Craig Croteau
Canada
Montreal-North
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Game Board Addict
mbmbmbmbmb
The bottom half of the Avalanche card allows for the placement of 2 obstacles on adjacent hexes. What items are considered obstacles? Can I place traps? What about tables?

I would also like to know if I can place these obstacles in front of a door passage and block enemies in a room for example? ...and use range attacks to eliminate them. I haven't found a clear and concise answer regarding this strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Roe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These would be single-hex obstacles (not traps).

The rules say somewhere that you cannot completely block the path of enemies by, say, placing obstacles in front of the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use any single-hex obstacles. The game comes with six single-hex boulder overlay tiles, and those make the most sense to use thematically, but if you run out, you can use the stone pillars, totems, or whatever.

Traps are not obstacles. You can't place traps with any of the Cragheart's abilities to place obstacles.

You can never place an obstacle such that it would cut off any part of a room from normal (non-Jump, non-Flying) movement. Placing an obstacle in a doorway is almost always illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Croteau
Canada
Montreal-North
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Game Board Addict
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent responses....Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ressukka
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Few scenarios in I haven't really used this ability at all: even if it sounds cool, but in in practice it isn't. You can not really block enemies off at all or can you, so any tips using it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
While you can't completely block off enemies, you CAN force them to go the long way around. Of particular note, in scenario #2 you can use the already placed obstacles plus your own to create a very long hallway through which the enemies must then slowly advance. Definitely the best way to deal with those zombie rooms. (Edit: just remembered this was aided by a trap placed by an archer, but the idea still stands)

Further, as you level up you will have more and more uses for random obstacles. Being able to create your own if the room you are in has none, or if you've already used them all, is definitely valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Croteau
Canada
Montreal-North
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Game Board Addict
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started playing and used it in the Scenario 2 (Barrow's Lair). Used as it "Joou" specified. I used it to block off hexes between the coffins essentially forcing the enemies to walk around to get to my party. This is when I started wondering if I could trap enemies in rooms by blocking the doorway. The answer is "NO" - Answered above.

But, It is a great action to keep melee attackers away from you by forcing them to walk around the obstacles, as you start picking them off with range attacks. That's how I used it. It's the first time I used it...seemed pretty effective in such scenario. However, not all enemies are melee attackers, so it would be pretty much useless against ranged enemies, such as archers.

The Cragheart also has a destroy obstacle card (Rock Tunnel) which would work in conjunction with this action if necessary - but you would have to have picked them before the scenario. I didn't bring that action with me, I just took the Avalanche card with me in my deck of 11 cards. I also had "Heaving Swing" in my deck which gives 2 additional damage if you push enemies into obstacles.

Hope this gives you some insight on how the card action could work in a beneficial way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cdc1968 wrote:
The bottom half of the Avalanche card allows for the placement of 2 obstacles on adjacent hexes. What items are considered obstacles? Can I place traps? What about tables?

Rulebook, pg 14

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ressu wrote:
Few scenarios in I haven't really used this ability at all: even if it sounds cool, but in in practice it isn't. You can not really block enemies off at all or can you, so any tips using it?

If you don't mind looking ahead (or behind, if you've already done it), check out Scenario 4.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
For four characters, you start with six Inox Guards, three on each side. On the left side, you can place your two obstacles in a line with the hazardous terrain. Enemies will treat the hazardous terrain as an obstacle, so on turn one you're forcing the three Inox Guards on the left to funnel toward the center of the map, potentially blocking them from attacking entirely on the first round and at the very least, getting them closer to the Inox Guards on the right for potential area-of-effect abilities.

On a more general sense, you can use it to turn a three-hex-wide hallway into something with a one-hex choke point, forcing enemies to come through it. This has a few applications:

1. Force an enemy to step on a trap or walk through hazardous terrain.
2. Force an enemy to attack the Cragheart, who is slightly better at taking hits than, say, the Spellweaver.
3. Reduce the number of hits from a group of melee enemies. Only one will be able to get into a spot where it can attack. If you do it right, the others wouldn't even be able to find focus.

One specific combo I like is Avalanche (bottom) + Explosive Punch (top). Since Avalanche's obstacle creation is on the bottom, you can make use of Explosive Punch on a round where there aren't any obstacles nearby. (Obviously, it's best used with one or more enemies within 2 hexes of the Cragheart.) Create an obstacle between you and the enemy, then destroy it immediately for a decent attack with AoE.

All that said, Cragheart's obstacle-creating ability doesn't really get good until Level 4 with Rock Slide. But if you combine Rock Slide, Avalanche, and Clear the Way, you can seriously control how the battlefield is set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter McCormick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Totally did that to the Inox mission. I laid out rocks, the tinkerer laid out traps, and the Mindthief tossed out his rats. It was like a literal wall of crap the AI coudln't deal with as the Spellweaver and her pet shot over the wall, with the rest of us standing in the little gaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.