Subject: Does the app release mean no more physical expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Hi all,

I was just curious if anyone knew if the release of LOTA for this game would mean an end to small/big box expansions?

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining, I have all the IA expansions and that is plenty of game for me. I still have a lot of replay in what I have, and look forward to app content.

I had quick look at Descent products, and it seemed once the app came out, FFG stopped making boxed campaigns and just brought out a few monster/character expansions.

But, obviously, FFG don't have infinite staff so I assume the IA team wouldn't have the time to develop both app and physical content.

But then, I guess developing a game alongside an app is still new territory for everyone and maybe even FFG don't know what they'll do with it in future.
And while writing this I just realised MOM 2nd edition has physical and app developed together (but I feel that's it's own thing so not too comparable.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect we'll keep seeing expansions for both Imperial Assault and Descent, along with updates for the app. People are buying them, and the app only increases the audience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Batesmates wrote:

Hi all,

I was just curious if anyone knew if the release of LOTA for this game would mean an end to small/big box Expansion

Of course not. The app only mirrors the physical components. The app cannot replace it. Therefore as long the game is selling well, there will be further expansions.
There is no reason why a publisher would kill its milk cow early
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm following both Descent and IA.
I do not remember any Descent 2nd edition physical expansion from when the app has been published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you really under the impression that the majority of BGG users tracks all games they played? I highly doubt that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telrak wrote:
Are you really under the impression that the majority of BGG users tracks all games they played? I highly doubt that.

I - for one - haven't registred a single game session.

And for the first year or so, I didn't play IA at all. In 2017 I played IA around 4 times a month, but actually it was around 15 times a month since we played several missions or skirmishes every time we played the game.

And that goes x4, since the 4 other players in my group plays along too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they said the app tripled the sales of Descent when it came out. I imagine that it did at least that for IA.

I imagine they will add some more, but they may not, as they are really trying to sell legion, and don't want to cannibalize sales. I'm pretty sure Amada took away some sales of x wing, but they are still producing content for both those lines (which is no surprise, since they have said x wing is their top selling line).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure speculation on my part, but I think there's at least 1 more expansion simply to satisfy the cravings for Scout Trooper and Ewok minis. I think Fantasy Flight will push Star Wars Legion pretty heavy in 2018, but if the app bumped up sales Like it supposedly did for Descent, I think it could encourage more than that.
One advantage of Imperial Assault, is it has already created worlds and characters, which makes some of the creative process easier. Fans would play missions with similar structure, just to go against a wave of Speeder Bikes instead of Probe Droids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cj W
United States
St Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dennis Godballe wrote:
Telrak wrote:

I - for one - haven't registred a single game session.

And for the first year or so, I didn't play IA at all. In 2017 I played IA around 4 times a month, but actually it was around 15 times a month since we played several missions or skirmishes every time we played the game.

And that goes x4, since the 4 other players in my group plays along too...

Agreed. I forget to track pretty much ... always.

Just played "Imperial Hospitality" less than 24 hours ago and I haven't registered the session. Was a totally epic game that came down to one lone Stormtrooper that I decided to break away from the pack in the previous round making an amazing kill shot right at the end. Employee of the Month that guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telrak wrote:

Of course they don't, but the data can still be useful and Mathias' point didn't rely on a majority of actual plays being logged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCloskey
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are just my thoughts. When the app came out for Descent the chains that rust was the last expansion that was released for that game. Then there was news for the Descent app about new campaigns and stuff. Nothing was announced since the app came out. In july of this year it will be two years since the last article for the chains that rust expansion. That leads me to think these three things about IA.

1. We get no more expansions and just app content. (IA because that strange uncle that nobody in your family talks about) LOL
2. We get a three pack reinforcement wave and they say "That IA is complete." Meaning we will just get app updates.
3. We get a reinforcement wave and a box wave (either big or small) then they say "That is all for IA." Then just app updates.

I am hoping for option 2 through 4. The fourth option is they keep making stuff for IA. Only time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/12/1/a-new-l...
LotA Announcement wrote:
What about traditional campaigns and the skirmish game?
Legends of the Alliance was not designed to replace the traditional campaign or the skirmish game for Imperial Assault. Instead, all three variants will continue to exist side-by-side, providing separate play experiences for players to enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Cancel expansions? In our moment of triumph?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thorn

Middletown
New York
msg tools
Right now, i'd prefer more extensive use of the expansions by the app, than more physical expansions themselves.

There's so much potential with what they can do with the app...but i get the feeling it's a pretty low priority (both the app, and making more expansions)for FFG right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting for an Endor/Ewok expansion, so they'd better not stop making expansions! I'd love to see a Rogue One expansion too...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hultquist
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I'm still waiting for an Endor/Ewok expansion, so they'd better not stop making expansions! I'd love to see a Rogue One expansion too...

-shnar

I'd also be a bit disappointed if they didn't release 4-LOM and Zuckuss to round out the ESB bounty hunters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hultquist wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

I'd also be a bit disappointed if they didn't release 4-LOM and Zuckuss to round out the ESB bounty hunters.

They did for X-Wing, so I can't imagine them not doing so for IA...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.