Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arian Metzler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
So here's the deal:
I'm a charter motorcoach driver. Bus driver for short. Often times in my job we take our group somewhere drop them off, and twidle our thumbs until we have to load and take them home. I heard of another driver who travels with a chess board challenging people to chess in his travels.
So I'm looking for suggestions for games to do the same.
Things to keep in mind: If it's bulky and fragile, it will be difficult to travel with. It's preferred to be easily teachable; many of my co-workers aren't exactly the smartest people around. Bonus points if I can play it on an un-level bus seat (although hotel stays aren't uncommon for us which could afford me a bulkier game).
So what's you thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some ideas for smallish games with few rules:

No Thanks
Hanabi
Port Royal
Kingdomino
Cockroach Poker

For a larger group: Bohnanza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trying to think of games without a lot of parts or setup.

A few ideas:
Love letters - super small bag, I think 11 or so cards. Very easy to teach. About as portable a game as they come

Coup - basically the same comments as above, maybe a bit more cards

Sorry for the lack of links, doing this on my phone

For two player game maybe The Fox in the Forest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Get an ipad, and play a growing variety of board games with iOS apps, like Agricola, Patchwork, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krubby wrote:
Love letters - super small bag, I think 11 or so cards. Very easy to teach. About as portable a game as they come

I've definitely played Love Letter on a charter bus on a trumpet case across our knees.

I was really skeptical about it the first time I saw it because of its name and the red velvet bag it comes in, but it's definitely a fun deduction game. Also available in different themes (like batman) with slight rule tweaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you will most likely be playing with, what we on this site call, non-gamers (read- normal people). So your best bet will be a deck of standard playing cards, you'll end up with games like Rummy, Hearts, maybe Euchre. Or, a Cribbage board would work well (and there are some nice ones for travel).
But, it sounds like you want something of a more modern, or unusual, game. Staying with the "deck of cards" idea, I would recommend you look at Loot, don't let the kids game pirate theme through you off (that just means it's easy to teach) Loot is a great, tense, fun game for up to 8 players. And you can find an excellent 2 player variation in the file section of it's game page HERE. That's my favorite, but there are dozens more, along these lines at any game store you walk into.
If you want to challenge that friend with the chess board (but you don't want to play chess) pick up a Hive Pocket set, a great 2 player strategy game.

For even more suggestions try MetaList of Small / Portable / Micro / Travel Game Geeklists
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An iPad, as mentioned above, will be the most reliable opponent, particularly for more involved games.

Is there a local games group you can join? You’ll play and learn far more games in that setting than from BGG recommendations. It’ll be much cheaper too than buying a bunch of games unplayed and then working out half of them you don’t care for.

As for small footprint games, you could try the Oink series, very small packaging and decent variety. Trick taking games (or any card game) might work well, but some flat table space is normally required and how much will vary.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yahtzee

Portable and won't alienate non-gamers.

Failing that, Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arian Metzler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well the good news is, some of you guys replies absolutely made me laugh on an otherwise really bad day.

As a follow up:
I actually am apart of a board game club. Never thought I'd end up really liking the board game world until a friend invited out to a session--been hooked ever since.

As for charter bus drivers:
They're a unique batch. A lot of older people take to charter bus work, but I'd like to say they're more open to things than most people because of the kind of work they do exposes them to a lot of diversity. So they may not be exclusive to playing rummy or solitaire, although I must admit Gloomhaven might be a tall order (I can just imagine me trying to pull that out of my luggage lol).
Thank all of you for your suggestions! Much appreciated. I'll take the time to browse through them to see what might fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.