BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Small footprint games that can be played laying down rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gamer Family
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for some games to play when one person is unable to get to the table. I have a chronic/life threatening illness that makes it so that I have to spend a lot more time in bed than I'd like. We recently received Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game for Christmas and discovered that the small size and few number of components made it perfect for playing during those times I'm stuck in bed. It can be played solo and also multiplayer if my husband or kids join in.

Now that I've realized that this is doable (we'd tried other games before with this and they were just not great fits for the footprint and the technicalities of juggling a game in this situation), we'd like to have more games that can do this successfully. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikomakhos
msg tools
I'd say it's mostly a matter of small footprint. If there's a board, it just needs to be small, like, say, in Eight Minute Empire: Legends or Ribbit (family weight games, these). Many card games fit the bill as well, like Splendor, The Builders: Middle Ages, Biblios, Dale of Merchants... Most roll & write games like CoB The Dice Game should work as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdomino (actually maybe not as every player needs their own space).
Welcome to the Dungeon
Bottom of the 9th

And many card games like

Love Letter
Tichu
Tournament at Camelot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve no idea of the quality of the gameplay, as I’ve never played either myself, but Oddball Aeronauts and Oddball Aeronauts 2 are card games played entirely in-the-hand, so no playing surface is required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You have (HAVE) to play Tides of Time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
DEATH FROM ABOVE
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames Duet would be great! Cards on a chair next to the bed and you're all set

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Santorini while laying in bed. I would think Blokus Duo or travel version would work well.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures

Love Letter

I also think that Sagrada might work nicely if you roll into a box lid or dice tray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G BB
Norway
Aalesund
More og Romsdal
flag msg tools
all friends and aquintances will be assimilated (now that they’re stuck at home with their kids *g*)
badge
get in loser we’re going spelunking
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lost Expedition can be played solo or 2p, and is just a row of cards plus your hand and a deck to draw from.

King of Tokyo has a tiny board, some standees, a deck of cards, and lovely chunks of dice.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game should work, as I’ve heard of people playing it on the train. Both solo-able and 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a tray, then Pandemic: The Cure might be good. It is co-op, has a small table space, and is pretty short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Margus Grenzmann
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have more people over then Cockroach Poker might be something fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zorko
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game I've played in bed multiple times is Port Royal, it is a short (and very light) push your luck game. I don't know what your preferences are, so it might or might not be what you want.

Another small game, which has a lot more depth than it might seem at first glance is Red7.

Both are quick to play and are only one deck of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurentiu Cristofor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Legacy of Dragonholt chose you're own adventure game with some light rpg elements.

Black Stories series party-ish murder mystery game with only a deck of cards.

Even though you haven't asked for this I'm going to recommend some good board like apps(assuming that you're already aware of the regular digital board games) just in case :

Armello only on ios and steam.

Antihero only on ios and steam.

Space Food Truck on ios,android and steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Bennett
United Kingdom
North Duffield
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karuba may work quite well? You need a little bit space for your own tiles and board, but if you were the person picking tiles at random, then your space requirements would be reduced (everyone else can be elsewhere in the room, with space to lay their tiles out in number order).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Biblios, +1 Love Letter for multiplayer

+1 Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective (can be played either solo or multiplayer)

Okiya is a great 2p game with a tiny footprint

Liar's Dice for a larger group, just needs dice and a cup for each player

Sushi Go! should also be doable, cards are passed around and each player can keep their cards in their lap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a similar question about solo games awhile back and made a geeklist of responses. Maybe of use to you as some of the solo games can also be played multiplayer (or maybe you would like some solo games to pass the time)

very small footprint solo games for bad disability days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also Train of Thought and Off Your Rocker are good thinky party games that don't require you to play cards or look at a tableau. I used to play them with a friend that is blind and they worked well.

Button Shy makes tiny games that fit in a wallet, I have a couple of their solo games. Not expensive, and you can even get a subscription for not alot if you find you like them and get new games on a regular basis

Pack O Game is another line of games that is very tiny (about the size of a pack of gum)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.