Subject: Best Value in Gaming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because everyone was so helpful in suggesting and debating good warm-up games, I thought I'd put another question out to the masses.

What games do you think are the best values, and why?

To clarify, I'm not just asking what cheap games are worth playing, though that is absolutely a worthy topic of discussion. Rather, I'm asking this:

If you assembled a diverse group of non-casual gamers, with a variety of tastes in mechanics and styles, what games, available at a significantly non-Gloomhaven price point, would be your best bet to please the group (and yourself)?

Consider the following very rough and highly subjective preferences as a starting point:

- Thoughtful design and polish are a plus.
- Look for versatile gameplay mechanics more likely to appeal to a diverse tastes, and/or well-refined mechanics that provide depth.
- Lots of replayability is a must.
- Nicely made components are a bonus, but not a priority.
- A price point around $40/€32/£28, or less. EDIT: if you've got an amazing specimen that clocks in at $45-50, by all means, do tell. But that would be pushing an upper limit, I think.

What is your vote for the most versatile, engaging, Swiss Army Knife game available for a modest price? Or, if you're feeling ornery, what is a better definition for a "best value game," and what game fits it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
murjani1 wrote:
- A price point around $40/€32/£28, or less.

Er, that's hard.

Concordia is slightly above your top price, about $42 on Amazon. A great smooth Euro. People who need theme won't go for it but it'll make a lot of Euro lovers happy.

Above and Below is $39 on Amazon. A sweet light Euro with charming art. Good for beginner gamers but doesn't insult the intelligence of experienced players. Heavy only types might sneer.

Quartermaster General is $32 on Amazon. A freaking awesome Euro wargame, but one that plenty of non wargamers enjoy. Simple rules, fast gameplay, WW2 in 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Johnson
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best value to appeal to many gamer tastes would be a game system such as Looney Pyramids or a deck of standard cards.

I love my Looney Pyramids and the published games are very diverse. There are cute games I play with my 6 year old (Blam!) and brain burners (Homeworlds) that I won't attempt if I'm tired. The only downside for some gamers is that most of the games are pretty abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me that is Bohnanza. Due to the constant interaction it always seems to play differently between groups as well as with the same players. After hundreds of plays I still have not grown tired of it. At a price point of less than $15 I would definitively consider it to be the best "bargain" in my collection.

If a more advanced game play and nice components are needed Puerto Rico has always gone over well with a variety of groups. It usually sells for less than $30.

Another vote for Concordia and Power Grid would also be worth to take a look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
murjani1 wrote:
- A price point around $40/€32/£28, or less.

Er, that's hard.

I know, right?!

I might go edit this upwards slightly, but part of the impetus of the post was my ongoing curiosity at seeing interesting-looking games priced at what I think are diminishing return rates.

I understand that there is a certain baked-in economic model to pricing hobbyist games (like lots of other things), and that the market - being somewhat niche - is fairly blase about paying the associated costs. But I wonder how much of the cost drivers for newer, heavier, slicker games can also be tracked to the prevalence of Kickstarter origins. I don't know enough about game development to make anything other than an educated guess, but I would wager that crowdfunding start points lower the barrier to enter the market, but incentivize higher final costs.

My own biases are obviously present in the question, though - I personally don't care much about high-end miniatures, regardless of game type, which seems to correlate with high cost. But someone who needs miniatures to be happy in his/her gaming experience has a perfectly valid valuation system too. It's just not me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Concordia is slightly above your top price, about $42 on Amazon. A great smooth Euro. People who need theme won't go for it but it'll make a lot of Euro lovers happy.

Above and Below is $39 on Amazon. A sweet light Euro with charming art. Good for beginner gamers but doesn't insult the intelligence of experienced players. Heavy only types might sneer.

Quartermaster General is $32 on Amazon. A freaking awesome Euro wargame, but one that plenty of non wargamers enjoy. Simple rules, fast gameplay, WW2 in 90 minutes.

And, since I flaked on this in my last reply . . .

Great recommendations, thank you! I've been looking at Above and Below for a bit - "charming" seems like exactly the right word. And I'm not at all a wargamer, but am definitely intrigued by one with some crossover appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestions already given. I would add The Castles of Burgundy to the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary o
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Mystery Rummy games are great bang for your buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Bolt
United States
Bar Harbor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R0land1199 wrote:

Second this. I have so got my moneys worth on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi is cheap, satisfyingly challenging if you play it properly, and since it is neither a Euro nor Ameritrash, you don't have the problem of people on the 'wrong' side of that divide rejecting it out of hand.

The Tiny Epic franchise also offers depth at low prices. Tiny Epic Galaxies is maybe the most gamers' game among them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
For me that is Bohnanza.

It is indeed a bargain, but I think it is too light to meet the OP's criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McCleary
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
WARNING: Caustic
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some suggestions:

Evolution (~$28)
Lords of Waterdeep (~$34)
Roll for the Galaxy (~$40)
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar (~$42)

With Evolution being the 'best value' since it's both the cheapest among these and has tons of replayability, good theme and really nice art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arkham Horror right now is sub $50 but you can find it cheaper, just keep an eye and snag, so much game and cardboard in that box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
ProudGeekDad wrote:
R0land1199 wrote:

Second this. I have so got my moneys worth on this one.

Third it, plus a third or forth on Power Grid and Concordia.

Looking at favorite games many (on-line)retail(ed) in the $40 to $50 range (when they are in current print runs)

There are still a lot of great games without a lot of plastic 3D board game markers that are reasonably priced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vegas Showdown is an excellent bidding game that can be had for Around $35

Wildcatters is a great mid weight economic game if you want to go up to $50

Imperial is in stock at Gamessurplus for $41

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daimian Dunn
United States
Keizer
OR
flag msg tools
Biblios

Pyramids

Coup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orphan Black Clone Club. Best underrated abstract on the market and on sale at coolstuff for 13$. Not shilling it, just stating the circumstances of that price tag. I would've gotten it at it's full price of 25$. I really hope this game catches on and starts a resurgence of matrix connection games because I am starting to like that mechanic

Marvel Legendary was 40 when I bought it at my local comic book store and my brother is always ready to play and I know the kids at my church would love it. Any game that can hit the table on a steady basis and I can teach in 5-7 minutes is great in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Beasley
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not easy to pick considering the price range but I'll try....

My picks would be (in no particular order):

1. La Granja --- Euro game about farming, not heavy, with a mix of solid game mechanisms that have yet to disappoint when introduced to new players. Currently on Amazon for just $40.33.

2. Viticulture Essential Edition --- This game is the most played game in our home. I personally would rank this very high in a top 10 most thematic board games list. Great thematic mechanisms, artwork and game components. Highly recommended even with 2 players. Amazon has this listed for $43.71.

3. Yamataï --- While in the middle of your price range I think this game is most certainly worthy to be considered. I can only comment on how it plays with 2 players and at that count it is simply a great game. I would not mind trying this with 3 or 4 players. I cannot talk about Yamataï and NOT mention the stunning visuals. Wow, does this game look great on the table and in the box on the shelf! Currently available for $44.95 on Amazon.

So there you have my suggestions. I think they are a good match for your set of preferences!

Cheers!

William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost every game in the database fits your price limitations if you buy second-hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Hermans
Belgium
flag msg tools
I'd say Rattus is well worth its rather cheap price and is easy to get into. There is replayability (largely due to the dynamic way roles are being picked) and leaves room for some strategy elements (but not too much for casual gamers). It's not the prettiest game out there, but the gameplay is solid. They will have to look past the dark theme, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express often goes for under $20 and is a great, quick stock game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itisalloutofprint wrote:
Arkham Horror right now is sub $50 but you can find it cheaper, just keep an eye and snag, so much game and cardboard in that box.

So long I have wavered on Arkham Horror . . . big fan of the theme, and of Elder Sign, but to be honest, the sheer number of expansions is intimidating. I'm not an obsessive completist, but I know the temptation will be there.

Thoughts on how well it plays as just the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenix_1986 wrote:
I'd say Rattus is well worth its rather cheap price and is easy to get into. There is replayability (largely due to the dynamic way roles are being picked) and leaves room for some strategy elements (but not too much for casual gamers). It's not the prettiest game out there, but the gameplay is solid. They will have to look past the dark theme, though.

This looks like an excellent suggestion - those kind of medium-ish Euro games are definitely appealing. And I love me some dark themes, so I won't complain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjpuzzles wrote:
The best value to appeal to many gamer tastes would be a game system such as Looney Pyramids or a deck of standard cards.

I hadn't heard of Looney Pyramids - nice concept, and I'll definitely dig into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chinagirlgeek wrote:
Hanabi is cheap, satisfyingly challenging if you play it properly, and since it is neither a Euro nor Ameritrash, you don't have the problem of people on the 'wrong' side of that divide rejecting it out of hand.

The Tiny Epic franchise also offers depth at low prices. Tiny Epic Galaxies is maybe the most gamers' game among them.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have played Hanabi and enjoyed it, though it is just a tad light for what I was thinking of here (or perhaps I blundered past the subtlety ). I have seen the Tiny Epics referenced so many times, but never delved into them - I think that may need to change. Galaxies does look excellent on second glance, with bonus points for a solo mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.