Subject: POLL: Life after death...? (no spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all know how it's meant to be played, with XP and loot rewards no matter how poorly the intrepid adventures fare. I get that it's a progressive game and don't wish to detract from that.

My question is, were you to try an alternative method with penalty, which seems most reasonable following exhaustion
Poll
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Reset scenario, no XP or loot retained
62.5% 10
Permanently "burn" one ability card on each exhausted character (to a max not exceeding character level)
0.0% 0
Exhausted character/s considered dead, leave a single item of choice from their backpack in hex of their demise, to be found by future adventurers
25.0% 4
Alternative suggestion (please comment below)
12.5% 2
Voters 16
This poll is now closed.   16 answers
Poll created by SilverSam
Closes: Sat Feb 3, 2018 6:00 am

Thank you as ever for your participation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I thought the Permanent Death variant was masochistic.

No XP or gold has the potential to break the game a bit, I think. You’ll (eventually?) win scenarios, but progress much more slowly, and the enemies you face will be lower-level. Lower-level characters, enemies with fewer special abilities, fewer items you can afford, and many, many repeated scenarios? It all sounds like a very, very boring game.

“Burning” a card after exhaustion would mean reduced hand size after a few exhaustions, which would make it more likely you’d get exhausted, which would be an accelerating path to a useless character. Yuck.

Of all of them, the third option at least seems doable, although losing access to items could be harsh. I’m assuming that if you play the scenario again, you can loot the hex to get the item back? If you lose them on an especially tough level, that could lead to compounding losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:

I’m assuming that if you play the scenario again, you can loot the hex to get the item back? If you lose them on an especially tough level, that could lead to compounding losses.

Yes this exactly. It means particularly unique items persist and can still be acquired by relatively new characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tough one because you want to see this game to the end, but it slows you down and is tedious, to have to repeat lost scenarios.

I'm a solo player who can leave the game set up permanently so I just kept plugging ... sometimes 4 and 5 times before beating a scenario, using RAW. But my situation is probably the exception rather than the rule.

I think your first option is your only viable one. My suggestion is that you replay the scenario, lowering the difficulty level each time until you win. Gloomhaven is an experience and you want to see what it has to offer. That is what the game is meant to be or else permanent death wouldn't be a variant.

There was one scenario, #18, that I just could not beat after probably 6 or 7 tries with multiple party combinations. I could have lowered the difficulty but I didn't. Finally, I just skipped it, as if I had won, but I didn't award myself any gold or experience for the scenario. Later on, I went back to the scenario and beat it. Maybe that offends some, but it is my game. I urge you to do what you need to maximize your group's enjoyment and if that means bending the rules a bit, so be it.

Edit: Typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternative suggestion: self-flagellation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Alternative suggestion: self-flagellation.

Try "Beano" for self-flatulation ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolau Tudela
Portugal
Porto
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SilverSam wrote:
We all know how it's meant to be played, with XP and loot rewards no matter how poorly the intrepid adventures fare. I get that it's a progressive game and don't wish to detract from that.

My question is, were you to try an alternative method with penalty, which seems most reasonable following exhaustion
Poll
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Reset scenario, no XP or loot retained
62.5% 10
Permanently "burn" one ability card on each exhausted character (to a max not exceeding character level)
0.0% 0
Exhausted character/s considered dead, leave a single item of choice from their backpack in hex of their demise, to be found by future adventurers
25.0% 4
Alternative suggestion (please comment below)
12.5% 2
Voters 16
This poll is now closed.   16 answers
Poll created by SilverSam
Closes: Sat Feb 3, 2018 6:00 am

Thank you as ever for your participation!

What if, when you lose you get everything as per the rules, but if you retry the scenario, your rewards are -1 lvl?

e.g.: you replay the scenario at level 2 and get the final rewards as if you played it at lvl 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nardran wrote:

What if, when you lose you get everything as per the rules, but if you retry the scenario, your rewards are -1 lvl?

e.g.: you replay the scenario at level 2 and get the final rewards as if you played it at lvl 1

I like this one. A lot! Better than my ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.