Subject: Bad quality cards - is this a common issue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simone Mari Kalkerup
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've just bought a retail version of this game to complement my 2nd edition of the original game, but the quality of the cards in War Eternal is not on par with the original (2nd edition) I've already got.

The original game feels like it has linen finnish to it, but the cards in War Eternal is super glossy and sticky and sorta ew to the touch.
Have I been really unlucky with my copy or is this common for War Eternal?

I had been looking forward to the Legacy Kickstarter, but now I'm feeling very worried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only met about five copies between the two games, but they were all very pleasant cards to handle. And the card in War Eternal are meant to be compatible with those in AE. I'd be inclined to raise this with IB&C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe mine felt the same, although I sleeved them after a game or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card stock seems to vary greatly. I had at least 3 different feels/finishes between War Eternal, an expansion, and the replacement pack for the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was of impressively good quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Every IBC game I own has nice thick cards for with horrible glossy finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was poor, quality varied, many card backs miscut (not in centre).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Yuhao
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Same. lot of miscut. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Horrible card quality. Some edges bent where the cutter wasn’t sharp enough. Which also damaged the edge print. Misaligned cutting. Cards feel like cardboard and not card stock with a core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Mari Kalkerup
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will probably try writing them, but at the looks of it, it sadly seems to be a common problem, so I don't see them doing anything about it.
What a shame, since the game is great but those cards just killed it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy today and have only opened the A, B and C packs so far. There's bad misalignment (I can live with it), a few non-ideal corners (again, not a big deal so far) but worst of all, the top and bottom 4-5 cards in deck A are all stuck together. I tried separating them carefully but there are marks on several cards and a couple of cards even have part of the face ripped.

Has anyone gotten a replacement for the bad cards? I'd say I need two of the first nine market sets replaced, and that's without having opened most of the cards yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who saw my previous message, the publisher quickly replaced all the cards that arrived stuck together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xemxi wrote:
For anyone who saw my previous message, the publisher quickly replaced all the cards that arrived stuck together.

This is good to hear. I checked all my cards 3 times and there were none stuck together, but 4 are missing entirely.

I think the card quality is fine. I haven't seen any Aeon's End content with linen finish, though. Not sure what that's about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, this seems to be very common.

I have bad cards too. So many, that I do not even want to finish the problems list. Have been through packs A and B and there is already more than 20 cards that are somehow marked. Plus a lot of them is off center or even turned at an angle, which also effectively marks the cards.

Contacted Indie about that. They would replace the marked cards. But going through all those cards... I am thinking of trying to return the game.

EDIT: Their customer service is very fast.
They told me to look through everything and give them a list of the damaged cards, since they only replace what has been damaged - so no full packs of replacement cards.
While I can understand that, I will have to sleep over the question of whether I want to go through all the cards. Especially since something could be missing apparently...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After wanting the game for many months I finally bought it and am very disappointed with the quality. Card edges are nicked, back of cards are misaligned, and cards feel cheap. What a disappointment. I just finished sleeving it and hope the gameplay makes up for the disappointing card quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To cheer you up a bit: In my case, game play fortunately does make up for it.

Still, I find it very unfortunate that they decided they could sell the game like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.