Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Sum
United Kingdom
Sutton coldfield
West midlands
flag msg tools
mb
IT seems this expansion has no much love or reviews. Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Refer to this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Summy76 wrote:

I've never seen it for sale anywhere in Canada for one thing ... hard to love something you can't buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Qunell
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am passing on it because it sounds like it adds a great amount of complexity to the game. I would not mind this too much if it is done correctly but the immediate family, who I play this game with, would not grasp it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HawkFan wrote:
I am passing on it because it sounds like it adds a great amount of complexity to the game. I would not mind this too much if it is done correctly but the immediate family, who I play this game with, would not grasp it.

I've been seeing two schools of thought, and it almost exactly mirrors that comment.

Either A) You think IoS is a good light euro and that adding an extra layer of complexity ruins it, then you'll likely not like the expansion.

or B) You think IoS is a very light of a game and that it was too simple for your tastes, the expansion will probably be an enjoyable addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to pick it up at BGG Con. I really like the expansion and what it adds, and I also really like just the base game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summy76 wrote:

I can only speak for myself: Without the expansion, Isle of Skye is one of my favorite games that fits in the lunch hour. I would probably enjoy the expansion, but since it reportedly adds to the length of time required to play, I would rarely get the opportunity to play it. So to date I have passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others, I find the expansion to make the game much thinkier. For me, that's a good thing because now the game appeals to 2 different audiences.

If I'm playing with people who prefer lighter games, I'll exclude the expansion. If it's just my wife & me playing, then we'll include the expansion. My wife & I both found the base game (sans expansion) to be lighter than we prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the base game is quite light. The game has been an "OK" experience so I am not that inclined to buy the expansion for an "OK" game. I don't find the expansion looks all that appealing either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy about its reception so far, e.g. Steph writtes https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/71856/merry-christmas-fam... in here blog "I definitely do recommend this expansion, but it will add time to your game. It worked very well 2 player so that was great! #Top50" - only to name one statement.

However, I defintitely see that this expansion is not for everyone. Whoever enjoys the lightness and fast play, should double think if he/she buys the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane W

Utah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexP wrote:
I'm happy about its reception so far, e.g. Steph writtes https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/71856/merry-christmas-fam... in here blog "I definitely do recommend this expansion, but it will add time to your game. It worked very well 2 player so that was great! #Top50" - only to name one statement.

However, I defintitely see that this expansion is not for everyone. Whoever enjoys the lightness and fast play, should double think if he/she buys the expansion.

Any idea when it will be available in the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RabidPickle wrote:

Any idea when it will be available in the US?

Sorry, I don't have any infos about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed Mayfair and even they are unsure. It doesn't look like it's coming any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Came here to see if I should add it to an order. I guess that answers the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
AlexP wrote:

I'm glad to hear it works well at 2-player. That's pretty much all I play, so I'm really interested in the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Whittaker
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit I'm slightly torn on getting this expansion. I love the base game for it's simplicity and speed, but I also like more meaty strategy games and puzzles.

Can someone tell me can a player do well by focussing on getting points mainly from the base game scoring and largely ignoring the journeyman board - just taking the journeyman bonuses that they happen to get by chance? If so, that might be a way to ease players into it without being too overwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In my mind: No. Moving your journeyman is for free, so not using him or not taking him into account means you make less points. Not many points, but you would have a disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It adds a lot of tactical thinking to the game. You can probably just add a few rules of the expansion at a time if you need to ease someone into it.

Example:
1. Advance warrior track if your tile is purchased and just give each player a free choice of any advance. Don't worry about: requirements for an advance except paying gold for a bridge, the benefit tiles, and moving the journeyman. Get the benefits printed on the board.
2. Add requirements for a free advance if you have it in your kingdom.
3. Add the benefit tiles.
4. Add moving the journeyman and use the full official rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Pfefferle
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
We played it yesterday for the first time and we enjoyed it. It feels like Isle of Skye and Russian Railroads had a child together.

But yes, it clearly raises the weight of the base game by a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
... You can probably just add a few rules of the expansion at a time if you need to ease someone into it.

Example:
1. Advance warrior track if your tile is purchased and just give each player a free choice of any advance. Don't worry about: requirements for an advance except paying gold for a bridge, the benefit tiles, and moving the journeyman. Get the benefits printed on the board.

I like this idea as an introduction to the expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the base game so much that I rate it a 10. For me it is the perfect experience in terms of depth and time to play. We usually play three games in a row on an evening.

I was afraid that the expansion would ruin the experience by adding too much complexity. We finally got to play it last week, and I am relieved to say I like it. Not as much as the base game, but for me it provides a welcome refreshment. I like how it adds more relevant choices in tile placement, and in considering buying tiles that you would otherwise ignore.

whittaker007 wrote:
I have to admit I'm slightly torn on getting this expansion. I love the base game for it's simplicity and speed, but I also like more meaty strategy games and puzzles.

Can someone tell me can a player do well by focussing on getting points mainly from the base game scoring and largely ignoring the journeyman board - just taking the journeyman bonuses that they happen to get by chance? If so, that might be a way to ease players into it without being too overwhelming.

Based on my one game with the expansion, I would say that you should still mainly focus on the general scoring rounds. However, you should not ignore the journeyman board because it provides very strong bonuses. Ranging from direct victory points, to victory points or income each round, to some very strong bonuses like the bank paying for your tiles.

Walking on the journeyman board is an additional action that does not interfere with your normal planning. However, when you want to progress on the board you will have to make tactical decisions that are otherwise not optimal for your scoring strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.