Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone briefly explain if backing it via Kickstarter is the best deal? Is it mainly/only because of the "Firstful of extras" stuff that you get for free? There are no KS exclusives with this game, correct?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gribble
United States
Moultrie
Georgia
flag msg tools
Backing via kick starter is the best deal you will get on this game. 1. The fistfull of extras is huge. This is like $40 expansion with characters & minis, story cards and items that won't be available via retail. 2. At $60 I think this priced under retail. Game will likely cost more, maybe considerably more depending on availability. 3. By backing you add to the value of the game by helping reach stretch goals.

If you are planning on buying WL at some point I'd highly recommend backing on KS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jgribble57 wrote:
Backing via kick starter is the best deal you will get on this game. 1. The fistfull of extras is huge. This is like $40 expansion with characters & minis, story cards and items that won't be available via retail. 2. At $60 I think this priced under retail. Game will likely cost more, maybe considerably more depending on availability. 3. By backing you add to the value of the game by helping reach stretch goals.

If you are planning on buying WL at some point I'd highly recommend backing on KS!

I don´t believe this is entirely true. The developers have said that they do not like KS exclusive items and that they will be offering fistful of extras through their website. They will print around 1000 copies more that needed to fulfil the KS backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes this is the best monetary value. Fistful of extras will be $30-40 retail through our site only on initial release. The base game will be $70 in retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolossal wrote:
Yes this is the best monetary value. Fistful of extras will be $30-40 retail through our site only on initial release. The base game will be $70 in retail.

That really depends...

If it's 70 msrp then CSI/MM will sell it for 40-50. If the Good/Bad/Handsome is 15 now, then retail 20-25? That would mean CSI/MM sell it for 12-18...

So base game plus expansion maybe 60ish with free shipping.

KS is 84 with G/B/H but also FoE expansion.

Bottom line, if you must have FoE, which the publisher is going to sell exclusively without discounting, then you should back. If you can live without it, you will probably save $25ish by not backing.

(Yes, I'm aware that sometimes a great game is unavailable for a time after an initial KS print run. I've also backed things that are now 60% off at CSI... looking at you Overseers...)

But if you're looking at resell value, 84 for everything probably, not definitely means yes, you could get your money back afterward on the strength of the FoE being exclusive to the publisher and quite expensive at 30-40.

Contrast this however with TMG's 'Deluxified' KS model... Right now they're doing it with Gentes, which I am backing. In short, the base game is not a deal, it will be cheaper later, but the deluxe edition is exclusive and not much more than the base game, so it is. (Yokohama Deluxe, same KS model, was 65 shipped, now sells for 100 minimum, played. NIS is much more.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:

KS is 84 with G/B/H but also FoE expansion.

$75. $84 is including the poker deck.

Looking at recent games from the past couple years at a similar price point to WL, it looks like discounts on CSI run about 25%. If we assume the GBH add-on is $20, a 25% discount on $90 will bring the total down to about $67.50. You would pay about $7 less while missing out on five characters, five miniatures, and a pile of cards and components.

So what you really have to ask is if a deluxe upgrade is worth $7.50. I believe it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I was correct, it's 84 with shipping ConUS.

It's 95 with the poker deck, shipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
No, I was correct, it's 84 with shipping ConUS.

It's 95 with the poker deck, shipped.

CSI and M&M only offer free shipping on orders over $100, which would not automatically be the case with this game+add-on so it's better to ignore shipping costs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

KoalaXav wrote:
CSI and M&M only offer free shipping on orders over $100, which would not automatically be the case with this game+add-on so it's better to ignore shipping costs

This is an interesting comment as I presumed that my practice is the same as everyone else... whenever I do buy from CSI or MM, I always wait till I have multiple items to purchase to hit that $100 mark, only to get the free shipping.

Thus of the sixty or so games that I've bought from both retailers during the past years, I've never paid shipping. I'd call that "free shipping".

So now you have me wondering, don't most gamers purchase their games this way when shopping online? (Bundle them only to avoid shipping charges)? Sorry for deviating from the current conversation, but Clinton's comment got me wondering.

Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

KoalaXav wrote:

This is an interesting comment as I presumed that my practice is the same as everyone else... whenever I do buy from CSI or MM, I always wait till I have multiple items to purchase to hit that $100 mark, only to get the free shipping.

Thus of the sixty or so games that I've bought from both retailers during the past years, I've never paid shipping. I'd call that "free shipping".

So now you have me wondering, don't most gamers purchase their games this way when shopping online? (Bundle them only to avoid shipping charges)? Sorry for deviating from the current conversation, but Clinton's comment got me wondering.

Thx!

Yes, Barry, that's how I purchase games, too. Once in a while Prime is lower than CSI, but that's rare. The prior comment about ignoring shipping costs is really strange to me. It's part of the cost of the game.

Also, you may not be aware of this, but you don't have to wait with CSI until you have $100 to place a partial order. You can keep a running order until you get to $100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

KoalaXav wrote:

Gamers that care about getting value for their dollar don't pay shipping fees when purchasing from an OLGS. So when trying to determine if a Kickstarter has enough value to be worth backing, shipping should always be factored in. Clinton's comment was strange for a conversation about value.

Personally I see Western Legends as an OK deal, but not a good one, and it's just barely worth taking the risk to back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
Can someone briefly explain if backing it via Kickstarter is the best deal? Is it mainly/only because of the "Firstful of extras" stuff that you get for free? There are no KS exclusives with this game, correct?

Right; instead of getting exclusives, what you get is Fistful of Extras (FOE) free. They're not going to sell FOE via retail, only direct from their website (no CSI/MM/etc discount), and for $30-40 (not sure if that includes shipping).

Assumptions: The game itself will retail for $70 which probably means that the best you'll see it for on a discount site is $40-50, at least at first. Similarly, I'm guessing you can pick up the GBM expansion for $8-10 if it retails for $15. And the examples assume that you manage to get free shipping via the discount site (KS shipping in USA is $9 for either package).

So if you pledge for the core game, you're paying $69 for WL + FOE shipped. Buying those after the fact would cost $40-50 + $30-40 = $70-90. So there's definitely a savings and you get the game much faster -- plus by backing, you're helping to unlock more stuff in FOE.

If you pledge with the expansion, you're paying $84 for WL + FOE + GBM shipped. After the fact would cost $70-90 + $8-10 = $78-100. Still likely to be an overall savings, but a bit harder to predict.

Hopefully this helps you decide what to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Quite possibly but I think that in a discussion over which saves you more money the necessity of spending an extra $40+ to save $9 is a significant caveat. It shouldn't be assumed that someone looking for the cheapest deal is willing to spend $100 to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

Quite possibly but I think that in a discussion over which saves you more money the necessity of spending an extra $40+ to save $9 is a significant caveat. It shouldn't be assumed that someone looking for the cheapest deal is willing to spend $100 to get it.

Why would spending an extra $40+ be a necessity? Are you working under the assumption of someone only buying one or two games a year? Or someone who has to have a game NOW rather than waiting until they have a $100 order? Neither mentality is that of a value backer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

KoalaXav wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

Not to derail the thread any further, but your comment implies that the "extra $40" spent to save shipping would be something "extra" - just for the purpose of saving shipping. But that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that you hold off on buying "Game A" until you also want "Game B". Then you buy both and thus enjoy free shipping for both games. So yes, if this practice is followed, then you can factor-in free shipping when discussing online retail purchases, as it's a common practice by my understanding.

Your comment, OTOH, assumes that the shopper selects anything for "Game B", only for the sole purpose of reaching that $100 plateau. If that would be the case, then I agree with you... that would be silly. But that's not what I'm saying at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul and Barry are 100% right, IMO, which is why I want to reiterate that my comparison (below) assumes that you take advantage of free shipping because I wanted to do a real-world comparison.

pkitty wrote:
Right; instead of getting exclusives, what you get is Fistful of Extras (FOE) free. They're not going to sell FOE via retail, only direct from their website (no CSI/MM/etc discount), and for $30-40 (not sure if that includes shipping).

Assumptions: The game itself will retail for $70 which probably means that the best you'll see it for on a discount site is $40-50, at least at first. Similarly, I'm guessing you can pick up the GBM expansion for $8-10 if it retails for $15. And the examples assume that you manage to get free shipping via the discount site (KS shipping in USA is $9 for either package).

So if you pledge for the core game, you're paying $69 for WL + FOE shipped. Buying those after the fact would cost $40-50 + $30-40 = $70-90. So there's definitely a savings and you get the game much faster -- plus by backing, you're helping to unlock more stuff in FOE.

If you pledge with the expansion, you're paying $84 for WL + FOE + GBM shipped. After the fact would cost $70-90 + $8-10 = $78-100. Still likely to be an overall savings, but a bit harder to predict.

Hopefully this helps you decide what to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

KoalaXav wrote:

Thx!

I also find this interesting. When my collection was a lot smaller I always tried to save up and combine games to get the free shipping.

Now I find myself in the position that I rarely buy multiple games at the same time. I feel I usually already have a similar game in my collection so I'm much more selective of what I actually buy hence I'm just buying single games and paying the shipping. An additional $6 shipping is usually wiser than trying to bump my order up with games I most likely have something similar to already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

KoalaXav wrote:

Thx!

I also find this interesting. When my collection was a lot smaller I always tried to save up and combine games to get the free shipping.

Now I find myself in the position that I rarely buy multiple games at the same time. I feel I usually already have a similar game in my collection so I'm much more selective of what I actually buy hence I'm just buying single games and paying the shipping. An additional $6 shipping is usually wiser than trying to bump my order up with games I most likely have something similar to already.

Out of curiosity, how much are you spending on games each year?

I've slowed down my purchases as well and am down to only 2 OLGS orders per year. I not only wait until I have a large enough number of wants for free shipping, I usually wait for a sale as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

trakes wrote:
Now I find myself in the position that I rarely buy multiple games at the same time. I feel I usually already have a similar game in my collection so I'm much more selective of what I actually buy hence I'm just buying single games and paying the shipping.

I'm at the same point of my "hobby career" as you! But I still wait till I have multiple games to purchase in order to save on the shipping. Yes, it means is that I have to wait a bit longer till I get my games. But I've got so many now (many un-played and stacked in a queue), that that's not an issue at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.