Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the middle of a game. My son initiated a battle as impire. We both played the advanced tactic card that allows you to resolve attack after other player. How do we proceed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the one played most recently takes precedent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what we did. We had also already determined that the attacker reads their card first, so we played it as such.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just did that is goes back. Reversing the reverse makes it go back to normal.

Edit: But I can see the logic of your idea now. Another one for that FAQ which will be out any year now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
The current player always resolves their tactics card first, unless the defender uses a “cancel” ability. So you played correctly- current player switches the order of attacks, defender switches it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with the new rules...what advantage does resolving attacks last confer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i understand it correctly, going last allows you to use any double light sabers that are rolled to repair damage to units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
j41c wrote:
If i understand it correctly, going last allows you to use any double light sabers that are rolled to repair damage to units.
Yes, exactly. Lightsabers are only used to remove damage from units. Rolling last means you can save units from destruction. The player rolling first can only repair units damaged in previous rounds, or damaged by tactics cards. It’s a pretty big advantage, especially in battles with lots of 1-health units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobb Feta wrote:
j41c wrote:
Yes, exactly. Lightsabers are only used to remove damage from units. Rolling last means you can save units from destruction. The player rolling first can only repair units damaged in previous rounds, or damaged by tactics cards. It’s a pretty big advantage, especially in battles with lots of 1-health units.

Really? I assumed that the combat actually happens simultaneously, and so even if the attacker rolled sabers, he could use them to remove damage inflicted by hits from the defenders roll. And so I thought that the only advantage to rolling second is so that you know how many times you have been hit, in order to decide which dice make sense to re-roll. But this makes a bit more sense as well, since the attacker ended up having to remember the number and colour of sabers rolled and this felt wrong. Is this made clear in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
ArekKowalczyk999 wrote:
Is this made clear in the rules?

1. Removing damage with is a combat action.

RotE rulebook p. 02, "Removing Damage" subsection:
"A player may spend a die with a special icon () as a combat action to
remove one damage from one of his units."

(Emphasis mine.)

2. Combat actions can only be performed when resolving your own attack (see base game rulebook).

Therefore, from 1 and 2, we know that removing damage with dice result can only be done when resolving your own attack (as opposed to blocking in base game combat, so this is different in expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArekKowalczyk999 wrote:
Bobb Feta wrote:
j41c wrote:

Really? I assumed that the combat actually happens simultaneously, and so even if the attacker rolled sabers, he could use them to remove damage inflicted by hits from the defenders roll. And so I thought that the only advantage to rolling second is so that you know how many times you have been hit, in order to decide which dice make sense to re-roll. But this makes a bit more sense as well, since the attacker ended up having to remember the number and colour of sabers rolled and this felt wrong. Is this made clear in the rules?

It's a reverse from the base game rules, where the attacker has a slight advantage.

Because the expansion makes it a significant advantage to be a defender, cards which reverse the order of play are powerful. The defender is taking a bit of a risk by playing the "we go second" card to negate the attacker's card, because he can't be sure the attacker will play his version. If the attacker plays something else, the defender has wasted this powerful card, and the opportunity to play something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hancock
msg tools
This makes sense to me.
Do you still think this process is correct having had other replies and perhaps playing it since?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.