Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calixtus Ashley Wee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
Honestly, is this game balanced? I played Blue against my brother's gf's Red, and I won rather easily. Countered everything, as well as how Flamewing Phoenixes suck.

And the Fire Spells seem to be rather lacklustre, the only thing going for them is that they do Direct Damage. Like Circle of Flame, a card named like that should allow you to Damage all adjacent non-Red units to a Damaged one, 1 Damage. It makes sense that way, and I although I do know that it becomes similar to Pyroclasm this way, Pyroclasm then should be modified to be an Area-Attack Spell that causes 2 Damage in one Hex and the surrounding Hexes from it.

I think this is reasonable, given how most Units in the game have more than 1 Life, except for those stupid Phoenixes, who die at the slightest.

I admit I don't have much experience, but I will say the game has been real fun for me, not just because I won, although that is a little moot because I always a good intellectual and tactical feast anytime, losing or winning. It is because the game has great potential and is simply put, fun. I need to get my dad over to play now, so excuse me will ya?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red's units in the base game are rather lackluster, but Chandra is one of the more powerful Plainswalkers to compensate. Ranged attacks and the ability to attack twice helps here out. Combined with her direct damage magic.

That said, the game does have some balance issues in the original starter set. These are mitigated a bit by the cards and units that came out in the

If anything, white seems to be the weakest color out of the original box. Poor Gideon almost never gets picked in our games.

Blue is super powerful in the original set. In the hands of a skilled player, Blue should win like 80% of the time, unless the other players gang up on Jace.

Green has the most useless spell in the set (destroy a creature with flying). Even worse if you aren't playing against Red as they have the only flyer in the starter. Lucky Nissa has some useful creatures though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find discussions about this in other threads, but the short of it is that Blue is overpowered and White is underpowered. Also, if you don't know what's in Blue's deck prior to the game, it's extremely difficult to play around the counterspells. If you know what to expect, you can trigger the counterspells with a weak spell before casting your more powerful one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trash tier game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.