Subject: Political Retribution at State? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/27/politics/lawmakers-question-s...

Some workers filing complaints, whereby higher caliber/ranked individuals were "reassigned" to clear FOIA requests, often working with people 10 pay grades below them, in this task. At best, a bad use of tax payer dollars, at worst, retribution for work that they did in the Obama administration. Some feel the latter. From the article;

Moss is not alone. Three other State Department officials who worked in the offices of special envoys created by Obama tell CNN they have retained attorneys after being assigned clerical duties related to FOIA requests that are not commensurate with their rank and believe they are being politically targeted. The employees have not received information about the basis for their transfers, the scope of their work or how long the temporary assignments will conclude.

In their letter to the inspector general asking for a review of the "FOIA surge," the Democratic lawmakers lay out a series of questions for which they want immediate answers.
"Were these personnel assignments made according to U.S. law and Department regulations? Were the rights of Department employees violated? Did political retaliation play any role?"
"In addition to being required to work in areas unrelated to their expertise, these employees have not received formal personnel actions indicating the bases for the transfers, the structure in which they are to work, or when these temporary assignments will conclude," the letter said.
Tillerson has made clearing a backlog of FOIA requests a priority and reassigned staff to what State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert has called "an all-hands on deck" effort to clear it.
Nauert told CNN that employees are being asked to serve in the FOIA office due to need, "without regard to politics."
"There is a job that needs to be done," Nauert said. "It may not be a glamorous job, but it's an important one."

This, despite the fact that many key positions are State are empty, and many have left State entirely, demoralized by what is going on there. The inset video is informative as well, indicating State has not used money that Congress set aside, to help fight Russian propaganda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of animals run this place? Making people work with others TEN PAY GRADES BELOW THEIRS?!?!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
What kind of animals run this place? Making people work with others TEN PAY GRADES BELOW THEIRS?!?!?!?

If nothing else, it's a waste of resources to have senior folks with a lot of experience do a task that is usually assigned to less experienced people or part-time retirees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That can be true. I work for the Feds and I remember the year that my entire job could be completed in one hour a day. For the other seven I walked around seeing who else needed help, tidied up the lunch room, alphabetized files, emptied garbage cans (until they janitors complained they had nothing to do).

But, if there is a backlog of work and you have highly paid people doing little to nothing, then by all means, haul their asses downward and get the pleb work done. The article didn't sound like these highly trained professionals were not getting their normal job done or that their position was suffering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.