Subject: android / Ios App update ETA? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jérémy royaux
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey there
Any information about app update?
I've been waiting for the update to play ... I got my parties on the app but we got so many updated cards with wave 2 that i can't track it if i play without the app

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps i'm just old-fashioned in this regard, but this is a great example of why app integration with a board game is generally a silly idea.

Consider: in 30 years you (or your descendants) will be able to open up your S&S box and start playing, but that software (and maybe even the platform it's running on) will be long gone by then. You (or your descendants) will not have the joy of finding your hand-written notes chronicling the old S&S campaign, because those notes will be on a long-since-dead chip inside a long-since-dead mobile device. :`(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorka Morka
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
blackshad wrote:
hey there
Any information about app update?
I've been waiting for the update to play ... I got my parties on the app but we got so many updated cards with wave 2 that i can't track it if i play without the app

I wouldn't count on it any time soon. With their previous project Galaxy Defenders it's been over 2 years between the promise of updating the app and... well... nothing. It still isn't updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering how long wave 2 was delayed, I can't believe they didn't update the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
Considering how long wave 2 was delayed, I can't believe they didn't update the app.

Kids these days are so impatient! When i was a kid the Conan campaign promised an App and we're still waiting on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:

Consider: in 30 years you (or your descendants) will be able to open up your S&S box and start playing, but that software (and maybe even the platform it's running on) will be long gone by then.

Consider that you can play any game from 30 years ago today if you want to.
There's emulators for anything you like.

Your phone won't likely exist in 30 years in its current form, but you can be sure you'll still be able to use the app if you would like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Consider: in 30 years you (or your descendants) will be able to open up your S&S box and start playing, but that software (and maybe even the platform it's running on) will be long gone by then.

There's emulators for anything you like.

Your phone won't likely exist in 30 years in its current form, but you can be sure you'll still be able to use the app if you would like.

Yeah, if I want to play all the video games from 30 years ago, that's still absolutely an option (in fact I would argue it's even better now because they're available freely and on more devices).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Consider trying it. In theory it works. In practice it's very limited. e.g. games with certain assumptions about the system speed often don't work as-is, running unplayable fast by modern standards. An app which runs in 640x480 resolution will, in full-screen mode on a 24-inch monitor, be almost unplayably pixelated. In windowed mode such an app is unplayably small. Yes, many work. Yes, many don't. i actually still play Masters of Orion 2 (the DOS version, not the Win95 version), released in 1995 or 96, fairly regularly, but i have to tell dosbox to multiply the screen resolution by 2 or else it's too small to see.

Also, there's a tech gap here: DOS games almost all run (for a given definition of "run") in dosbox/dosemu, whereas old Windows games tend (on average) to not work in wine (or even newer versions of Windows). AFAIK, no (or very few) professionally-published DOS-mode games were actively developed after about 1997. Thus we've got tons of games from post-Win95 which can't be run anymore, or only run under highly-tweaked wine configurations or dedicated VMs running the appropriate Windows version (which, technically speaking, requires a license for that Windows version, and nobody on earth is going to have a Win98 license 20 years from now).

GrandMasterFox wrote:

Yes, in theory it's possible (the tech is certainly there). In practice, i doubt that it will be the case. That said, software development has changed a great deal (improved) since the Good Old Days, and many apps being created today may just need to be recompiled on a new platform in order to get them to work in 20 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jérémy royaux
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to those giving opinons about the "need" for the app... Thx but no thx

in fact, i play solo 100% of the time
with the app, i can handle 3 heroes without trouble and with limited space on my side of the table.

If i need to play with 3 heroes and put all the cards on the same side of the table, i need to buy a new one (and my table is already quite large). Any more clutter and i'll have to slide around with my chair to pick stuff, and that's very bad for my back

So, yeah, the app is usefull
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucien nutlasil
msg tools

It does not make sense to have an outdated application, because no one who plays with Wave 2 is going to use it, right now it is quite useless, and what will happen is the generation of games, the one that is not used will make the game lose a lot. interest, and it would be a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good app is a good app. The S&S app leaves a bit to be desired, unfortunately. It's very good for tracking a group of characters, skills and items as long as you can add all of the items, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucien nutlasil
msg tools

Is it so complicated to update the app in this game? I think it's a lack of interest in something that no longer reports money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Saukendar wrote:

Is it so complicated to update the app in this game? I think it's a lack of interest in something that no longer reports money.

Believe me, the truth can't be more far than this... Ares is investing A LOT of money in developing Apps, the real problem is represented by the development teams, the team used for GD is no longer in activity, while this new one has got important (and huge) deal from another company and we can't do anything other than wait our "turn"...

As you can easily imagine, there are no other choices than wait, cause re-write completely the code is not possible at all

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.