United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your recommendation for the best dueling and/or skirmish game going now? Along the lines of Epic Duels, En Garde and BattleCon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus leapt to mind? Not sure if it fits what you're after though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, good game, but I'm looking for one that is focused on the fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Banks
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for, but Hoplomachus maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for 3-4 we like Gorechosen

For 2: Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire, BattleLore (Second Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like Space Freaks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ooh, how could I forget! Wiz-War (eighth edition) is great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,
my own preference for skirmish games are rules that are indpendant from a certain range of miniatures.

Depending on your budget, there are several games to choose from:

For just a couple of bucks, you might want to look into Song of Blades and Heroes - a skirmish game for few (5-15) minis per team.
The combat system is relatively simple and the biggest bonus (in my eyes) is: No Bookkeeping! (i.e. you don't need to track lifepoints and stuff)

If you want to go for a free game, you might want to look into my own creation:

Whack & Slaughter is a miniature independant miniature skirmish game, means, you can play it with miniatures from whatever range you want!
In Whack & Slaughter, each player controls as few as 1 Hero (with 3 or 4 players, 2 Heros are fine as well), and the playing area doesn't need to be too big (24'' x 24'' are enough - as opposed to the other systems recommending 60'' x 60''), so W&S is highly cost efficient!
Don't be scared by the almost 100 pages for the rulebook: the first part is a tutorial, teaching you the basics of W&S and half of the book contains skills for your Heroes.
W&S is actually pretty easy to learn - but hard to master.
(And if there are ever any questions, I'll be around here and will be happy to reply )

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Some nice titles for me to look into...keep them coming :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Song of Blades and Heroes have a science fiction version? Could it be used for such? I have some Star Wars miniatures game miniatures that could do double duty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barx M
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
Does Song of Blades and Heroes have a science fiction version? Could it be used for such? I have some Star Wars miniatures game miniatures that could do double duty.

If you are interested in Star Wars skirmishes, have you looked into Star Wars: Imperial Assault ?

For 3-4 my group goes straight to Arcadia Quest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
My recommendations would be: Frag, Cry Havoc - readely available as Guiscard, Dies Aie, and the newest: Ager Sanguinis - and DDM (Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures) The Guild is creating version 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Song of Blades and Heroes does indeed have a sci-fi version: Mutants and Death Ray Guns.
I would heartily recommend the recent games Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire and Sakura Arms. Both are very quick and extremely satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have not played it yet, but you might want to look into Sakura Arms

Edit: wow can't believe I didn't fully read the comment right above me before posting blush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
I am checking into Sakura Arms which I had never heard of before this thread. I do like the idea of a few characters having a lot of variability which seems to be the case in my very limited reading on it so far. I'll admit I'm not thrilled with the goddesses theme but I'm not ruling it out based on theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Earth Reborn quite a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
As an update, I did end up purchasing Sakura Arms as a result of this thread. I'm expecting to receive it Tuesday so hopefully I get to play it next Friday. I've already read the rules a couple of times. I'm looking forward to it.

Thank you Gyges

Now if Sakura Arms turns out to be as good as I hope then if its Megami were replaced by Jedi Master, powers were force-using combat techniques, and the Mikoto (the players) were Jedi trained by the Jedi Masters, then I might be able to finally set aside Star Wars: Destiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.