Subject: Why is Luxembourg missing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Adamec-Ostlund
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Why isn't there a Luxembourg space, or at least a connection between Namur and Metz/Trier? Is it for game balance or was there some historical consideration?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Hellfaier
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

not sure about your question.

There is no Luxembourg because it was part of Austria.

Maybe game balance that there is no space for some duchies in HRE. Same in "Italy".

Look for a map of this era; this one is a bit late, but in this case it does not matter: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/HRR_1789...

Gerrit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Adamec-Ostlund
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
At the time of the war Luxembourg was part of the Spanish Netherlands. You can see it on your map, it's west of Trier. And while yes, the map would be pretty cramped if it had a fortress, it's still odd that the area is completely impassable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This area is the Ardennes region, a rugged and forested landscape which as we all know is impassible to armies . However notwithstanding the events here in WW2, I think it makes sense to have this be very difficult or impassible terrain. Does anyone know were there any movements of armies through this region in the seventeenth or eighteenth centuries?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don H
United States
Atlanta
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Some of my design considerations are beginning to fade (it's been 10 years since the current map started to take shape), but I believe the lack of connections through the Ardennes was primarily historical. The armies of this region relied heavily on rivers and depots for logistical support and I couldn't find any example of period armies campaigning through it, and it's described in various sources as a barrier, etc. There was also a game balance consideration - highlighting the importance of Trier (which includes Trarbach) as a natural bottleneck of the Moselle "invasion route" into France, which Marlborough abandoned in 1705.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Rettel
Luxembourg
Dudelange
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a Luxembourger whistle
=> some key historical dates for Luxembourg

After a siege directed by Vauban, the troops of Louis XIV take the city and fortress of Luxembourg. Important fortification works are carried out.

Under the Treaty of Ryswick, Louis XIV is obliged to return the Duchy of Luxembourg to Spain.
1701-1714 War of the Spanish Succession

Following the War of the Spanish Succession, the provinces of the Netherlands are assigned to Charles VI of Austria. Luxembourg falls under Austrian control.

...and concerning the fortress called "Gibraltar of the North":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_of_Luxembourg#Spanish...

Somehow I'd agree that the terrain was impassable, because there was a strong fortress
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.