Subject: Question about an Earth Demon ability card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cargo Cultist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yesterday I came across a card that I wasn’t sure how to interpret. This one:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Does the third line mean that if there is strong or waning wind it consumes it and...
A) it gets a -2 penalty to the attack in the line above
OR
B) it gets to perform a second attack at -2?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Greenfly
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The correct answer is A, it will consume the wind to get a -2 to its attack above.
Note: If it granted an additional attack, it would be written as "Attack -2", not "-2 Attack".

The idea behind this is erosion, wind basically "counters" earth, making it harder for the earth elemental to attack its foes (I guess).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is A), it is a modifier to its attack. It may seem odd that the effect is detrimental to the Earth Demon, but it's because air is the opposite element of earth. I believe all the demons have an effect where, if their opposite element is infused, they suffer some penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up question for scenario 4:

I haven't played it yet, but set it up last night. If wind and earth are opposites, would it potentially make sense to open both the rooms with demons in them at the same time hoping that the wind and earth demons might infuse their elements, thus inadvertently debuffing each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j ribs
msg tools
mb
Snardo wrote:

I haven't played it yet, but set it up last night. If wind and earth are opposites, would it potentially make sense to open both the rooms with demons in them at the same time hoping that the wind and earth demons might infuse their elements, thus inadvertently debuffing each other?

Won't matter much. I've killed hundreds of Earth demons and haven't even seen this card. The demons also don't generate elements all that often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:

that is one possible strategy.
I believe each deck only has one card where the opposite element adversely affects the monster. but every little bit helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ribsies wrote:
Snardo wrote:

Won't matter much. I've killed hundreds of Earth demons and haven't even seen this card. The demons also don't generate elements all that often.

both the earth and the wind demons appear to have the same frequency of elemental generation and usage (well, at least the same number of each type of cards in their respective decks. I don't know enough about statistics and probability to know how the reshuffle cards affect things)

Earth Demons and Wind Demons both have:
2 cards that create their favored element every time
1 card that consumes any element to create their favored element
3 cards that consume their favored element to provide a bonus
1 card that consumes the opposite element and incurs a penalty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's probably not worth it. You might get lucky and they'll suffer some penalty, but you'll still be facing twice as many enemies at once as if you had only opened one door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I'd say it's probably not worth it. You might get lucky and they'll suffer some penalty, but you'll still be facing twice as many enemies at once as if you had only opened one door.

My response below includes FULL spoilers for scenario 4 including conclusion, intermediate text and chest contents:

Given that the chest in the lower room is not worth getting if you know what it is, I believe the best strategy for this scenario is to open up that door in passing but never enter the lower room. Instead, after clearing the second room, head up to the top room and fight those guys. The earth elemental(s) probably show up around the same time you're done, and are really easy opponents. Not only does this save time overall and introduce the chance of the demons interfering with each other, but it means the last enemy alive is a clumsy oaf, allowing you to pick up as much treasure as you have time for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.