Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this solo to get ready for some FtF games with a friend. Not meant for solitaire really but I felt it worked just fine. I played 2 games of The Battle of Brooklyn Heights and 2 games of The Battle of Bosworth Field.
The games appears pretty simple and straightforward at first. Yet as you start to play, the timing of when you attack, your ability to follow through in those attacks, and how to keep the enemy on the defensive become pretty interesting.
I quickly saw how a weaker force can wear down a stronger opponent if they can manage the flow of the game in their favor. Very clever, and it makes this a far more interesting game than its simple rules and components appear to imply. Also, love the wooden formation markers, they add an element of tactile wargaming as you play.
* Easy, quick set up
* Lots of variety as far as scenarios you can play
* Timing and the flow of the game are for interesting decisions and realism* * Nice touch with the wooden formation markers.
* The rules are a bit unclear in places, you do have to get your head wrapped around the lingo and the details on each card. Not terrible, but it's not entirely intuitive at first. You definitely need to get 2-3 games under you belt to understand the formation cards and their abilities.

This is a fun game for me and I look forward to playing it FtF. No doubt I'd play solo again too, as it's a quick playing, interesting and has a good element of "thinkyness" about it.
I see they are coming out with an expansion to this game. I'll be sure to pick a copy up when it comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Table Battles is a surprise "hit" for me and I've had great success introducing it to my group.

Fantastic system, I am definitely a fan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee a.k.a. "Loyal Lee"
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Table Battles is a surprise "hit" for me and I've had great success introducing it to my group.

Fantastic system, I am definitely a fan!
I wasn't even sure I would like it, but it intrigued me so I went ahead and got it.

A surprise hit indeed. I love this system(!). My WotR expansion deck hasn't even gotten here yet and I'm already wondering about the next one (which will be an automatic purchase).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.