Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Unicornus Knights» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you discard or leave behind Military Power Tokens to move faster? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is, can you leave your army behind for less expensive movement? If so, are they discarded or left on the space you're leaving?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
That is, can you leave your army behind for less expensive movement? If so, are they discarded or left on the space you're leaving?

You can only send them to another general. If you die with troops they revert back to imperial troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:

You can only send them to another general. If you die with troops they revert back to imperial troops.

Thank you! Can you send troops to another character in excess of their command rating, discarding the excess? (I hope not... it would be better if you couldn't...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
haplo92 wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:

Thank you! Can you send troops to another character in excess of their command rating, discarding the excess? (I hope not... it would be better if you couldn't...)

Thematically you have to send ressources with troops guarding them. 1 troops per 10 ressources minimum. I think you can send in excess and then they are disbanded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wretched Git wrote:
haplo92 wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:

I've done this if I need someone to move more cheaply. As near as I can tell, there's nothing in the rules that prohibits it.

So while you can't just shed troops, if there's a friendly in the same area or adjacent, you can use a send action to effectively shuffle off as many military tokens as you want. It does feel a bit sketchy.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomChick wrote:
I've done this if I need someone to move more cheaply. As near as I can tell, there's nothing in the rules that prohibits it.

So while you can't just shed troops, if there's a friendly in the same area or adjacent, you can use a send action to effectively shuffle off as many military tokens as you want. It does feel a bit sketchy.

Yeah, I might house rule it that you can't do that. It makes things a little too flexible and easy, especially as you're almost always adjacent to a tile with a friendly character. Besides, it's like disbanding troops without paying them. It might make sense, in fact, to rule that you can discard the troops, but must pay 1 resource (or 2?) per unit to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
I think you're being too hard on yourself if you charge resources to let military tokens go. You've already "paid" for them in terms of the cost to hire them: actions. Every token took an action to hire, or a half action to hire from a city, or maybe a valuable support card. I don't think there needs to be any penalty for dismissing them.

What feels weird to me is that the rules don't have any provision for this, so you have to game it by sending them to other characters. Which can cause other problems, by the way. What if I can only send them to a character who has room for more tokens, but that character doesn't want them? If the intent was that you can't just send them off into the wild, I wish that had been made clear. Alternatively, if we can shed them freely, I wish that had been listed as a free action, or even an actual action.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we could adapt the “death of a character” you can dismiss troops but they turncoat and are considered enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Ooh, I like this idea, Christophe. Very thematic. You either provide for the troops you've mustered or they'll switch sides and fight for the Emperor.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
The 2.0 rules are explicit about sending troops to characters that can't command them: In the Send action, "If you send more Military Power tokens than the receiving character can have, the excess is lost."

So, for instance, if the Princess's army is full and you draw the event card requiring you to send her 10 Resources, you can still do it by sending 10 Resources and a Military Power Token, which then gets discarded.

The 2.0 rules also say, "If your character died while leading Military Power tokens (for example, from the event card Hopelessness), those tokens turn to the empire side as a normal unit."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
I think we could adapt the “death of a character” you can dismiss troops but they turncoat and are considered enemies.

I like this too; but where would you put the abandoned troops? I guess in the space you leave behind, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.