H, Gua
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in my first dozen or so plays of this fine game, and I keep finding out that I'M DOING IT WRONG! ARGHH! I have the Queen Games version, and I can't parse the rules. This is something I'm usually quite good at.

One example: Only in my last play and after someone questioned it and we looked it up in the forums here did I play that payment of dividends does *not* interrupt the turn of the player who pushed the 2nd dial into the red. I'm on board with this now, but not based on what is printed in the Queen Games rulebook.

The second example is more troubling, because I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but after a forum search in the rules, I still am not clear: Industrial development.

1) Does the first company to *expand* into, say, Wheeling get an increase of 3 in share price? The rulebook only talks about *development*.

2) Now a second company expands into Wheeling. Does it get a boost of 3?

3) Now the first company *develops* Wheeling. The two companies get a bump of the *difference*, so it's +1. This is explained in the rulebook. Now the marker stands at 4.

4) Now a third company *expands* into Wheeling. What happens?

Perhaps if I scoured the forums a bit more I could find the answers and clarifications, but in my opinion, this is not clearly laid out or explained in the Queen Games rulebook.

So, is there a decent set of rules I can access? Perhaps the original Wabash Cannonball rules? Anyone? Anyone? Ferris?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Industrial development and also, where in the name of sam hill can I find a set of clearly written rules for this game?
1. Yes: on page 6, under "Increasing the income of the railroad companies", "Industrial hexes increase a company’s income by the value currently marked on the industrial city track of the city in question."

2. Yes.

3. Correct. It's +1 in Wheeling, or +2 in Pittsburgh, but yes, correct.

4. Again, "Industrial hexes increase a company’s income by the value currently marked on the industrial city track of the city in question." so if the value on the track is 5, the third company gets a boost of 5 to their income. The city provides the current value to each company present in the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Industrial development and also, where in the name of sam hill can I find a set of clearly written rules for this game?
msaari wrote:
4. Again, "Industrial hexes increase a company’s income by the value currently marked on the industrial city track of the city in question." so if the value on the track is 5, the third company gets a boost of 5 to their income. The city provides the current value to each company present in the city.

Everything msaari writes is correct.

To be clear, though, in the example given Wheeling was developed once, so it generates an income increment of 4 (not 5) to a third company expanding into it after that development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When a player pushes the second dial to the red he does the action just now selected and then the turn ends and dividends are paid and the dials reseted.

When you enter a space the shares of the company increase in value by the indication of the board. If it is one of the 3 industrial cities it goes up by the value of the city. If a new company reaches say Weeling and that city its valued 4 the share goes up 4 in value, if you develop the industrial city one step all the companies there go up in value by the difference, that is if the price goes to 5 (I do not have the board to check the vaporization of industrial cities which it’s different) every company there goes up just 1.

If a new company enters later it goes up 5.

The game it’s pretty simple because at any given point you can count the points on all the board where the company is (mountains, cities and industrial cities), add the starting value of the company and you get the correct price of the shares.

If a company it’s in Detroit the value of the company goes up every turn 1 because each turn that passes Detroit goes up 1 to the maximum of 8 when the game ends.
So if a company enters Detroit in turn 6 of the game the shares go up 6 immediately and in the end of the turn goes up another 1 because the value of the city goes to 7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hamigua2000 wrote:

So, is there a decent set of rules I can access?

The files section is your friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H, Gua
msg tools
mbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
Hamigua2000 wrote:

So, is there a decent set of rules I can access?

The files section is your friend.

Thank you all for your help! I have edited my orginial rant to reflect some of your comments.

I *do* know about the files section, but there are *many* files with either rules summaries or official queen rules, and I admit that I was (and am) too lazy to investigate which ones both clearly and correctly answered my questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
davidallves wrote:
When a player pushes the second dial to the red he does the action just now selected and then the turn ends and dividends are paid and the dials reseted.

No, the dividends get paid out first, then the turn continues as normal.

It's on page 7:
When it is a player’s turn and two indicators on the gauges are already in the red area, the game is interrupted and a Dividend Phase is called. The player does not make their move until this phase has been completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venser wrote:
davidallves wrote:

No, the dividends get paid out first, then the turn continues as normal.

It's on page 7:
When it is a player’s turn and two indicators on the gauges are already in the red area, the game is interrupted and a Dividend Phase is called. The player does not make their move until this phase has been completed.

The rules could handle this better, but this is clarified in the section on the Dividend Phase:

Quote:
When it is a player's turn and two indicators on the gauges are already in the red area, the game is interrupted and a Dividend Phase is called. The player does not make their move until this phase has been completed.

In the game sequence section, it tells you to select an action and then move the indicator. Presumably the portion you quote refers to the state of the dials before an action is ever selected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Queen Games rules has that in an awkward fashion. The original Winsome rules make it clearer: you choose your action, do it, then the dividends happen if they happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew A.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Add me to the list of people who interpreted that wrong because of the rulebook. So it's more like a series of steps, rather than conditions that need to be met.

Choose action then move dial.

Do the action.

Check to see if 2 dials are in the red.

If 2 dials are in the red, do a dividend phase.

If not, next player takes their turn.

That actually makes a lot more sense intuitively than the way it's written in the Queen rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.