Hide
8 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Deal damage to X random hit locations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Honn
msg tools
When you have an event that deals X damage to Y amount of random event locations, how do you play it? Can you hit the same location multiple times or does it have to be X different hit locations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
they can be the same hit location, provided they were chosen randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Honn
msg tools
Is that stated somewhere or just how people tend to play? I kind of figured that this is the intent of the rule, but it isn't how I would in general interpret random.

Usually, when picking x amount of random things, you wouldn't let yourself pick multiples of the same.

Not really questioning the rule, it works either way, just wondering if this is a case where everyone is just going to assume differently based on what they are used to from other things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Batten
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Honn wrote:
Usually, when picking x amount of random things, you wouldn't let yourself pick multiples of the same.

If it's random, then yes that is how you would do this, if there could not be duplicate locations it would state something like Deal X damage to Y different locations or (The same location cannot be selected twice).

Each hit is its own separate thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honn wrote:
Is that stated somewhere or just how people tend to play? I kind of figured that this is the intent of the rule, but it isn't how I would in general interpret random.

Not really questioning the rule, it works either way, just wondering if this is a case where everyone is just going to assume differently based on what they are used to from other things

I believe this is stated in the book, but even if it wasn't, your interpretation requires the word "different" not written on the card. Random in no way implies different. This is mathematically the same as rolling Y attack dice. You wouldn't reroll your attack dice if 2 of the values came up the same after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Honn
msg tools
I don't think it is quite that easy. If some event/AI card/other effect was to target two random survivors, would you allow the same survivor to be targeted twice?

I wouldn't, in those situation I would absolutely assume an implicit "different". So when should you make that assumption and when shouldn't you?

I would even argue that semantically "select 3 random" will most of the time mean 3 different random selections. If I tell someone to guess three random numbers and they say "seven, seven and seven" then glaring would commence! I asked for three numbers, not one number repeated.

That said,in this case I also believe that the intent is to just roll three HL dice and if you get the same result twice it's just targeted twice, if nothing else it is much easier to do. Mostly curious what peoples first reaction when reading those events where (mine was to not allow duplicates).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, I see what you are saying. I would still say random does not imply different and I think in these cases you have to really pay attention to the wording carefully.

Your example of people should probably mean two different people as you say and so I see what you mean about ambiguity. However in KDM, when you determine hit locations, you roll a hit dice for each hit and these locations can be the same per the rules. If you were meant to have different locations, I think the event would have to specify that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Honn
msg tools
sumanye wrote:
However in KDM, when you determine hit locations, you roll a hit dice for each hit and these locations can be the same per the rules. If you were meant to have different locations, I think the event would have to specify that.

Yeah, I think this is just a case of using a wording that seems so obvious that it is never questioned but that strictly speaking ambivalent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.