Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Tsaifer
Greece
California
flag msg tools
Hi. We are university students and we are conducting a research on the habits
and needs of Chess players regarding their Chess Sets. We are interested
especially about the change of the perspective of the game in recent years
from a game of the few, of strategists etc. to a board game with wider acceptance.
With that info we want to capture the change of taste in Chess Sets and then,
to design our modern concept Chess board . We would love to hear from ppl from
different forum communities

The link for the survey is here: https://www.freesurvey.company/enq/19031b254a1f22

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're going to find more luck on a chess-focused website. Chess doesn't get much attention 'round these parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the result of caprice
Mozambique
msg tools
designer
mbmb
You may get a better response rate if you cross post over to the abstract game subdomain:

boardgamegeek.com/forum/743500/abstract-games/general
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess pieces don't need redesigning. Classic Staunton is a design that's universally recognised at a glance by all chess players. Anything else is inferior on that front, and that's the most important front. I think it's even regulation in many tournaments for that reason. And most redesigns would be worse even without the recognition factor. Of course you can consider options like wood versus plastic or other options, but I doubt that's your point.

The actual board, less to say there. There's not a whole lot to its design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Tsaifer
Greece
California
flag msg tools
wombat929 wrote:
I think you're going to find more luck on a chess-focused website. Chess doesn't get much attention 'round these parts.

yes, we have already posted on a chess dedicated forum! Hehehh, but we would like to see answers from all people, people who are chess lovers and people who play chess occasionally!!

We really thank you for spending time for our survey! We have a lot of visitors, and I also posted on a more general section of the forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's a marketing survey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tamtamtamt wrote:
wombat929 wrote:

yes, we have already posted on a chess dedicated forum! Hehehh, but we would like to see answers from all people, people who are chess lovers and people who play chess occasionally!!

We really thank you for spending time for our survey! We have a lot of visitors, and I also posted on a more general section of the forum.

I’d also post in one of the BGG chess forum sites. There are a lot of folks subscribed to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to question 3 and noticed that there were different materials offered for chess pieces, but no mention of weighted pieces. If this is not covered later in the survey, it may be something to consider adding. Pieces that are "double weighted" or "triple weighted" are, in my opinion, better because they are more stable. Particularly during situations where time is an issue, a piece that is less likely to fall over when moved (i.e. a double-weighted piece) is better than one that is un-weighted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally:

Question 2 is a bit ambiguous as to if you are asking simply if we agree or disagree with the statements alone, or if we agree that the statements are contributing factors to our enjoyment/ desire to play the game.

Question 3 Also ignores the image where it seems plastic pieces are played on a cloth board (mixed-media). I for one prefer sets where the board doubles as a case for the pieces rather than anything related to materials (though sets like this are usually a light wooden board with plastic pieces.

But overall, the product survey is a waste if directed towards people who PLAY chess. As function I believe far outweighs any of the aesthetic uniqueness of the set (that is for people who just want to look like they play chess).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.