CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
We all know that BGG ratings don't work they way they should. People rate games for ridiculous reasons. Sometimes they haven't even played the game. Or can't tie their shoes. Or give Gloomhaven only a 9. You name it. So I've come up with my own game rating guidelines to replace BGG's. I'd be interested in what you think of my ideas. Please feel free to offer your own suggestions or even replacements. It takes a village to make a game rating system work. (I rate Village a 7.)

10 - Best game ever. It's chocolate chip cookies and milk. Or caltrops on a sunny day. It's Dwayne Johnson's smile.
9 - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Makes you want to take out an umbrella and jump off a London roof. So good you won't mind the ensuing broken legs.
8 - Good like Leonardo DiCaprio. I mean, really good, but you wish it were as good as Matt Damon.
7 - Cute kittens adorably chasing little mice and then killing them and leaving their sodden corpses on your pillow.
6 - A fast food cheeseburger. No bacon. I mean, it's not great, but it's better than Chipotle.
5 - Chipotle.
4 - Your mother-in-law in one of her good moods.
3 - Stubbing your toe and cursing like a banshee in front of the church choir.
2 - Food poisoning.
1 - Interpretive modern dance. With accordions. In Toledo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

5 - Chipotle.
2 - Food poisoning.

Given their multiple e-coli outbreaks, aren't these the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bradlee
United States
Bolton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused... aren't 2, 5, and 6 all the same thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I think about it, the more I'm okay with using a 5 star rating system. We don't need a 1 for broken when people don't really use it as such. A 1 in a 5 point system covers you hating the game.

1 - Will not play.
2 - There needs to be a reason
3 - Willing to play, might need to be talked into.
4 - A preferred game.
5 - Why are we not playing this instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are caltrops on a sunny day a good thing? Is this like that Geico commercial?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dear sir will rate your guidelines on a number by number basis thusly.

skutsch wrote:

10 - Best game ever. It's chocolate chip cookies and milk. Or caltrops on a sunny day. It's Dwayne Johnson's smile.

I like this one because it's Dwayne Johnson, I can't not hate or even dislike the man

Quote:
9 - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Makes you want to take out an umbrella and jump off a London roof. So good you won't mind the ensuing broken legs.

No game is worth pain so I would keep everything but "hoping Mary Poppins gives you her parasol first."

Quote:
8 - Good like Leonardo DiCaprio. I mean, really good, but you wish it were as good as Matt Damon.

I would say good like Krysten Ritter but I wish it was Tatiana Maslany. But hey I'm a fanboy of those two.

Quote:
7 - Cute kittens adorably chasing little mice and then killing them and leaving their sodden corpses on your pillow.

Cats are evil and secretly run the world. I would say "like a puppy covered in your favorite stuffed animals."

Quote:
6 - A fast food cheeseburger. No bacon. I mean, it's not great, but it's better than Chipotle.

Fast Food cheeseburger> Chipotle? No I would put Nachos, just cheese.

Quote:
5 - Chipotle.

Yeah that's about right.

Quote:
4 - Your mother-in-law in one of her good moods.

I have no mother-in-law so I would pick a passive-aggressive, bossy, lying older sister on her good moods.

Quote:
3 - Stubbing your toe and cursing like a banshee in front of the church choir.

Not relatable enough how about running away before asking out your crush out of fear of rejection.

Quote:
2 - Food poisoning.

Never had food poisoning but I had shingles and THAT was terrible.

Quote:

I like interpretive modern dance, accordions are better than bagpipes and which Toledo? There's like 5. My replacement is... any Simpsons episode in the past 5 years

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Or caltrops on a sunny day

Ouch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Ouch?

YOU are behind the caltrops strewn on the ground. Your enemies are charging towards you, soon to be screaming in pain, like the kind you get from playing Munchkin.

Geeze, do I have to spell EVERYTHING out?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
We all know that BGG ratings don't work they way they should. People rate games for ridiculous reasons. Sometimes they haven't even played the game. Or can't tie their shoes. Or give Gloomhaven only a 9. You name it. So I've come up with my own game rating guidelines to replace BGG's. I'd be interested in what you think of my ideas. Please feel free to offer your own suggestions or even replacements. It takes a village to make a game rating system work. (I rate Village a 7.)

I hate milk. Your system sucks already. I give it a 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hojoh wrote:
skutsch wrote:

I hate milk. Your system sucks already. I give it a 1.

Hate milk too, and don't understand why people do like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Damon is a good thing?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait...my policy is to rate a game I haven't played any time a thread about the rating system comes up. Do satirical threads trigger the effect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more of a binary guy.

1 - Matt Damon
0 - Ben Affleck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just change it to a thumb up or a thumb down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

You forgot "by geriatrics in leotards." I've seen it...brrrruuuuugghh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Ott
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
Just change it to a thumb up or a thumb down.

The fact that almost anything half decent on Netflix seems to have 5 stars now (somehow translated from thumbs) says this is a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
Taxylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i am lactose intolerant, so ten doesn't work for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
RingelTree wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Ouch?
YOU are behind the caltrops strewn on the ground. Your enemies are charging towards you, soon to be screaming in pain, like the kind you get from playing Munchkin. Geeze, do I have to spell EVERYTHING out?!?
Caltrops are a weed here (noxious plant).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8 Matt Damon is good, but he’s no Sam Rockwell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Drift Marlo wrote:
he’s no Sam Rockwell

This guy???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
No game is as good as Matt Daimon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.