StarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: How well does this game work with 3 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey all, just a quick question for you. How well does Starcraft and Starcraft + Brood War play at 3 players. I'm toying with the idea of picking it up but I would only ever play it with 3. Does it run into too much of an issue with 2 players just ganging up on the 3rd? Does it have any incentivizing mechanics to 'spread out' your attacks? Thanks for any input!

(btw, I know about Forbidden Stars so please don't suggest it :D )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
Hey all, just a quick question for you. How well does Starcraft and Starcraft + Brood War play at 3 players. I'm toying with the idea of picking it up but I would only ever play it with 3. Does it run into too much of an issue with 2 players just ganging up on the 3rd? Does it have any incentivizing mechanics to 'spread out' your attacks? Thanks for any input!

(btw, I know about Forbidden Stars so please don't suggest it )

I plays well for us. Because each player has separate objectives, it sometimes doesn't lend itself to 2 on 1 tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We personally play 3p a lot. We don't have the gang up issue, I'm guessing because of how the order system works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays great with 3. The whole point of any 3-player game is for 2 players to gang up on the leader though, so not sure what you mean by that. If you can't take being ganged up on, don't be the leader!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
selwyth wrote:
It plays great with 3. The whole point of any 3-player game is for 2 players to gang up on the leader though, so not sure what you mean by that. If you can't take being ganged up on, don't be the leader!

Well, it's not that I can't take being ganged up on, and I'm not referring to a situation where two weaker players work to bring a leader down a few pegs.

I'm more referring to a game incentivizing a situation where 2 of 3 equal strength players find it most beneficial to essentially blast the 3rd out of a game in order to split his resources before having a go at each other.

Four player games tend to self-correct away from this scenario because if 2 players go after a 3rd the 4th then comes in and rams it up the tailpipe of one of the allied players (due to it being generally beneficial to do so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I like Starcraft best in a 2v2 format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaefer
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game scales well at pretty much all player counts. The board is modular and varies based on the count, and each faction in theory will have their own special victory condition, so they shouldn't necessarily need to all fight over the some space or gang up on someone for reasons related specifically to the player count (as opposed to, say, hindering Arcturus' win condition, or just being jerks in general). But i seldom see people eliminated from play, there's usually an escape hatch if you take care not to let yourself get penned in. If you do find it's an issue, give everyone three planets instead of two. It lengthens the game a bit but dials down some of that pressure to always be attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Bergquist
Sweden
Mölndal
flag msg tools
It plays well with 3. Yes, you can be ganged upon, but that's kind of part of the game. Since there's no official alliences, the gangbangers would do wrong to leave there flanks unguarded.
For 1v1 you'll have to mostly stick with the scenarios from BW, which are good enough.
/Y
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah there isn't really anything special about the design to give incentive to spread out your attacks, though like all similar games I find you do need to be careful and thoughtful about who you are attacking when and why to not benefit the third player too much more than yourself so there is some level of "self balancing" that is always present

But since there is nothing specific about this game that I can think of to quell your fears, fi this is a dealbreaker for you, yeah just play different player counts for 2v2 or 1v1 which both work great, or move along

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.