Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Weber
United States
Groton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son argues that "try not to think about the solid rock you're passing through" should allow one to pass through solid rock (e.g. an unconnected room). In his view, the requirement that the rooms be connected makes no sense given this flavor text.

With all of the indignation he can muster he has proclaimed that he feels "slightly deprived of a potentially unique and great game mechanic." Most recently as he won a contest of thieving wits and luck against his mother and I during mandatory family fun time.

The only solution I can see here is more mandatory family fun time until we're able to work this out like an 2 adults and a tween. Ultimately, I blame the publisher and game designer for this situation.

Two questions:
1. How many games do you think it will take to resolve this issue?
2. What is an appropriate compensation to be sought in game court?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason1024 wrote:
My son argues that "try not to think about the solid rock you're passing through" should allow one to pass through solid rock (e.g. an unconnected room). In his view, the requirement that the rooms be connected makes no sense given this flavor text.

With all of the indignation he can muster he has proclaimed that he feels "slightly deprived of a potentially unique and great game mechanic." Most recently as he won a contest of thieving wits and luck against his mother and I during mandatory family fun time.

The only solution I can see here is more mandatory family fun time until we're able to work this out like an 2 adults and a tween. Ultimately, I blame the publisher and game designer for this situation.

Two questions:
1. How many games do you think it will take to resolve this issue?
2. What is an appropriate compensation to be sought in game court?

So I know this post is tongue-in-cheek but flavor text is just that. I didn't go to college to get an English degree to not know what flavor text is.

Wait. That's it.

Boarding School. It's the only option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason1024 wrote:

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

But seriously, you still gotta follow the paths, otherwise what limits would there be on where you could teleport to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weber
United States
Groton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:

Boarding School. It's the only option.

Genius--this addresses not just one, but many issues in one fell swoop. Please PM with your desired compensation package as a live-in life/parenting coach. We will shortly have an extra bedroom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weber
United States
Groton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:

But seriously, you still gotta follow the paths, otherwise what limits would there be on where you could teleport to?

Rules lawyer boy argues (not entirely without merit) that "adjacent" is sufficiently well defined in English to determine the set of possible rooms to which one "should be" able to teleport. This school thing is ruining mandatory family fun time--unacceptable!

(edited for posterity aka spelling)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason1024 wrote:
grarrrg wrote:

Rules lawyer boy argues (not entirely without merit) that "adjacent" is sufficiently well defined in English to determine the set of possible rooms to which one "should be" able to teleport. This school thing is ruining mandatory family fun time--unnacceptable!
Show Rules Lawyer Boy™ the, well, rules. Specifically, Page 10. Advanced Maneuvers (Emphasis added):
Teleport — Teleportation is a special form of movement that
allows you to move to any room connected to your current
room.
You do not need to use Boots or fight any monsters in
the tunnel. You can even use locked or one-way passages that
you normally couldn’t. Remember that on the turn you enter a
Crystal Cave room (by any means), you can’t use any Boots for
the rest of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason1024 wrote:
Rules lawyer boy argues (not entirely without merit)...

Perhaps relative to the English language, but not relative to the actual rules of the game.

You could use it as a house rule - but then on what basis would you limit it's use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
He really has a point based on the flavor text alone which is pretty misleading. As has been mentioned, a look at the actual rules makes it clear that this was not the intent. Someone added a bit too much seasoning to that flavor text.

I absolutely love his indignant comment. For years, I taught students in that age range and I can almost hear some of them saying it.

Since I just got up, I’m too groggy to come up with anything witty to add to the discussion: might chime in later. But you could always stack the deck and make sure the offending cards likely won’t be drawn or toss them in the box for a few games. No card = no issue. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weber
United States
Groton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Jason1024 wrote:
grarrrg wrote:

Rules lawyer boy argues (not entirely without merit) that "adjacent" is sufficiently well defined in English to determine the set of possible rooms to which one "should be" able to teleport. This school thing is ruining mandatory family fun time--unnacceptable!
Show Rules Lawyer Boy™ the, well, rules. Specifically, Page 10. Advanced Maneuvers (Emphasis added):
room.
the rest of the turn.

The source of his anger (Angry Rules Lawyer Boy?) is the conflict between the rules and the flavor text. He has the audacity to argue that you don't have to "try not think about the solid rock you're passing through" if you're required to take a tunnel.

Clearly, his questioning of the rules using logic cannot be tolerated. Wife and I are beside ourselves for what this may bode for his future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weber
United States
Groton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
Jason1024 wrote:
Rules lawyer boy argues (not entirely without merit)...

Perhaps relative to the English language, but not relative to the actual rules of the game.

You could use it as a house rule - but then on what basis would you limit it's use?

ARLB argues that adjacent is roughly equivalent to "next to." So, if there are any rooms between the room you are in and your desired destination, it is not adjacent. Otherwise, it is fair game for teleport.

We played it this way the first time due to a lack of parental diligence. You could say we deserve what we're getting, natural consequences and all that. Even so, we're increasing his daily fluoride treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weber
United States
Groton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
He really has a point based on the flavor text alone which is pretty misleading. As has been mentioned, a look at the actual rules makes it clear that this was not the intent. Someone added a bit too much seasoning to that flavor text.

I absolutely love his indignant comment. For years, I taught students in that age range and I can almost hear some of them saying it.

Since I just got up, I’m too groggy to come up with anything witty to add to the discussion: might chime in later. But you could always stack the deck and make sure the offending cards likely won’t be drawn or toss them in the box for a few games. No card = no issue. whistle

So, at first reading this I'm all "great, just what he needs, more encouragement." But then redemption (joy?) arrives in the form of this outstanding solution!

While on a smaller scale than boarding school, this one gets bonus points for its economy. If he sees me do it--or I make him watch--it's also a meaningful life lesson on power structures and handling conflict. Our next mandatory family fun time is going to be epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason1024 wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
Jason1024 wrote:
grarrrg wrote:

room.
the rest of the turn.

The source of his anger (Angry Rules Lawyer Boy?) is the conflict between the rules and the flavor text. He has the audacity to argue that you don't have to "try not think about the solid rock you're passing through" if you're required to take a tunnel.

Clearly, his questioning of the rules using logic cannot be tolerated. Wife and I are beside ourselves for what this may bode for his future.

So clearly, ARLB™Patent Pending has a research assignment to back up his case: Provide precedents of other games' flavor text that conflicted with the rules and has been successfully FAQ'd to override the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to your next report from mandatory family fun night! (Great name, by the way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a minute, just had a thought.
We've been arguing about Rules conflicting with Flavor, but there is a far more serious issue afoot:

There is a FLAVOR conflicting with Flavor issue!

The flavor text is "try not to think about the solid rock you're passing through", and the ability is called "Teleportation".
If you are teleporting how are you 'passing through' anything? There is no passing, one moment you're here then *BAM* next moment you're there. There should be no 'passing'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weber
United States
Groton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
So clearly, ARLB™Patent Pending has a research assignment to back up his case: Provide precedents of other games' flavor text that conflicted with the rules and has been successfully FAQ'd to override the rules.

Now this is interesting. Require ARLB™Patent Pending to do additional work, you say? Performed at home where he can access both the Internet and any required electrolytes for performance of same on demand? This seems new but somehow familiar....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weber
United States
Groton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
We've been arguing about Rules conflicting with Flavor, but there is a far more serious issue afoot:

The flavor text is "try not to think about the solid rock you're passing through", and the ability is called "Teleportation".
If you are teleporting how are you 'passing through' anything? There is no passing, one moment you're here then *BAM* next moment you're there. There should be no 'passing'!

Ok, this is some next level stuff. It's as if Aikido and grammar had a baby named strict interpretive conundrum which upon receiving the APGAR slap immediately kicked everyone else's butt in the room. Brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:

That is why you mustn't think about solid rock you are passing through, as you aren't passing through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.