Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Naylor
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Been playing against myself for ages now...and am really enjoying the twists and turns, depths and dilemmas this game conjures up even for a mind at war...essentially.... with itself ; )
However.. one obvious tactical element seems to be missing and this has bugged me throughout....an Army splitting into two whilst each part conducts movement from their common region to separate adjacent regionS. On army movement the rules seem to quite squarely explain movement in the singular as the army is to move to an adjacent region (not regions). I find this a bit plodding and so wondered what others are upto in this regard.
Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When using an Army die's option to move two Armies, you can split an Army and move both resulting Armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Naylor
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you.
Would you also know...
..if a Free Peoples Army is okay to retreat into seige in a Stronghold they control which was originally Shadow property?
I cant locate anything preventing this, in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdnly wrote:
Thank you.
Would you also know...
..if a Free Peoples Army is okay to retreat into seige in a Stronghold they control which was originally Shadow property?
I cant locate anything preventing this, in the rules.
Yes, and also the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Naylor
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you!
Aaand...while we are at it...
...Ive assumed that when an Army in a Stronghold region is first attacked from an adjacent region, it can, if it prefers, withdraw into that Stronghold prior to any Battle dice being rolled..this bringing the "combat" to an end before it began, and allowing the attacker into the region where the Stronghold is situated. However...Ive just gotten a card with a battle tactic allowing an army to either retreat to an adjacent region after the attack but prior to battle dice (usually unusual)...or....retreat into siege if site of a stronghold...(not unusual....unless Im wrong).
Is it the card thats misleading or the siege rules?
Should the defender always get battle diced at least once before using retreat into siege (just like retreat)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
When withdrawing into a siege, or playing Scouts to retreat to an adjacent region, no combat dice are rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdnly wrote:
Thank you!
...Ive assumed that when an Army in a Stronghold region is first attacked from an adjacent region, it can, if it prefers, withdraw into that Stronghold prior to any Battle dice being rolled..this bringing the "combat" to an end before it began, and allowing the attacker into the region where the Stronghold is situated. However...Ive just gotten a card with a battle tactic allowing an army to either retreat to an adjacent region after the attack but prior to battle dice (usually unusual)...or....retreat into siege if site of a stronghold...(not unusual....unless Im wrong).
Should the defender always get battle diced at least once before using retreat into siege (just like retreat)?

You're understanding it correctly. The only time you would play Scouts instead of just retreating into Siege would be if you think you can bait your opponent into playing a combat card that you'd rather see gone. This is very risky, as you have to decide to have the battle BEFORE you know whether or not your opponent will be playing a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Naylor
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Most appreciated, Gentlemen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AtStapley wrote:
sdnly wrote:
Thank you!

You're understanding it correctly. The only time you would play Scouts instead of just retreating into Siege would be if you think you can bait your opponent into playing a combat card that you'd rather see gone. This is very risky, as you have to decide to have the battle BEFORE you know whether or not your opponent will be playing a card.
This is also risky since it is possible for the shadow player to cancel scouts with their combat card, forcing the free people to fight a round at 5+, instead of 6, as when they are sieged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark schultz
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
pardon me sirs, my friends and I always have played that the first round of combat in any stronghold area ( particularly field battles where the defender chooses not, to withdrawal into siege) always gave the defender much like fortifications the "need 6 to hit" advantage. do I have the right of it? or, have we been playing it wrong all along?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sir fudd wrote:
pardon me sirs, my friends and I always have played that the first round of combat in any stronghold area ( particularly field battles where the defender chooses not, to withdrawal into siege) always gave the defender much like fortifications the "need 6 to hit" advantage. do I have the right of it? or, have we been playing it wrong all along?

Strongholds provide NO defense during field battles or sorties. The attacker only requires 6 to hit during every round of a siege battle. If the defender chooses not to withdraw, or if the besieged army attacks with a sortie, the target number is the standard 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Craig is correct, it’s stated specifically on page 31 (when attacking a space with a stronghold)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.