Salvo II» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Solitaire Playthrough of the Corfu Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game second-hand for Christmas and recently gave it "a shot".

I decided to play the Corfu scenario, as I had read about this episode in "The Guns of August" and it seems a good introductory battle with few vessels.

The game started off with Goeben achieving a tremendous hit on "Defence" and blowing it up outright. The British heavy cruisers only managed to score a single "Weapons" hit on Breslau before the superior speed of the German ships put them out of range. I was impressed at this stage how negative modifiers easily stack up against you.

With the German ships out of range of the cruisers, the "quarrel with the foe was taken up" by the two British destroyer flotillas. DD1 managed to get within torpedo range of the Goeben, the German ships failing dismally on all their attack rolls for many turns.
DD1 launched its torpedo spread and... Goeben managed to evade the torpedoes with a dramatic last-moment turn (the British roll failed by 1).

In the next turn, Goeben inflicted a heavy hit on British DD2. The Royal Navy decided to call it a day, and the scenario ended in a German win.
History continues unchanged. Only Troubridge avoids his court-martial, at the cost of the lives of hundreds of British sailors.

It is an unbalanced scenario, unless the Royal Navy scores a lucky Speed hit on the Goeben on turns 1 or 2, it is exceedingly difficult for them to have a fair chance of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.