). Unlike what I have seen I will not be able to pick a side and will need to buy it as balanced as I can for the reb and imps. I know I need to get the other version of the core then they got me but I would like to know what should be my next few purcheses so that I can keep it balanced but I can play agenst my 2 boys or them agenst each-other?

Also I see they also sell Mats for like $50 but it looks like it would be a wast of money. Do you all feel the mats are worth it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias M
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The early waves have a lot of suitable ships for this. An A-Wing and a TIE-interceptor give you kind of the same point value for both factions (but different play styles and stats). It is similar for TIE-Defender/E-Wing, TIE-Advanced/X-Wing, YT-2400/Decimator, Lambda/HWK, ...

Game mats: They are not really needed for casual play, although they improve the experience, since models slide aroung less often. Get one if you play it very often. Then get a sheaper one and not the overpriced 50 $ version. There are also cheaper alternatives. A friend of mine was using a piece of cloth. Some people use yoga mats ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for a mat...I went to the local fabric store and found a suitable starry looking cloth and bought a yard. It has worked just fine for me. Cost about $10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar situation. Are you and your boys more interested in Luke vs Vader or Poe vs Kylo? I'm planning on buying more by flavor than how good things are. You can always give one side or the other a squad handicap to balance it out. Also, the YouTube user crabbok just redid his "what to buy 1st" videos. From that it sounds like Hero's of the Resistance and Imperial Veterans are really good value and have 2 ships each, but they run a bit over your monthly budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”-Thorin Oakenshield
badge
"Joooe Cool, hanging 'round the water fountain..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the website! have some Geek Gold

X wing is a great game, I'm glad you like it. As for game mats, I spent quite a bit on mine, and though I don't think a fancy one is necessary, having some kind of playmat is helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
For the mat, I mostly use an extra-wide yoga mat, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Direct-Extra-Wide-Black/dp/B007M...

Cut it in half with good shears and you have 2 3X3 mats. Put them side-by-side for a large epic-style match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schmidt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the slippery slope...

Don't forget, ebay is your friend. I have an official play mat which only cost me $35 instead of $50. I watch for resellers looking to part out ships without upgrade cards. You need the cards when playing in tournaments so people will buy loose upgrade cards instead of a ship they have no intention of playing. When playing at home you can printout the upgrade cards you want to use.

HotAC allows for coop games of Rebels against the AI Empire. Everyone needs 1 Rebel ship & 2+(2 per player) Ties + some specialty Ties as needed. (You can proxy them with regular Ties) You get to run missions instead of just dogfighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy whatever ships you and your boys like. A second core is a good investment. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd almost suggest looking at the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign and see what ships you need. Best way to play X-wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got my first Core set just this past November and was immediately hooked. My approach to fleshing out the game is simply to purchase ships I recognize and love from the movies. Quintessential ships (for me):

X Wing (I have 3)
Y Wing
B Wing
A Wing (last one I need to pick up)
Millennium Falcon

TIE Fighter (I have 4)
TIE Bomber
TIE Interceptor (I want 2)

I may end up with some more of the fancier TIE ships, but the game will feel complete for me once I pick up the last 3 ships I want. This is a great game in that you can really choose your own level of immersion, although I will caution it can be a slippery slope down this rabbit hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Dyer
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heychadwick wrote:
I'd almost suggest looking at the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign and see what ships you need. Best way to play X-wing.

I would second this recommendation! My two oldest children (daughter and son) are interested in learning how to play; however, they are so competitive that I feel they would lose interest quickly fighting each other or feelings would be hurt which would also lead to disinterest. The Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign allows 1-6 players to battle cooperatively. I feel this will give me the perfect setting for teaching them how to play and keep them interested until they are comfortable enough to play each other in squad battles.

The Heroes campaign can be found here: http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who is currently building their THIRD set of Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, I definitely echo all things said about how great it is for families and friends alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.