War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Drawing a Smeagol Tile While Declared in a FP Stronghold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Sherman
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
So, in the game my friends and I are in the midst of we ran across a scenario that strikes us as without an immediate answer. If the Free Peoples player draws a Smeagol tile after having already declared in a FP stronghold, does Smeagol become the guide? Does he simply get discarded and Gollum come into play? Many thanks for anyone and all for shedding light on this question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's unlucky. As far as I can tell, he would become guide and then immediately be discarded. Gollum would not come into play, though, until the last companion has left the Fellowship, as normal.

Edit: No. He would not be discarded. See below...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have moved the fellowship, then you are not declared in the friendly stronghold, even if the fellowship figure is in the stronghold. If you are trying to reach a stronghold, then you cannot declare in that stronghold at the beginning of the next turn, without losing Sméagol. I do not know of any cards that can reveal the fellowship while sitting in a free stronghold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sixtoedcat wrote:
If you have moved the fellowship, then you are not declared in the friendly stronghold, even if the fellowship figure is in the stronghold. If you are trying to reach a stronghold, then you cannot declare in that stronghold at the beginning of the next turn, without losing Sméagol. I do not know of any cards that can reveal the fellowship while sitting in a free stronghold.

I believe the OP is saying that the Fellowship declared in a FP stronghold (presumably Lorien or MT) and tracked through Moria while the Balrog or Gates Are Closed was in play, causing a tile to be drawn even though they were declaring during the Fellowship phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
sixtoedcat wrote:

I believe the OP is saying that the Fellowship declared in a FP stronghold (presumably Lorien or MT) and tracked through Moria while the Balrog or Gates Are Closed was in play, causing a tile to be drawn even though they were declaring during the Fellowship phase.

This is actually an interesting situation. I see two possibilities:

1) Smeagol is discarded immediately, or...

2) Smeagol becomes guide and remains such, even though the Fellowship is in a FP stronghold.

What would make this possible is the timing of everything. The rule is that Smeagol is discarded if the Fellowship is declared in a FP city or stronghold; but would that not have technically happened BEFORE the tile draw for Balrog or Gates?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sméagol becomes the Guide and is not discarded, as the declaration occurred before the Hunt tile was drawn. Thematically, you can assume that Sméagol joined the Fellowship shortly after it left the Free Peoples Stronghold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(And for those following along at home, this discussion pertains to the Lords of Middle-earth expansion...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
(And for those following along at home, this discussion pertains to the Lords of Middle-earth expansion...)

Isn't there a page for the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.