Subject: Ethics regarding selling a board game won as a prize rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Levy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a person were to enter a game giveaway and win a board game, is it wrong to turn around and sell the game?

Should this person not have entered the giveaway, since there was no interest in the game in the first place? Or, since there were no stipulations expressly forbidding selling the game upon winning it, is it OK to do whatever the person wants to do with the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
You won it, it's yours. Do with it what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it seems like once you win something, you own it, and at that point, it's yours to with as you wish. I don't really see an ethical dilemma here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Jack attack
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m with everyone else. It’s a pretty cut and dry answer; you own it, do with it what makes you happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you feel bad if you won a new car or appliance and flipped it? If not, what's the difference? (other than a couple of zeros )

Are you thinking "Someone else may have won it and played it"? If you sell the game, perhaps it will finance your next game purchase. Then's it's like you won the game you wanted to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m of the opinion that if you don’t want the prize, then don’t enter the competition, leave it for people who actually want the game/whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I disagree with the first few replies. Of course selling a prize is not legally wrong, but I do think it's kind of crummy behaviour, especially if you won it with the intention of selling it after.
I think that if you're not interested in the prize, you shouldn't enter and leave the prize to someone who actually wants it -- and this goes for any prize draw or contest.

If you accidentally win something you already own, why not return the favour and give away or raffle off the exess copy? (With the receiver paying shipping, obviously, so you're not out of pocket.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Preiser
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's yours, do what you will.
I don't see an ethics issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have to disagree with the last few replies purely because it isn't always so cut-and-dry. I certainly know that I've entered competitions because I would love to win one of the prizes, but if I won one of the other prizes I would probably sell it because I already own that item, or whatever. So I guess I agree with the sentiment that once you own it, it is yours to do with as you please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done it. No regrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trence wrote:
I’m of the opinion that if you don’t want the prize, then don’t enter the competition, leave it for people who actually want the game/whatever.

Oh, c'mon, maybe he was interested, but his eye has roamed elsewhere. Interest is fickle.

Maybe he was interested in it .... interested in reselling it, harhar.

If he wins the game, if someone else wins the game, if he wins the game resells it and buys another game, in all cases the end result is the same: someone gains a game they intend to play, subsidized by the contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
To go a step further, there is nothing wrong with entering contests with the intention of doing WHATEVER YOU WANT with the item you may or may not win.

You don't have to use it for it's intended purpose, you don't have to use it in a manner in which others think is most appropriate. You can do WHATEVER YOU WANT with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option (for future readers) would be to offer it up in the Games for GeekGold raffle. That way you don't make any real-world profit and someone who wants the game gets it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end someone who wants the game ends up with it. I see no problem here at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trence wrote:

What if they are giving away three games, but you only want one, can you enter then? Can you then sell the game you didn't want if you got that one instead? What if you wanted it, but then didn't like it, can you sell it then?

Instead of opening up all these situations where it would/wouldn't be ok depending on factor x, y, or z, I think it's just easier to say, "You won it, it's yours. Do with it what you want."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
I enter every contest on the main page of bgg, and some of the games i have no interest in. Free stuff is free stuff, and i’d gladly take free stuff to do whatever i want with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ethically, I don’t care, do whatever you want with it. If the game wasn’t available yet, and you were trying to sell it for a high price because of that, and I knew you personally, I’d probably call you on it and think less of you. If I were in that situation, if it was a valuable game I’d probably save it for Jack Vasek auction (which I’ve done) or if it wasn’t valuable I’d post it on geekmarket for $1+shipping (which I should do, but I’m lazy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HairyPotter wrote:
If a person were to enter a game giveaway and win a board game, is it wrong to turn around and sell the game?

Should this person not have entered the giveaway, since there was no interest in the game in the first place? Or, since there were no stipulations expressly forbidding selling the game upon winning it, is it OK to do whatever the person wants to do with the game?

Are you upset at a specific instance of this happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking personally I have won 3 contests on BGG so far (4 games) and all have been sold, unplayed, bar 1, via the marketplace. Where possible I have been able to obtain a game I really wanted and I'm happy, so I don't see a problem with that.

Should I only enter competitions to win games I actually want and thus have less chance of winning anything or should I get a fine, nice, shiny badge and a higher chance of winning a game, any game, to enhance my experience of the hobby? Pointless question really.

It actually benefits everyone as the games I sell, I sell to people who actually want the game and probably entered the respective competition and had been hugely disappointed. End result is a fan of the game actually getting the game at cheaper cost, me being able to purchase a game I really wanted and the host reading good stats for number of entries etc. As far as I can see, that's a win/win all round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason J
msg tools
Depends on the contest parameters. For example, if the contest involved writing about your favorite game that unfortunately you are unable to afford all with the intention of selling if you win that would be unethical since it would be basically tricking the person hosting the giveaway if their intent is to match players with their fav games they are unable to afford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Karlsek
Sweden
flag msg tools
While I have no ethical qualms about the behaviour per se, I will say it makes more sense for items such as cars and appliances. Board games just aren't (imho) valuable enough that it would be worth the time investment to enter a competition and then sell it. I'd rather let someone with a smaller disposable income have a bigger chance at getting the game they want for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William B.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ethically, there is nothing wrong with doing this. You won it, you can do whatever you want with it. I always come back to Christmas gifts. If I am given a game as a present, then I can do whatever I want with it. Now, sometimes I might keep it to make the person who gave it to me happy but that is still my choice.

Personally though, I don't want to enter a contest (say on the BGG front page) that I don't actually want the prize. If I don't want it, I'd rather someone who actually wants the game wins it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magdalena Rosa
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
It is a good question.

Personally I would feel bad if I did not play the game at least once. I also think it's nice to leave a competition to those that would like the game or think they would like the game. I do understand though that winning and selling games is a good way to fund your hobby. I have just started participating in some of the BGG competitions ( I have not won anything yet) I have really enjoyed readying about the games to answer the questions.

What ever happens though good luck in the competitions you enter and I hope you end up with a game that you really enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rejmondina2013 wrote:
I do understand though that winning and selling games is a good way to fund your hobby.

I doubt that is true. 😉
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Johnson
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HairyPotter wrote:

I have a similar ethical dilemma... Last year I won the MegaBucks lottery.

Is it OK to spend any of the money???

Would it be ethical / illegal / immoral to spend it all on hookers and blow???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.