The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: State Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl Shannon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I were playing last night and were slightly confused with the state cards. Perhaps it's just a slight oversight but any assistance would be helpful. When you get a state card but choose not to resolve it right away (remaining injured, for example), does this limit the amount of skill cards you can have in your hand? For example, if I have one state card in my hand already, would I only be able to have 2 skill cards in my hand? If I had two state cards in my hand, only 1 skill card in my hand, etc? I just want to clarify whether the state cards affect the skill/bonus hand limit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the primary danger of states is that any in your hand will cause you to discard more cards when you draw a new one with the "discard" symbol on it. They can also "worsen" into other states with the effects of some cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Overwood wrote:
No, the primary danger of states is that any in your hand...

i'll pedantically point out that the term "Hand" in 7C is a keyword, and State cards are not part of your Hand limit. Thus you can have any number of State cards (just no duplicates) and they don't directly impact your Hand size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Effectively, there are three types of cards in your hand, all of which have the hand icon, but in different colours. These are Blue Skill cards, Green Bonus cards and Red State cards. You have a limit on the number of Blue cards and a limit on the number of Green cards, but there is no limit on the number of Red cards in your hand.

Don't forget that your character card is also one of your Red cards and it is also always considered part of your hand too, which is why it has the Red hand icon.

sgbeal wrote:
i'll pedantically point out that the term "Hand" in 7C is a keyword, and State cards are not part of your Hand. Thus you can have any number of State cards (just no duplicates) and they don't directly impact your Hand size.

If we are being pedantic, then you are incorrectly stating things here. State cards are definitely part of your hand. That's why they have a red hand icon. There is no such thing as a 'hand size'. You have a blue hand size, for the maximum number of blue hand cards and a green hand size for the maximum number of green hand cards, but there is no limit on the combined number of cards (red + blue + green) you may have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Shannon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your help. It makes sense now. In your hand you are able to have 3 blue skills, 3 green bonus, and unlimited red state cards. Consequences for not resolving state cards can have drastic results if not dealt with in a timely fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
i'll pedantically point out that the term "Hand" in 7C is a keyword, and State cards are not part of your Hand. Thus you can have any number of State cards (just no duplicates) and they don't directly impact your Hand size.

If we are being pedantic, then you are incorrectly stating things here. State cards are definitely part of your hand.

My apologies - i corrected that to "Hand limit" just about (but obviously after) the time that you quoted this. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geographist2000 wrote:
In your hand you are able to have 3 blue skills, 3 green bonus, and unlimited red state cards.

Provided you have two characters, yes. At other character counts, the limits are different. Both limits are easily seen on the Satchel & Journal card.

I'm certain you are aware of that already, but not making it clear that both limits depend on player count has lead to follow-up queries in past threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.