Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Two sentences seem to contradict each other in the rules. Section 7.4.1 the last sentence reads In addition, units may retreat into any adjacent East African area. That seems pretty clear.

Yet, in section 7.4.4 another sentence contradicts this. I'm thinking that this sentence is redundant. It reads If either army is forced to retreat and has no space to do so (by being the last space of the track) it is permanently eliminated.

This may occur for the British in British East Africa.

Which rule is correct? In the second case is the unit eliminated? One of the rules must be incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Gilbert,

If you're questioning the rule, then it probably indicates there's a problem with the way the rule is written!

But quite frankly I'm not seeing any redundancy or incongruence.

Keep in mind that rule 7.2.5 says that if an unit has no friendly controlled area in which to retreat, then all defending units are permanently eliminated. So if there's any redundancy, it's that rule 7.4.4 essentially repeats rule 7.2.5. Still, I appreciate the clarity and reinforcement that rule 7.4.4 presents.

But getting back to the point... I'm not seeing how rules 7.4.1 and 7.4.4 are redundant. The last sentence of 7.4.1 tells us that either unit may retreat into any of the East African areas (adjacent of course). This sentence is written as it deviates from rule 7.2.5.

Then that sentence in rule 7.4.4 only says that if a unit is forced to retreat off the track, then it's eliminated. Totally different from what rule 7.4.1 is telling us.

Or am I missing your question?

Hope you enjoy the game... it is a really elegant WWI game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks Barry for the expansion of the rule, but I didn't say that both rules were redundant, only one of them. So my question still is:

If the British have to retreat from British East Africa by a German force attacking from Tanga are they eliminated???? Every war-game that I have played since 1969 would hint that they are. BUT, rule 7.41 has that curious sentence that says they can retreat to ANY area. Why put that in?

In short: Is the British unit eliminated in the case cited?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, I agree 1000% with your experienced intuition! They would be eliminated. (See below for rationalization).

I'm sure that sentence in 7.4.1 that you're questioning is there only to provide an exception to 7.2.5 (which says that units are only able to retreat into a friendly controlled area). Otherwise, retreat would be impossible from any space in East Africa as rule 2.1.9 (see below) says that there are no controlled areas in East Africa (except for BEA).

Thus 7.4.1 is simply saying that if you can retreat into an adjacent circle, then it's allowed despite what 7.2.5 says. But still, you can't retreat into an enemy-occupied space.

Why the BEAEF would be eliminated:
If the Lettow-Vorbeck unit in Tanga defeats the spent BEAEF in BEA, then the BEA must retreat (Attack Procedure, Step 7b, and rule 7.2.5). And in this case, then rule 7.4.4 applies. Since the BEAEF has no space to retreat to then it is permanently eliminated. (It can't retreat to Tanga as it's enemy occupied). I think this all jives with what you're expecting.

Rule 2.1.9 The East-Africa Regions: These circle shaped areas
have the same restrictions as the square shaped areas,
and, in addition, trenches may not be built and units may
retreat into any connected unoccupied area. There are no
controlled areas except those which contain a British or
German army and British East Africa which is owned by
Great Britain.

Sorry for misunderstanding your original question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hey Barry, I think you've got it. That sentence must be there as an exception or clarification to the case you cited. In short, the British can't retreat if backed agains the wall. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.