Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Rivest
Canada
Blainville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it mandatory to move ALL ally tokens? Or could you move only one? I'm not sure how to interpret the part of the rules where it says that the effects of ally cards are mandatory.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Iguloy wrote:
Is it mandatory to move ALL ally tokens? Or could you move only one? I'm not sure how to interpret the part of the rules where it says that the effects of ally cards are mandatory.

Thanks!

We wondered the same thing, and took the rule book to be saying you must move them even if you don't really want to. I also figured it would include the word 'may' somewhere if it were optional.

Thematically we figured this represents that they are not under direct or perfect control of the Frodo player - they are kinda doing their own thing, trying to help but possibly with imperfect information about where the fellowship is at that moment.

For example, maybe they know the route Frodo planned to take, but don't know for sure that he's stayed on track.

The thought did just occur to me that the current location is considered connected - but the rule for moving an ally token states "any other connected location" so 'moving' to their current location doesn't seem to be an option either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When a card says "move any Ally tokens in play", you can move all, some, or none of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that you shouldnt be forced to move allys. These types of cards should provide a benefit for Frodo. If you were forced to move them that may hinder Frodo which defeats the purpose. Putting the word "may" on the card would have helped though lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Krieghund wrote:
When a card says "move any Ally tokens in play", you can move all, some, or none of them.

Thanks for clarifying.

If there's opportunity to make this clearer in a reprint or FAQ, it seems a good candidate as I don't think this conclusion can be justified from the rules book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly good to clarify but hardly needed, in my opinion. The language speaks for itself, after all, that’s what “any” means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Young
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Possibly good to clarify but hardly needed, in my opinion. The language speaks for itself, after all, that’s what “any” means.

In Aeon's End, "any" means 1 (and exactly 1), per the designer Kevin Riley.

"Any" is about as unclear as you can get.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1750651/any-question
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1756923/solved-clear-use-wo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
reddish22 wrote:

Any does imply a subset, however the category could be parsed as Ally Tokens, and the subset would then be those in play.

But (as Kevin clarifies below) the intended category is 'Ally tokens in play'

Quote:

To be fair, in the examples you linked the any precedes a singular (player) not plural as it does in this case. So the usage is subtly different - In the examples you link I'd naturally assume it did mean 1 player in the case of 'any player gains 1 life'.

I do think it's grammatically ambiguous in either case though, because the meaning of 'any' relies on context. 'Any or all' makes the intent and meaning clear. 'May move any allies' also clarifies beyond reasonable doubt.

In this case, whether or not we can nitpick the subtleties of English grammar to deduce a 'correct' interpretation, the fact is multiple people were unsure and in our case got it wrong (partially because I prefer to judge against myself if we are unsure, rather than stopping play to look it up and/or debate English grammar mid-game).

Also there is the rule that cards must be executed as fully as possible - that could be interpreted to mean that 'any' should also include as many as possible. We weren't just taking the card in isolation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrigkvn1229 wrote:

Applying the rules of one game to another game is always sheer folly. They are irrelevant to one another (unless both are part of the same series, and even then it's uncertain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Any does imply a subset, however the category is Ally Tokens, and the subset could mean those in play, not some subset of those which are in play.

No, the category, per the cards, is "Ally tokens in play".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Orion3T wrote:
Any does imply a subset, however the category is Ally Tokens, and the subset could mean those in play, not some subset of those which are in play.

No, the category, per the cards, is "Ally tokens in play".

Thanks for clarifying the intended interpretation.

I corrected my post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.