Subject: Applying damage from a fight contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just flicking through the rulebook and noticed something I may have been playing wrong this whole time.

Say Orges lose a fight contest started by the Barbarians. Orges play a +3 and have +0 fight stat, while Barbarians play a +4 and have +2 fight stat.

Do the Orges take damage from the difference between the cards, or both the cards and Fight stat?

If just the card difference, they would take 1 damage. Including the Barbarian fight stat they would take 3 damage. Which is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog: Click here then click on "Blogs" in the menu bar
badge
Follow me on Twitter: @BoardGameBeacon
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperAbobo wrote:
Just flicking through the rulebook and noticed something I may have been playing wrong this whole time.

Say Orges lose a fight contest started by the Barbarians. Orges play a +3 and have +0 fight stat, while Barbarians play a +4 and have +2 fight stat.

Do the Orges take damage from the difference between the cards, or both the cards and Fight stat?

If just the card difference, they would take 1 damage. Including the Barbarian fight stat they would take 3 damage. Which is correct?

If both players played live cards the Ogre takes damage equal to the difference in totals (card plus fight stat), so 3 damage in your example.

If the Barbarian had played a live card and the Ogre played a dead card then the damage only equals the number on the Barbarian’s card (+4 damage: enough to kill the Ogre outright). No fight stat used here.

If the Barbarian had played a dead card and the Ogre played a live card then the Barbarian automatically loses and takes the default 1 damage no matter what the actual result (because he initiated the contest he can only take 1 damage if he loses).

If both play dead cards, compare only the team stats. The Barbarian would deal 2 damage to the Ogre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
argentetbury wrote:

If the Barbarian had played a live card and the Ogre played a dead card then the damage only equals the number on the Barbarian’s card (+4 damage: enough to kill the Ogre outright). No fight stat used here.

This is what we have playing wrong. We have been adding the Fight stat when determining the damage the loser takes.

So Barbarians playing a +2 live card against an Ogre's dead card, we were totalling that as 4 damage (+2 plus +2 Fight stat) killing the Orge, when the Ogre should have taken 2 damage and survived.

Thanks for replying and clearing that up for me. Next game Ogres will have their revenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog: Click here then click on "Blogs" in the menu bar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperAbobo wrote:
argentetbury wrote:

This is what we have playing wrong. We have been adding the Fight stat when determining the damage the loser takes.

So Barbarians playing a +2 live card against an Ogre's dead card, we were totalling that as 4 damage (+2 plus +2 Fight stat) killing the Orge, when the Ogre should have taken 2 damage and survived.

Thanks for replying and clearing that up for me. Next game Ogres will have their revenge!

No problem, although in the example you gave you said the card was a +4 card (and the Barbarian's stat was +2), so even the card on its own would've been enough to kill an Ogre (given that the Ogre played a dead card).

Those Ogres are tough but they're rather lacklustre. Athough my worst Kaosball disaster was playing as the Goblins against my brother!! See the match report here!

If you're interested, a while back, I made a Kaosball Game Reference Guide to the teams and ringers which clarifies the team and ringer abilities and how they are affected by the game. It was shown to CMON before I published it and they gave it their endorsement so it's as close to an official CMON guide as we're going to get.

One last thing Ryan, what's your favourite team and why?
(I like the Trolls - they have great area control potential).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ogres are indeed very lackluster. They seem to be one of, if not the weakest team in the game. But I do like their Stomp ability.
I always like playing the underdog, so I have a soft spot for them.

I have used your reference guide in the past, it has been very helpul, you did a great job with it.

I don't have many extra teams. I have the Hellcatz and Zombies, but still want to get the Goblins as they also seem to be an interesting team. I seem to remember Eric Lang once saying they were his faves, and maybe the best team when their Mosh Pit ability is used to it's full potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperAbobo wrote:
The Ogres are indeed very lackluster. They seem to be one of, if not the weakest team in the game. But I do like their Stomp ability.
I always like playing the underdog, so I have a soft spot for them.

I have used your reference guide in the past, it has been very helpul, you did a great job with it.

I don't have many extra teams. I have the Hellcatz and Zombies, but still want to get the Goblins as they also seem to be an interesting team. I seem to remember Eric Lang once saying they were his faves, and maybe the best team when their Mosh Pit ability is used to it's full potential.

Yeah, I’ve played as the Goblins twice, with very different results. I also saw that video with Eric Lang and can understand why he likes them as they’re a very unique team.

Another team I bought a while back but not played with yet is the Klockwerks. They seem like they could be fun to play as.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
mb
They are both fun to play with and against. They can be unpredictable, due to the hidden nature of the overload ability. That said, they still fall too easily to amazons, but what team doesn't.

Goblins need to cycle their decks insanely in order to get the scatter (or is it scramble?) cards to move 3 players at once. They don't give squat about the score, but in a couple of turn may sceal off the game by playing those cards at the right time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sybaris wrote:
They are both fun to play with and against. They can be unpredictable, due to the hidden nature of the overload ability. That said, they still fall too easily to amazons, but what team doesn't.

Goblins need to cycle their decks insanely in order to get the scatter (or is it scramble?) cards to move 3 players at once. They don't give squat about the score, but in a couple of turn may sceal off the game by playing those cards at the right time.

Cheers for the tips Wolf. Klockwerks sound like my sort of team - high risk and reward!

I think you’re also right about the Goblins not giving a damn about the score! They’re the most unique of all the teams!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey james
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you guys play with any variants to buff the ogres or nerf the amazons a bit? Perhaps allow the ogre’s stomp to affect diagonal squares or allow them to stomp at the end of their movement? Or perhaps lower the health of the amazons by 1? Something to improve the balance in the base teams but keep the spirit the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff3316 wrote:
Do you guys play with any variants to buff the ogres or nerf the amazons a bit? Perhaps allow the ogre’s stomp to affect diagonal squares or allow them to stomp at the end of their movement? Or perhaps lower the health of the amazons by 1? Something to improve the balance in the base teams but keep the spirit the same?

I don’t, but I like the sound of reducing the Amazon’s health by 1, or maybe saying that their ability only applies on their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.