Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg Senko
United States
North Ridgeville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Imperial Assault but I'd love to get into it. For anyone that's run the companion app, would you say it allows this game to be functionally played solo? That's a make-or-break for me in deciding to buy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leppry_Khan wrote:
I've never played Imperial Assault but I'd love to get into it. For anyone that's run the companion app, would you say it allows this game to be functionally played solo? That's a make-or-break for me in deciding to buy this game.

The app has absolutely saved SWIA for me and I'm only playing it solo right now. I was getting ready to trade or sell SWIA but was just waiting for the app to see if it could reignite my interest. It absolutely has!
In fact prior to the app Gloomhaven and Kingdom Death: Monster were the two games that were competing for my attention. SWIA now has pushed its way back into the rotation thanks to the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends what you call "solid", I guess? The App doesn't see the board, nor know the figures positions on it. So it gives "generic" orders and lets you guess what it means, and how to apply it in the toughest way for the Rebels. It also doesn't know the current health of figures, so it will not always activate a figure that's about to get blown away. These are points that keep the AI "a significant step below" the performance of a human player.
If you don't mind this, then by all means - you're game. For 5 missions right now. And more if you use the fan app (which I'd definitely recommend - it works about the same logic, but plays the campaign from the base game).

Edit: As for me, and my very personal opinion, I'll probably replay the campaign now that villain packs are supported, in hard mode, to try and beat it proper. But that'll probably be my last play of this campaign. I don't see myself playing more than that (i.e. 3 total times) the same campaign with the app. I'll probably switch over to the fan app, and play that a bit. Though not back-to-back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the game once the app was released and have no regrets! Even bought the Jabba expansion anticipating that FFG would be adding content but you certainly don't need to purchase anything beyond the core set to enjoy the game with the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also there is a pretty solid card mechanic for solo Redjax, that is in the file section, and another awesome way to play the actual campaign via a web app someone here has done.

I also found the minis very fun to paint, which is solo play for me! Some cheap paints at wal mart, fire up sorostro's you tube videos, and you can make your IA look cool too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
flag msg tools
it's a movie...
badge
…boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leppry_Khan wrote:

It's kind of a let down, bc it's also a different game than the 1vsAll campaigns - crippled rules and boring AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herman92 wrote:
As for me, and my very personal opinion, I'll probably replay the campaign now that villain packs are supported, in hard mode, to try and beat it proper. But that'll probably be my last play of this campaign. I don't see myself playing more than that (i.e. 3 total times) the same campaign with the app.

I agree, the campaign is short and not really that interesting. Until there's more content, I don't see how it can justify buying Imperial Assault.
I think I enjoyed playing the base game campaign using RAEV more. But the best option is playing against a human opponent, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought IA when it came out and played 2 missions with my regular gaming buddy. The missions were so unbalanced that we decided to drop it.

IA has been gathering dust until the recent launch of the app. We gave it another go and had a blast! I like this play style a lot more than 1 vs many.

I am now eagerly awaiting which big box expansion will be needed for the next campaign so I can start buying my first expansion. It is my prediction that FFG will follow the same strategy as with Descent (Seeds of Corruption required Shadows of Nerekhall).

My bet is on Jabba's Realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see, opinions vary. I think the app is great. I also enjoy 1 v many play, but the app has solved some of the problems that 1 v many has. Campaigns have a run-way-leader problem that I think is partly tied to the reward structure. The app has solved that nicely.

The lack of content argument is not compelling because FFG will support the app with new content and campaigns into the foreseeable future. They just released the rest of the imperial expansions into the app. I expect to see a new campaign within a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
100%. It is amazing as solo play or coop. Right now there is just one campaign that we really enjoyed. We may even restart on hard and see how we do.

There was a new update only a couple days ago adding all expansions to the game. That was the next step before more campaigns are added. Hopefully they are coming in a month or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The App gives a third way to play Imperial Assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zett
msg tools
I personally found the app too easy. Also I didn't feel it let me really experience the game fully as the level progression in regards to character xp only allows you to select 4 total skills. As opposed to being able to distribute your xp in the 1v5 campaign (9-14 total xp depending on win/losses).

And since my group is tied up in Gloomhaven I've actually played through the entire campaign including all the expansions by myself playing both the imperial / rebels.

This was actually way more fun for me than playing the app. Plus you get to really appreciate the fine tuning on some of the missions. Especially when it comes down to the final round and the last few actions to win or lose depending on the roll of the dice.

This pressure seems to be largely missing from the app campaign even on hard mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zedt wrote:
I personally found the app too easy. Also I didn't feel it let me really experience the game fully as the level progression in regards to character xp only allows you to select 4 total skills. As opposed to being able to distribute your xp in the 1v5 campaign (9-14 total xp depending on win/losses).

And since my group is tied up in Gloomhaven I've actually played through the entire campaign including all the expansions by myself playing both the imperial / rebels.

This was actually way more fun for me than playing the app. Plus you get to really appreciate the fine tuning on some of the missions. Especially when it comes down to the final round and the last few actions to win or lose depending on the roll of the dice.

This pressure seems to be largely missing from the app campaign even on hard mode.

My group lost two missions by 1 movement point in each. It was close for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zedt wrote:

Did you play on hard mode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
We had a blast and want to do it again on hard mode. Has anyone done hard? How is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thorn

Middletown
New York
msg tools
Works great solo. I especially love the map will be hidden at the start unlike in the regular campaign. It's also nice there are some differences with each playthough to keep it fresh. Can't wait for more campaigns.

As for difficulty, i'm finding my second playthrough with 3 characters significantly harder than with 2.....but i'm chalking that up to having the same number of activations, but 11 less bonus health (3 characters X 3 bonus vs. 2 characters x 10 bonus).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UpstateFan wrote:
As for difficulty, i'm finding my second playthrough with 3 characters significantly harder than with 2.....but i'm chalking that up to having the same number of activations, but 11 less bonus health (3 characters X 3 bonus vs. 2 characters x 10 bonus).

The 3rd character provides you with that bonus health, though? In both situations you'll have just over 40 total health (depending on exactly which heroes you take).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
zedt wrote:

My bold. I would assume, yes, Zett played on hard mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COMaestro wrote:
Jjdelanoche wrote:
zedt wrote:

My bold. I would assume, yes, Zett played on hard mode.

I don't know how I missed that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Can this played be solo with the app?
Sure

Is it fun?
Sure

Is it worth getting just for the app?
Well...

I think the app has a lot of potential, but still needs a lot more work. It's odd because the Descent app seems far more polished than Imperial Assault's app.

Yes, it's out longer, but it also came much earlier.

The thing that bother me about is the fact that I only own base Descent and Nerkhal.
While in IA (according to the app) I have about 70% of everything that was released.

You would expect me to feel like IA offers a lot more content and replayability, but it's the other way around.

Part of the issue is that in Descent, you can play the same hero with your choice of class, which gives you a bit more option.

In IA, you only have very specific heros to pick from - and the app limits you even further by telling you that you can only pick 1 ability from each level.

So I can't really seeing myself picking a character and playing it 2 different ways when there is almost always a clear optimal path.

Equipment is also a bit weird. Why are we getting automatic non-weapons and can't dispose of them? That just seem odd.

Is there a balancing issue I'm missing if they simply gave us more money and let us pick and choose between weapons and armors and such?

And lastly, the campaign that came with the app feels really lacking. Why no side missions? It's part of the core mechanic for IA.

I don't understand why did the Descent app have those and the IA app didn't.

It makes more sense to make side missions for the IA app, especially since IA comes with reward cards - even character specific ones!

I think the app has great potential and I'm sure that just like with Descent, they'll expand different playing mods and what not in the future.

But at the moment? There doesn't seem to be a lot there, so unless you are afraid it will run out of stock, I would wait on getting it just for the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.