14 Posts

The Great War» Forums » General

Subject: Epic / Overlord / Breakthrough scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reinout Waelput
Belgium
flag msg tools
The topic has been mentioned in some other topics in a reply or 2, but those topics were started without focusing on this, thus it is somewhat lost and/or forgotten.

Since the first launch on Kickstarter, I’ve been hoping to see some kind of epic battles, either similar to the overlord format used in M44, or by using the breakthrough format. As such, I acquired the base game twice, after that the tank expansion as well. Now, with the French expansion, I’m a bit in doubt whether or not I should repeat this, since several years have passed, seemingly without a trace of larger scenarios (while this would fit the great war very well). I’m quite sure I’m not the only person eagerly awaiting any news (or perhaps official announcement) about it.

I’ve asked the same question in a comment on kickstarter, but it might be better to increase awareness (and perhaps increase the odds of a release of it) on bgg so it will not get lost whenever the KS campaign, pledge manager and delivery have been completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody is going to forget. The Epic/Overlord game format is a fundamental part of the Commands and Colors game system and a big draw for C&C fans across all the games in the series. If it never appears for The Great War it won't be because the developers "forgot", it will be because the business economics didn't come together to make it happen. But hopefully they will, and we'll eventually have such scenarios. I was thinking of having myself cryogenically frozen while I wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few scenarios (the Somme I believe is one) where there are left and right flanks of the same battle that could be combined. For inspiration on card play, you might look at the rules Epic Napoleonics or La Grande Battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.commandsandcolors.net/thegreatwar/forum/variants/...

Variant to play a double width game, either with 2 players or 2 teams of 2

Side by Side Play
Each turn, the active player plays 2 Command cards, one for the left board (leftmost 3 sections) and one for the right board (rightmost 3 sections). In case of team, Commander plays cards.
A reserve artillery may be played by either or both command cards as per normal rules, but must be placed on respective board
Units may move between boards.
Command card activate only units on their board.
Players may play 1 Combat Card per board
At turn end, player draws 2 Command Cards, and either 2 Combat cards, 4 HQ, or 1 Combat Card and 2 HQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t think an Overlord or Breakthrough expansion is planned.

The problem is that TGW already had very advanced extra combat cards and a resource system (HQ stars) in place when it was launched.

The basic Mem44 was a kids game when it launched really.

Only after 5-6 expansions Memoir was at the same kind of development/design as the present day TGW.

Breakthrough boards for a WW1 game? In reality it did never happened either.

And making Overlord boards is perhaps nice to have more players, but the landscape will not change much...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Does anyone know if any US companies are selling extra TGW boards?

Now that I've ordered The French Army Expansion with the centenary figures and etc., I'll have an extra set of cards (one larger than the other to tell them apart), a second set of German and British figures--not to mention a set of French and in effect a second set of Allied (French) tanks--so I will have everything I need for playing an 'Epic' game except another board. While I could use another C&C board such as Napoleonic, I'd rather have another matching trench type map!

(I've also asked this question in a separate thread, but figure people looking at this thread may have discovered some as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as an idle thought, what about the LGB board from CCN?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple As I mention above--usable, but visually not a very good match! Thanks for the 'Side By Side' rules posted earlier--I'll probably use two decks when the second one arrives this summer; one for each board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy a spare board direct from PSC
http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=pr...

Shipping will probably sting though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janos Balogh
Hungary
Mosonmagyarovar
Gyor-Moson-Sopron
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
I don’t think an Overlord or Breakthrough expansion is planned.

The problem is that TGW already had very advanced extra combat cards and a resource system (HQ stars) in place when it was launched.

The basic Mem44 was a kids game when it launched really.

Only after 5-6 expansions Memoir was at the same kind of development/design as the present day TGW.

Breakthrough boards for a WW1 game? In reality it did never happened either.

And making Overlord boards is perhaps nice to have more players, but the landscape will not change much...

I don't think in an only Western front box. I have a completely opposite opinion.

I played 4 players double scenarios and the hole system works very well in this advanced form. It can not be a problem to play like D-day landings even. I saw You prefer solo games, well I understand thinking and playing in four different "chair" is difficult to manage.

Breakthrough in reality? Cambrai 1917 was a deep penetration really, also the Great War not was just about trenches in France. The Russian front needs Breakthrough size 1914-15. Caporetto with Erwin Rommel, demands Breakthrough maps. Brussilov 1916? Never happened, or what? Kut? Sorry, but you are thinking in a very narrow box. You just ignore the fact why WORLD War 1. is the name of this conflict.

Landscape? Italy, Mesopotamia, Gallipoli or Winter battles 1914-15 on the East, looks very various to me.

Naturally Great War goes EPIC and Breakthrough. I have read PSC comments, they are also thinking and planning to make 4 player scenarios. Just check the last two Memoir 44 expansion. Pre printed large maps is the best way to improve TGW as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Although I have not managed to get a second TGW board, its been noted elsewhere that the old Samurai Battles game board is an exact hex configuration match The SB board is printed in dark green; not a bad match--plus I have two of them, so if I want an exact match, I can just use them instead of my TGW map. As I have noted above, when the new expansion package comes I'll have everything to play a double board game--using Mark's rules above with either 2 or 4 players--except the second game board, and others may soon be in the same position, if like I did they got the extra new Kickstarter figures and card decks option without the full new Centenary Edition.

For those interested, Earache has done a thread listing all of the various Commands & Colors board configurations here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1827560/database-differ...

I've just discovered this, as its in the "Commands and Colors Family" forum where I never go. It is old and only includes about half of the C&C games, and includes some items that are not in fact C&C by Richard Borg; those for Battle Lore 2.0. Folks wishing a more complete and up to date listing and discussion can see my C&C Series Thread on the BattleCry 150 forum (currently on page 2), which is here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1238923/guide-cc-games-...

(Note: I had emailed PSC about adding a second board to my KS order, but they never replied. And I did not want to pay separate postage from the U.K. for it alone, which would have been too expensive, as noted above by John McD).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NWS used to carry TGW parts. I picked up some male tanks from them last year. Needed to have captured Br. tanks for the germans.

Anyway, I don't see them listed anymore but an e-mail might work. Many times there is some part tucked away in a corner/box.

Noble Knight sometimes parts out games too.

I picked up a second copy at a local game con. BGG trade/has parts/needs parts section is worth a try too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Robert,

Hey, nice! Who is/was NWS? I never got those captured tanks either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
here is a link to their website:

https://store.nws-online.net

Naval Wargaming Store is their full name but everyone just uses NWS. They are out of Florida I believe. Used to by my Wings of War planes from them way back when they carried them.

Never had a problem with them even with shipping to Canada.

I took the cross piece off the male MKIV tank and sprayed it grey. This will further visually differentiate it from the Br. tanks. I am going to paint the tracks brown and hit the raised parts with a grey. The black cross will be tricky but I will just do the best I can and leave it at that.

Lately I've been really into pimping this game out.whistle

HQ tokens are next. Old white poker chips from Axis and Allies 1986 edition. I'm looking to get green star stickers to drop in the centre. I find the cardboard tokens too big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.