Subject: Unicorn ability clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy ZJ
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Before combat tokens are revealed, you may switch the positions of two of your combat tokens.

Question: Unicorn controls province Alpha and province Bravo. He has his [Diplomacy] token defending inside his province Alpha. He also has his [Army 2] combat token with a [Blessing 2] combat token defending inside province Bravo.

He decides to use his clan ability to swap between territory alpha and territory bravo.

What is the outcome?

Ruling 1: The [Blessing 2] combat token is "attached" to the [Army 2] combat token, so [Army 2] + [Blessing 2] go inside Province Alpha. [Diplomacy] goes inside Province Bravo. This seems more intuitive, but very strictly speaking we are switching the positions of three combat tokens, not two. However one could argue that the [Army 2] "ferries" the [Blessing 2] on top of it. This is also probably the simplest way to resolve using Unicorn's ability on a double-blessed army/navy/shinobi.

Ruling 2: [Army 2] goes alone to province Alpha, and the [Diplomacy] combat token is now blessed, wasting the [Diplomacy]. This seems more bizarre, but not totally implausible.

Ruling 3: You can transfer the [Blessing 2] from the [Army 2] on to the [Diplomacy] if you really wanted to (maybe you wanted province Alpha to be peaceful at first, but later changed your mind and decided you wanted to attack out of it). Unlikely, but just listing here for completion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario Alex
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can't swap the token with a blessing on it, since it makes it untargetable by card and clan abilities. We assumed it intended your own as well..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that you always switch exactly two tokens, but if you create an invalid situation by that, tokens will be discarded, when revealed. As for blessing, rules state it cannot be targetted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy ZJ
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackdaz83 wrote:
I think you can't swap the token with a blessing on it, since it makes it untargetable by card and clan abilities. We assumed it intended your own as well..

This makes a lot of sense, and I think it is likely the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberbands wrote:
Blackdaz83 wrote:

This makes a lot of sense, and I think it is likely the answer.

Dude, page 8 of the rulebook..... Blessings "If a blessing is on top of a combat token, those two tokens cannot be targeted by card effects or clan abilities"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Łukasik
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys I need a further clarification on the Unicorn's ability.

The text behind the screen says: "Before combat tokens are revealed..." - I always thought that the exact moment for doing so was right at the beginning of the resolution phase.

However, the 1.0 FAQ says that: "Q: How does the Unicorn clan ability work?
A: At the start of their turn, Unicorn can switch two of their
placed combat tokens."

I know that technically speaking every turn in the placement phase happens before the combat tokens are revealed, but still - do I use this ability at the start of my turn in the placement phase or right before the tokens get revealed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch, worth sending a request to FFG for clarification - probably a typo. I still think the ability as printed on the screen is the right one. Switching tokens at the start of your turn seems somewhat underwhelming, while switching two of them, after everyone placed theirs, makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Łukasik
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an instant response from Molly Glover saying that the text on the screen is correct and that they will update the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.