Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends» Forums » General

Subject: Difference between CGE and Z-MAN editions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be a bit late but does anyone has a list of changes in the schools or legends cards?

I had the first edition and the upgrade pack. I thought all the cards were identical but it seems at least one card was changed: As a reminder of effect, the old Eldest Tree card had 6 red squares while the new has 8 yellow squares.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that it was purely aesthetic upgrade.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, so they do:





Further, I was all set to say this was a simple aesthetic/usability improvement, since unless the card's text explicitly references "marked squares", any coloured squares are just reminders, and the two extra yellow squares are correct in case you perform the summon using your opponent's pieces - but actually, there's a rules text change as well! The yellow version allows you to place enemy common pieces on empty squares, while red version requires it to be your own common pieces.

I wonder if that was an intentional tweak, a correction, or something else?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing probably just a correction of an oversight rather than a tweak. But interesting to see the change.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a strange change of direction for the Eldest Tree, not really in accordance with its other effects. My gut feeling is that the new writing introduced a typo !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
The yellow version allows you to place enemy common pieces on empty squares


No, it doesn't? I don't think the rules allow you to place pieces of other colors. You can upgrade them, once they're on the board, but that's it. Then again I don't remember all the cards. Looks like a translation omission from Czech language, probably.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. From the rules sheet:

Resolving Effects of Beings and Flares

Piece If a piece is not specified as belonging to you or an opponent, then the effect includes any player's piece.

Place Like the "place" action. However, if there is no piece of the specified color and rank available the piece cannot be placed.

Gameplay

Possible Actions - Place 1 common piece of your color on any empty square.

So...not sure. You obviously can't place an opponent's piece as a basic action, but I'm not sure if in the case of the Eldest Tree's effect the "Piece" rule's freedom of choice takes precedence, or the "Place's" rule tying it to the normal Place action does.

Not that it's an issue that's going to frequently come up, of course, but an interesting clarification to be checked!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
Denmark
Danmark
flag msg tools
That's right. I've got overtext, b****!©
badge
What did I just say?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite sure that if the effect was meant to have changed. A replacement card would have been included in the upgrade pack.

That being said. I'm convinced that both printings have errors.

My take on this:
It is meant to have 8 highlighted spaces. (The effect is limited to non-legendary, so heroic pieces are definitely affectable.)
You do NOT get to place an enemy piece. (It just seems like the wording got left out.)

But hey, let's poke Vlaada. :-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fodskammel wrote:
But hey, let's poke Vlaada. :-)

Poked.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Γοργοπόδαρος
Greece
flag msg tools
All that is gold does not glitter
badge
Not all those who wander are lost
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you place a piece and then upgrade that piece?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No: you choose three spaces and resolve the effect for each one. The decision on spaces is at the start so you can't choose the same square multiple times.

If it was phrased something like "Up to three times, perform the following effect: Choose a square, then..." that'd be fine, but as is you have to choose three different squares.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hi guys. Can someone tell me from which version the card with yellow squares comes? To me, it seems like some not-so-final version of the card, I thought the one with red squares (and numeral 3 instead of word three) was always in the box.

Btw: Unless the card directly refers to marked spaces, the color of the spaces just illustrates the effect. The same case is the Champion card. I think we even wrote that to the guide, but I do not have it with me now...

At any case, the correct effect should be:
- you can place only your pieces
- if using improvised summoning (or War Summoner or other similar card), you can destroy also adjacent enemy pieces used to summon the Tree, even if they are not red.

12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The image I posted comes from a Google search, and it's actually just from an old thread on BGG (link). Given the OP's comment I assumed it matches the version in the CGE edition but I didn't actually check my copy. I'll do that this evening and report back
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
The image I posted comes from a Google search, and it's actually just from an old thread on BGG (link). Given the OP's comment I assumed it matches the version in the CGE edition but I didn't actually check my copy. I'll do that this evening and report back

When you link to an image on BGG the next time, try doing it like this, without the spaces: [ ImageID=1758375 ]



Like that, the link to the original image is preserved, which has the caption "The Eldest Tree - graphics still in progress" and was posted before the game was released.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
The image I posted comes from a Google search, and it's actually just from an old thread on BGG (link). Given the OP's comment I assumed it matches the version in the CGE edition but I didn't actually check my copy. I'll do that this evening and report back

When you link to an image on BGG the next time, try doing it like this, without the spaces: [ ImageID=1758375 ]



Like that, the link to the original image is preserved, which has the caption "The Eldest Tree - graphics still in progress" and was posted before the game was released.


That got me to pull my copy off the shelf. I have the first edition and it has the red squares.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Γοργοπόδαρος
Greece
flag msg tools
All that is gold does not glitter
badge
Not all those who wander are lost
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vlaada wrote:

- if using improvised summoning (or War Summoner or other similar card), you can destroy also adjacent enemy pieces used to summon the Tree, even if they are not red.



That is tricky. Thank you Vlaada. Keep supporting the game with new decks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
haslo wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
The image I posted comes from a Google search, and it's actually just from an old thread on BGG (link). Given the OP's comment I assumed it matches the version in the CGE edition but I didn't actually check my copy. I'll do that this evening and report back

When you link to an image on BGG the next time, try doing it like this, without the spaces: [ ImageID=1758375 ]



Like that, the link to the original image is preserved, which has the caption "The Eldest Tree - graphics still in progress" and was posted before the game was released.


That got me to pull my copy off the shelf. I have the first edition and it has the red squares.


I checked my CGE edition copy and that has the red squares too. So I'm not sure why the OP had a yellow version in their copy of the CGE printing!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn’t. Mine was a 2013 zman edition with the upgrade pack.

I just got the Legendary summoner promo, the newest expansion and got a chance to play it again. With the promo and the new expansions, there are plenty of ways we use an opponent’s pieces. Then I looked at the red squares, got confused, searched for the tree in BGG and somehow saw that photo.

So finally, no school or legendary cards were changed between the two editions?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hokuto_su wrote:
So finally, no school or legendary cards were changed between the two editions?


With the amount of talk there was here over Z-Man's price for their edition and then some distribution channels charging for CGE's upgrade pack, I'm positive we would have heard ALL about it if one or more cards had been changed!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.