Popular Tags: [View All]
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I had an Offshore area with a Black disk that was about to be wiped out in a craton collision. There are no black disks in the atmosphere.

If I do things in the order they are in the rule book:
C. Create a mountain in the crashed into hex, taking a black disk from somewhere on the map. Medea player choice.
D. Liberate the black disk from the offshore to the atmosphere.
Net result: One Carbon disk in atmosphere.

But thematically, if both things happened at once, the black disk from the offshore could become the new mountain in the impacted craton.
Net result: Still no black disk in atmosphere.

First one seems right rules wise but second seems more thematic.

Thoughts?

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzy Vitale
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
When empty, please refill with tea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, they are both happening at the same time. The offshore carbon is liberated into the atmosphere as the edge of the impacted craton is being subducted under the craton that did the impacting, while a mountain/volcano is being formed on the craton that got impacted. So thematically that offshore carbon would not become the mountain/volcano, and it makes sense to me that you do it in the steps listed in the rulebook. As for pulling a mountain (or other black disk) off another craton in order to satisfy the "I need a black disk from somewhere since there are none in the atmosphere" thing, I think about the timescale of this game. Somewhere in that bajillion years that each round simulates, things changes. For me, what feels like a sudden removal of a black disk (mountain) in the center of a craton can be explained as millions of years of erosion. Thematically, that works for me.

Hope these thoughts are helpful for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that definitely works for me, Suzy. I just needed some nice thematic justification for giving that Plant back a Carbon. Lol

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden W├╝rtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Suzy, and wanted to expand on this thought. The game reflects the carbon cycle, with offshore carbon (in limestones or methane) lost by being subducted, and returned to the atmosphere by volcanoes and erosion. Any page describing the carbon cycle will show the carbon going deep on the edge of a colliding craton, and then being returned through cracks as volcanoes. The game depicts the amount of carbon as a constant number of black disks.

However, in reality some carbon is lost in collisions, sequestered deep into the mantle. This slow carbon leakage seems permanent, and is a serious long-term problem for carbon-based lifeforms like us. The first to suffer are plants, who suffocate in the carbon-impoverished air. This has been going on throughout the Cenozoic and is the reason why C3 photosynthesis (forests) have been losing ground to C4 photosynthesis (grasslands). The latter are specialized to survive in today's very low levels of carbon dioxide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.