Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McGreevy
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a three player game and the other 2 players made an alliance for the game and got the advantages when each of them picked the action where lonely me only got them when I picked the task. They grabbed Harvests and Marshall so they had the Strongholds and the goodies. Got a little frustrating as the game proceeded. Three might not be the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there nothing you could do to split the alliance apart?

Surely it became clear that one of the alliance members was doing better than the other. Why would the losing member not switch allegiance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j k
Germany
flag msg tools
So what was the final score? And did you try to bribe them into an alliance with you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple You might be right. Still, on some other threads a few advantages of the single player, which take a learning curve, are suggested, including the Betray action--which is not about betraying an ally, but getting someone's troops to defect! Hunt around a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Betray, betray and betray the living bushi out of them. But in such a way that you shift the balance of power between them, so they cannot easily divide the provinces they need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had a 3P game and alliances constantly shifted. I spent the first season without an alliance, and was Betrayed halfway through another season, and I won by 20 pts or so, mostly from a very strong last turn. I gave one player some money to ally with me.

I think I like it more with 3P than 5P, so far. The turn where I got a huge amount of Harvest all to myself made the other two sit up straight. Betray is good, of course, but if you’re not allied, there’s still plenty of choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played 3 player last night and I was odd man out on two alliances and first round had no alliances but still won by almost 20 points. Key is using betray and doing the harvest action so that it only benefits You which could be huge for you. Also when you do things turn order is very huge in this game its a very big advantage to do Marshall on your turn so everyone else has to move first then you can react afterwards.

After one play the whole table walked away realizing there are SO many hidden strategies to this game that are not clear to you early on until you get well into your first game. Everyone walked away very impressed with this game, I think this game is like Bloodrage where people wont like it if they dont like games that reward multiple plays like Bloodrage does also. It is a game where people who have played before have a very big advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played three players today. First round no alliance. Second round the 2nd and 3rd players allied. Third round the same players allied again. The player who never allied won, by three points, through some smart seppuku, harvest and betray plays.

In three player, not being in the alliance didn't really feel like a penalty, because Betrayal is so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Young
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bone White wrote:
Second round the 2nd and 3rd players allied. Third round the same players allied again. The player who never allied won, by three points, through some smart seppuku, harvest and betray plays.

"The player who never allied won" - Is this you who won? Or are you the 2nd or 3rd player who allied? Talking about yourself in the 3rd person is very confusing. Or were you watching 3 players play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Billman
msg tools
I played a 3-player game where the other two allied against me during all three seasons. I found myself taking Marshall and Harvest every chance I could get to stall their resources and stronghold placements. I was turtle so Marshall let me put stronghold troops down and put force into provinces for Harvest. I came in second in the game and had most province tokens at the end of the game. I suspect it would've played out worse if I wasn't Turtle but my strategy would've been different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.