Popular Tags: [View All]
Arram Dreyer
msg tools
designer
mbmb
I need help with these puzzles.

Card 90:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The card says grinding, quantity, and distillation. I know we need 6kg, so we put grinding to 2 (3x2), distillation to 3 (3x2), and 1 liter because the red bottle says 1 liter

So card 90 worked for us BUT, it then says:

Take a red number 15 and add it to a blue number. I know we have to add it to 9 to get 24. Where does the number 9 come from? Is it half of card 18, and why? As far as I can tell card 18 is a load of sugar cane, why would someone add rum to it?

Card 56:

We looked at the manifesto, which said The Salty Peril, at least 2 ready-to-fire canons. We also heard that Johnson dies his sails red and is coming from the east. So we guessed it must be 6. Ship six has red sails, is coming from the east, and has 2 canons on the side. However, the answer is ship 4. Ship 4 has 3 canons on the side, so why is it the answer?

Thank you for any answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gylippus wrote:
I need help with these puzzles.

Card 90:

The card says grinding, quantity, and distillation. I know we need 6kg, so we put grinding to 2 (3x2), distillation to 3 (3x2), and 1 liter because the red bottle says 1 liter

So card 90 worked for us BUT, it then says:

Take a red number 15 and add it to a blue number. I know we have to add it to 9 to get 24. Where does the number 9 come from? Is it half of card 18, and why? As far as I can tell card 18 is a load of sugar cane, why would someone add rum to it?

Yes, it is half of card 18. The weights on the left hand side of the scale add up to 12, meaning card 18 shows you 12kg of sugar cane. You only need half of that, so half of card 18.

EDIT: You’re not making the rum and then adding sugar cane to it. You’re figuring out how to use the distiller, then grinding and distilling the sugar cane to make the rum. So you’re adding the sugar cane to the distiller not to the rum.

“gylippus” wrote:

Card 56:

We looked at the manifesto, which said The Salty Peril, at least 2 ready-to-fire canons. We also heard that Johnson dies his sails red and is coming from the east. So we guessed it must be 6. Ship six has red sails, is coming from the east, and has 2 canons on the side. However, the answer is ship 4. Ship 4 has 3 canons on the side, so why is it the answer?

1. The manifest does say the Salty Peril has at least 2 ready to fire cannons. This means 2 or more. It rules out any ship with only 1 - number 5

2. Johnson dyes his sails red, which rules out black sails - numbers 2 and 7

3. The Salty Peril is coming from the East, which rules out ships coming from the West - number 3

4. The drawing on the wall in Tonipal Harbor (card 7) shows Johnson’s ship as being light brown colour, ruling out the dark colour ships - numbers 6 and 7

The only ship left that meets all criteria is ship 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arram Dreyer
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks for those replies. I appreciate it. Your description of the 90 card was great, although, I have to say, we never would have realized to take half of the actual card number. I feel like that puzzle is a bit of a stretch, but I guess other groups managed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got stuck in there as well. I still do not see why half of the card works. After all we created rum...so I was looking for a glass or some kind of holder. Sugar was already used in the app to create rum after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
We got stuck in there as well. I still do not see why half of the card works. After all we created rum...so I was looking for a glass or some kind of holder. Sugar was already used in the app to create rum after all.

You did not create rum in the app, you figured out how to use the machine in the app.

You then had to add an amount of sugar (a blue number) to the machine (a red number, once you figured out how to use it), in order to create the rum (card 24). The amount of sugar you needed was half of what was depicted on card 18.

I don’t know, I pretty much just repeated what I said in my previous post, I guess if it didn’t make sense to you there, then it probably still wont now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.