The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Question about Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riku Parkkonen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
So I got the base game and the 6 APs of the first cycle. I've only played the first scenario a couple of times but I already love it. Only thing is that I don't think my wallet will allow me to get all the expansions so I was thinking of only getting the saga expansions and nothing more.

Is this a reasonable thing to do? Will I be able to complete the quests in them with just the first cycle cards or am I cribbling myself by not getting the expansions in between?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Corbett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, I did exactly the same as you! The first saga expansion was quite tricky, despite all the cards in the Core set and associated adventure packs. I read a useful article which suggested that getting the Khazaddum expansion, with all of its dwarves heroes and allies, would help. After all The Hobbit story did have a load of dwarves as well as Hobbits, so thematically it works well. I have now got the Khazaddum deluxe expansion, and the cards in there should help with the Hobbit saga at least.

So a few more dollars/pounds/euros, should help!

Good luck and enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manolis Talos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game which is going digital by the way.
I am in the same situation with you and people did advice me into getting at least the first expansion Khazad Dum and it's cycle before I dive into the Saga expansions.
This way you get some great cards to help you with deck building. You don't have too, but it helps.
And the Hobbit saga expansions are all about dwarves and the best dwarf hero is in the Khazad Dum cycle. The last adventure pack.
So in my opinion, and based on the opinions of others, Khazad Dum and it's Dwarrowdelf cycle are great to have.
I got them and I want to focus on the Saga expansions now starting with the Hobbit.

A storage solution is what I need. And I want to make a wooden box to fit them all. Expensive as I want to get a carpenter to make it for me.
It is a great game but it is expensive. Especially when you sleeve all cards. I use Fantasy Flight sleeves for all cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“So most men teach, and few men learn.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
xwseliso wrote:

It is a great game but it is expensive. Especially when you sleeve all cards. I use Fantasy Flight sleeves for all cards.

Those are way overpriced! I'd recommend ultra pro or dragon shield card sleeves.They still protect the cards well, and are less expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tough thing to deal with and often discussed.

This game and others like it can encourage new players bleed cash once they come into an established CCG or LCG. Of course the benefit of an LCG is the fixed overhead, but it is still a HUGE overhead compared to a standard card or board game.

The designers do take this into consideration and each deluxe and initial saga expansion should be playable with just the core set and nothing else.

There are some good blogs and posts (see below) for minimum cost game play and you should not be discouraged from keeping your purse strings within budget.

Some options to protect your wallet include:

1. Progression: Work through as it was developed, I've been doing this for 18mths now and am only half way through Against the Shadow cycle. Pros - your card pool will always be relevant and directly suited to the quests of the time. Cons - expensive, difficult to get the packs you want a the time.

2. Saga: This doesn't have to be progression but the quests are designed to build on the card pool of each box. Pros - great story, campaign mode, developer experience runs parallel to the evolution of the other cycles.

3. Personal challenges. Even the core box has tons of replayability. Trying every quests with multiple spheres, refining a less than 50 card deck (eg. the killer deck) to really try out the engines that just don't work with a larger card pool. There is a lot to like from really squeezing the most out of an adventure pack or deluxe box. This includes playing easy mode with less cards, or all heroes starting with an extra resource. Easy mode is hightly recommended if going down the minimum purchase route. Heirs of Numenor was brutal, so brutal I had a 5mth hiatus before feeling energised to try again, now I'm in full swing again.

4. Personal interest: go with the deluxe or saga that speaks to you the most. You could go for Sands of Harad or Dream-chaser cycle to sample the latest the game has to offer. The same advice for minimum purchase stands - try easy mode and savour the content and replayability.

I will say, the more I play this game the more I love it and the more corruption assails me to purchase to get 'up to date' rather than embrace the game for what it is, a highly thematic and variable quest AI challenge and deep deck constructor card game. There really is great replayability in just a small number of quests and card pool. Deck design is a big part of this game and if you love that you're actually going to get more out of it if you limit your card pool in some fashion!

Some resources you may like:

1. Tales from the cards buying guide is great. Check out the post script at the end for cost considerations.

2. Authraw's Darkling Door Path less travelled is excellent in discussing and constructing decks with minimum purchase, highly rated from me and well written!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xwseliso wrote:

A storage solution is what I need. And I want to make a wooden box to fit them all. Expensive as I want to get a carpenter to make it for me.

This is vital for a CCG or LCG.

There are lots of options.

Currently I use one storage box per adventure cycle for the encounter cards (you do need some extra dividers) and a colour coded ultra pro binder for each sphere of the player cards, plus a dual deck box for two player decks of the moment. I also altered my core box to hold two cycles of encounter cards.

Having each adventure cycle in a separate box is great. I went with the cardboard storage as a stopgap as it is totally cheaper and the custom solution I liked just isn't available for a reasonable price. If I got wooden boxes designed I would consider individual stackable wooden boxes for each cycle with etched dividers for each encounter set (symbol and name) and the Cycle name and encounter symbols on the outside of the box. Ah to dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalmar Wingfeather wrote:
xwseliso wrote:

Those are way overpriced! I'd recommend ultra pro or dragon shield card sleeves.They still protect the cards well, and are less expensive.

My FFG sleeves are $2.79 ftom Cool Stuff or $2.50 from Miniature Market. The bad guys I put in FFG clear sleeves, which I love. Just sleeve the core set baddies and, if you really want to save money, clear sleeve the cycle pack baddies you are playing. Once you finish a cycle pack, you never go back to it, so you can put those sleeves on the new cycle pack. In deluxe and saga sets, I sleeve all bad guys. Baddies are sorted and stored in a long card box with sticky note dividers

Then I sleeve my deck, which is one pack of sleeves. I use the FFG One Ring pack. Costs a bit more, but nice bling. The rest of the good guys are kept in a binder with 9 pocket sheets, $20 from CSI for 100 sheets. BTW I also have a separate deck for The Hobbit boxes, and one for the LotR sagas.

BTW I went three cores, because I paid $10 each from guys at the Dice Tower Con, The first cycle, and the Saga sets. I've had plenty of fun. The Journey to Rog adventure stinks IMO due to randomness; I gave up on it and moved on. It has been the only dud for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manolis Talos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes the Fantasy Flight clear sleeves are not more expensive than the ultra pro premium. And they are good quality.
At the moment I have sleeved all of the cards.
The core box at the moment holds its cards, and the first cycle. Two columns, one for encounter cards, an one for player cards.

Also using my own dividers which I'm thinking about sharing with everyone here. I think they look really nice.

Now I need to make up my mind. Build a wooden box with at least 6 rows, or start placing each cycle and saga in their own plastic deck boxes like the Dragon Shield 4 compartment boxes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BCW has a new storage option which I'm using for some games and find to work well.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/card-game-supply/card-case/ca...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manolis Talos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
takai wrote:
BCW has a new storage option which I'm using for some games and find to work well.

That does look nice. Could you please tell me the interior dimensions of the rows? Is each row 100mm wide and 100mm tall?

EDIT: Sorry I converted the inches to cm and got the exterior dimensions

Looks like a good option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second getting Khazad Dum and Saga Expansions. However, I would play some fan made scenarios in the files and variants sections before buying anything else. Ninjadorg's are particularly well made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
takai wrote:

Wow that looks great, I hadn't seen those before.

I use the core box for player cards (soon to be outgrown) and BCW 400 cardboard for each deluxe + cycles encounter cards. Everything is sleeved in FFG.

What Dragon Shields are cheaper than FFG? I can get 100 of the latter for $6 retail (and I get thEM in bulk for 20 % less than that). Dragon shields are always 100 for $10 (at least), and I've seen them higher (never lower). I know they are premium and FFG has some consistency problems but they are a good mid-range sleeve (IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manolis Talos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes Dragon Shields are more expensive.
I've never used them, they must be good. Been using Fantasy Flight ones and never had a problem with them. And they have always been consistent.
Also used Mayday Premium sleeves which are at the same price range with Fantasy Flight, and they seem to me just as good.

Edit: Is it just me or do Dragon Shields have a weird way to distinguish between sizes? I never got any, but at all online stores Ive seen, the sleeve size is not written on the box. I need to visit their site and find out what sleeves I need.
I might be wrong since Ive never physically seen them, but it is annoying to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a type of Dragon Shield sleeves called Standard Clear Perfect Fit. Dirt-cheap for a pack of 100 (less than half as much as 50 FFG sleeves around here). They're so thin and fit so snugly that you can put an Arcane Tinmen sleeve around the sleeved card. They give minimal protection, but I use them for two-sided cards like LotR quests, AH investigators and act/agenda cards, and reference cards. Also available in Smoke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David James
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I am also a new LOTR LCG player and loving it. Is it "ok" to take player cards from an expansion and use them in doing quests for another expansion? I would think so, but figured I would ask.

If yes, my storage plan is to keep all of the player cards (regardless of what expansion they came from) in the Core book. I would then keep (at least for now), the enemies and specific quests cards from an expansion in their respective boxes.

Does that make sense?

Is there a better or more common way to organize all the cards?
Thanks in advance for advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teakinator wrote:
I am also a new LOTR LCG player and loving it. Is it "ok" to take player cards from an expansion and use them in doing quests for another expansion?

No, you will be arrested by the LCG police and charged with having fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend putting the hero cards in binders (using 9-pocket pages) and just having enough Dragon Shield sleeves to make your decks. Much cheaper, smaller storage footprint, and that way you can invest in better sleeves for just 2-4 decks (200 sleeves max, which is 2 Dragon Shield sleeve boxes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Player cards from the standard four spheres (Spirit, Lore, Leadership, Tactics) and Neutral cards can be used to build any deck, which can be played against any quest. I don't pay much attention to published date, I just build decks how I see fit and play against any quest I want. One of the best things about this game is the freedom players have to build decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manolis Talos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
There is a type of Dragon Shield sleeves called Standard Clear Perfect Fit. Dirt-cheap for a pack of 100 (less than half as much as 50 FFG sleeves around here). They're so thin and fit so snugly that you can put an Arcane Tinmen sleeve around the sleeved card. They give minimal protection, but I use them for two-sided cards like LotR quests, AH investigators and act/agenda cards, and reference cards. Also available in Smoke.

Thanks for the info. I did not notice them before. They don't come in a box like all the other dragon shields.
If they are thin but better quality than cheap sleeves, I will try them out. They can save room, and I personally need protection from grease and simple handling. I'm kind on the cards while playing and I play solo 90% of the time.

Edit: These sleeves are to be used as inner sleeves when double sleeving.
I noticed in a review video that they are a perfect fit on magic cards, and that the sleeve goes right to the edge of the card.
FFG sleeves have that extra length some people complain about, but I think it offers better protection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
I agree with some of the other answers. Get Khazad Dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle next and then switch to Sagas if you want. The Dwarrowdelf cycle has some great player cards and the adventures are also good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Parkkonen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everybody for your answers! I'll have to reconsider the second cycle as many seem to recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manolis Talos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Poppis wrote:
Thanks everybody for your answers! I'll have to reconsider the second cycle as many seem to recommend it.

You will not be disappointed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xwseliso wrote:
If they are thin but better quality than cheap sleeves, I will try them out. They can save room, and I personally need protection from grease and simple handling. I'm kind on the cards while playing and I play solo 90% of the time.

Yeah, me too. I've found them to be solid so far - no splits yet. And if you like having an extra flap sticking out to protect the top of the card, you can get a different type of sleeve outside anyway.

I've got black and red FFG sleeves on all my encounter cards (red on the set-aside ones which you don't shuffle), but wish the FLGS had these Perfect Fit sleeves back when I started collecting. Would have been much cheaper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
xwseliso wrote:
Poppis wrote:

You will not be disappointed

Totally agree. Finally beating Shadow and Flame was one of my great LoTR LCG moments. Don't want to give away too much about player cards but just imagine what Hero Aragorn (core set) plus Sword that was broken (Watcher in the Water) plus ally Faramir (core set) will do in terms of your will power! And that's before we get onto the benefits of Spirit Glorfindel....

Also consider getting a second core set at some point when your wallet allows. It's a pain that this needs to be done, but the extra tokens are useful, the extra player cards strengthen your hand immeasurably, the box can be used for spare storage (I have four core boxes all full of cards) which you'll need if you're sleeving everything, and use the spare enconter cards to keep one adventure fully set up (Jouney Down the Anduin is a good one) for when you just want a quick game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manolis Talos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Many people recommended a second core set.
I don't need the extra tokens as I use 12mm dice in different colors as counters.
Maybe there are some cards that could help in deck building but with So many options from adventure packs and expansions, it might not be worth the extra cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.